Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v1.6

Old 31st October 2008, 02:10 AM

Default Graphics problem in Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Right, so I'm having a slight problem with the graphics in OoT. It's nothing major, but it's (to me, at least) somewhat irritating. Certain textures like to do a vanishing act when I get close to them. It happens mostly on "road" textures such as the road in Hyrule field and the stone path in the Kakariko graveyard, but it also occasionally happens on climbable walls. It's that last one that's the real problem.

I can (generally) see the texture just fine from a distance, but as soon as I approach, it flickers out. If I use the "L to levitate" cheat and get high enough, I can usually see the textures from above just fine, even if I couldn't see it at all from the ground.

I'm not entirely sure, but it looks like it only happens on textures that are sort of on top of other textures. I say that because the texture of the rest of the area (that is, the surrounding ground or wall) shows up when the other one vanishes. Again, I don't know if that means anything or not.

My computer has a decent graphics card and all the drivers are current, so I don't think that's the problem (though it could be). I've also tried just about every configuration I could think of with the Jabo plugin. I just can't get it to work. I really hope somebody here has an idea of what could be the problem.

If you need any more information, please tell me so that I can find it. I'd really like to get this problem resolved.

EDIT: I forgot to mention this before, but this problem also happens in cutscenes when the camera gets near one of the vanishing textures. That is, when the camera gets to a position similar to the "normal" one.

Last edited by Brassenaurian; 31st October 2008 at 04:56 AM.
Old 31st October 2008, 05:31 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Options > Configure Graphics Plugin...
Will return your supposed graphics drivers name in blue text

In the meantime you can also try using Jabo's Direct3D6.
Options > Settings...
To change plugins e.g. graphics
Old 31st October 2008, 05:58 PM

I've tried using several different plugins, including:
Tr64 OpenGL 0.8.8
glNintendo64() 0.4.1
Rice Video plugin 6.1.4
TR64 OpenGL 0.8.8
and the one that I'm currently using,
Jabo's Direct3D 8 1.6

All of them have had issues, and the one that works the best is Jabo's. The older version, which you mentioned, doesn't display the "vanishing" textures at all, no matter where the camera is. I've used the config menu and the advanced settings with all of those; trying dozens of different combinations of settings and all to no avail. I can make the problem worse, but I can't seem to make it better.

Also, this is probably going to sound stupid, but I'm afraid I didn't quite catch what you were getting at when you said:
" Options > Configure Graphics Plugin...
Will return your supposed graphics drivers name in blue text"
Could you please rephrase that?
Old 31st October 2008, 06:46 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I actually want you to test Jabo's Direct3D6 1.5.2 as opposed to Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6. It's an older version supplied with Project64 1.6 known to work better with older cards...which evidently you have judging by the instances of issues you mentioned. Some of those things were specifically reported by older cards.

In Project64 1.6
Options menu
Choose "Configure Graphics Plugin..."

There should be blue text at the top-left of the dialoge that comes up. This is the label I want...unless it isn't there?
Old 31st October 2008, 07:22 PM

The blue text that you're talking about? I'm afraid it's absent.

I believe there's a way to lookup what graphics hardware I have using the System Information function of Windows. However, I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for. I checked under "Display" and it said something about chipsets, but not graphics cards.
I'm pretty certain that I do indeed have a graphics card, seeing as how one of my computer programs likes to complain about it. Though, I suppose that particular program could have no idea what it's on about.

I tracked down (either I got rid of it at some point or I just plain didn't get it when I got the latest version of the emulator) and tested Jabo's Direct3D6 1.5.2, but it seems to have made the problem worse. Under every config I can think of, one of two things happens:
The texture never shows up at all, no matter where the camera is
or
The ground where the texture is supposed to be flickers for a second, as if the texture is going to appear, but it apparently fails.

Interestingly enough, that plugin DID fix the wall version of the problem. In Jabu-Jabu's Belly particularly, there were quite a few climbable walls that weren't showing up as such. Now, they all seem to be in order. It's just the ground that's out of whack.
Old 31st October 2008, 08:45 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

You probably have an integrated chip.

The older plugin version will support older chips but does have some problems fixed in the Direct3D8 version. For this reason it's more sacrificial.

If you have WinXP you can probably go Start, Run... and enter "dxdiag" to run a DirectX diagnosis. Should give info like your version of DirectX, your graphics drivers, etc.
Old 31st October 2008, 09:51 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

the graphic hardware suchs, thats what the problem is. if the Dx6 plugin doesn't even work, then its a worse pos then can be possibly thought.

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Old 31st October 2008, 10:13 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I forgot in Direct3D6 plugin the text is not blue; it's labeled "Video card". In Direct3D8 plugin it is blue.

I'm guessing you have an Intel graphics card; OpenGL plugins like glN[intendo]64 won't work well with those for the most part.
Old 1st November 2008, 01:18 PM

Okay, I found the Video Card text, and it does indeed say "Intel", but I couldn't see most of the name. It trailed off and I couldn't seem to resize the box either.

So, I ran the DirectX Diagnostic. I'm on Vista, but it works the same way as it did on XP. I know this because I've had a couple of DirectX issues in the past. (I'm starting to think this system just really, really sucks from a graphics point of view)

It seems that I've got DirectX 10 and a "Mobile Intel 965 Chipset Family." The "main driver" is something called "igdumd32.dll" and I know it's current, because the first thing I did when I noticed problems was update my drivers.

...It's kinda looking like my hardware just won't do it, isn't it? Well, if that IS the case and there's just no way to fix it with my current setup, is there any way that I could install different hardware that might fix the problem? My computer is a laptop, (well, actually, it's a notebook) which I know might complicate things.
Old 1st November 2008, 03:44 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

That is the easiest and most common response: Update your video hardware. In part I don't like saying it because for one thing I've never worked with hardware...only software. I am happy to find the opportunity to see compatibility on a low-end system.

Now OpenGL is rough so far that I've seen on Intel cards, so instead of glN64 there is a DirectX plugin based on it by the same author. May I direct you to Direct64?