Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Site News

Old 14th April 2009, 12:06 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Yeah it's an emulator, and because there's so much that still can use debugging, storing to the registry doesn't seem to do anything but help inconvinience those who upload unauthorized archives of any version of Project64, revoke the ability of a local backup for uploading to some one else for testing problems, and alarm Vista for restricted accounts (and also XP limited user accounts with the error messages on installation that can be ignored).

The RDB settings however are locally stored, but those are much specific into what each setting does and--in the current configuration system for those settings--can always be screenshotted from a single window.
Old 22nd May 2009, 05:51 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Hey people, it's been awhile since I checked up on the whole emulation scene. The recent discovery of the advancement of PCSX2 has gotten me back into emulation for the time being, so I figured I'd check the status of some of my other favorite emulators and came across this.

What I would like to see on the next release, is instead of just having an installer version available for download, is to have a binary available for download as well. This would be useful to anyone who is concerned about installing it to the default directory. TBH, Project 64 is one of the few emulators that actually do have an installer, and its more of a pain than a benefit.

This will also benefit users who keep the emulator in a custom folder. We wouldn't have to run the installer, drag it out of program files, then (if your like me, and stupid things like this bug you), delete the entry in the Programs and Features in Vista (Add/Remove in XP). Its a (lot!) of extra work that could be avoided if i could just extract-drag-drop into my Emulation directory, where multiple user accounts wouldn't bother it anyway, not that I use them.

Off topic just wanna say thanks for this great emulator. My friends and I have been enjoying it for many years now, from time to time I still hold 4 player Goldeneye and Perfect Dark matches on my PC. It's definitely become a work of art over the years, been toying with it since its early days and it's come a long way.

To rswedlow: If I remember (from ur CHM emails), you are Iconoclast. Figured I'd say Hello.
Old 22nd August 2009, 04:41 PM
Project Supporter

Default Keep it there

Just keep them in the app folder simpler for everyone
Old 22nd August 2009, 09:56 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

We know what else is simple for everyone is why they're gone.

bighead I'm just too damn shy but hi back!
Old 24th September 2009, 04:38 AM

I liked the settings being in the same place with the exe, allowing for the folder to be moved as a chunk, as I put it on a flash drive and it worked great.
Old 27th September 2009, 04:02 PM

Hi,
I don't know if you know it but your (zilmar) specification for plugins have been changed for mupen64plus. This is because of a different location scheme on linux and macos. Maybe you should take a look on it and maybe merge it in a new plugin api version.

First start was a SetConfigDir. This is for config files as any plugin could create. This is (according to xdg basedir specification on linux/unix systems) by default in ~/.config/PROGRAMNAME/. I've added two other function for debian so that mupen64plus real follows the specification for other files than config files. This includes SetDataDir and SetCacheDir. Datadir is for anything which is important for the user but not a configuration file (savegames, screenshots, highres textures, ...) and it by default in ~/.local/share/PROGRAMNAME/. A cache dir is for anything which only for saving cache files like rombrowser cache or caches for downloads from web and so on. It is by default in ~/.cache/PROGRAMNAME/.

Code:
/******************************************************************
   NOTE: THIS HAS BEEN ADDED FOR MUPEN64PLUS AND IS NOT PART OF THE
         ORIGINAL SPEC
  Function: SetConfigDir
  Purpose:  To pass the location where config files should be read/
            written to.
  input:    path to config directory
  output:   none
*******************************************************************/
EXPORT void CALL SetConfigDir( char *configDir );

ORIGINAL SPEC
  Function: SetDataDir
  Purpose:  To pass the location where data files should be read/
            written to.
  input:    path to data directory
EXPORT void CALL SetDataDir( char *dataDir );

ORIGINAL SPEC
  Function: SetCacheDir
  Purpose:  To pass the location where cache files should be read/
            written to.
  input:    path to cache directory
EXPORT void CALL SetCacheDir( char *cacheDir );
Maybe it is a good idea if something like this also exists on windows and set the directories like this when the user wants to change the behavior (ask for it for example during the installation). So for example save important data stuff to "user/Local Settings/Application Data/Project64/" by default for only-in-pj64-folder-user, save config in "user/Application Data/Project64/" and cache files in "user/Local Settings/Temp/Project64/" directory. These files are relative to the "Documents and Settings" directory in XP. Please read Windows File System Namespace Usage Guidelines for the correct directories on different version of windows (so "user/Local Settings/Application Data/" is now "user/AppData/Local" and "user/Application Data/Project64/" is "user/AppData/Roaming").

This mode should also be default on zip installations. If a installer is used then it should create a file on installation which contains the information "multiuser mode" or "single user mode". Something like mirandaboot.ini.... Yes, it is a program which works as "everything in app directory" when it is used after it gets unpackaged from zip file or in "everything in appdata folders" when the installer has installed it.

Just for illustration. Folders of mupen64plus could look like that on Debian:
Code:
~/.local/share/mupen64plus/
~/.local/share/mupen64plus/screenshots/
~/.local/share/mupen64plus/save/
~/.local/share/mupen64plus/save/Nad Niemnem By Eliza Orzeszkowa.st0
~/.local/share/mupen64plus/save/Nad Niemnem By Eliza Orzeszkowa.eep
~/.local/share/mupen64plus/hires_texture
~/.local/share/mupen64plus/hires_texture/Nad Niemnem By Eliza Orzeszkowa
~/.cache/mupen64plus/
~/.cache/mupen64plus/rombrowser.cache
~/.config/mupen64plus/
~/.config/mupen64plus/mupen64plus.conf
~/.config/mupen64plus/cheats.cfg
~/.config/mupen64plus/jttl_audio.conf
~/.config/mupen64plus/RiceVideoLinux.ini
~/.config/mupen64plus/hires_texture
~/.config/mupen64plus/Glide64.ini
~/.config/mupen64plus/RiceVideo.cfg
~/.config/mupen64plus/blight_input.conf

Last edited by muellhierrein; 27th September 2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 15th October 2009, 09:18 AM

...............*dead*
Old 7th November 2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodac View Post
...............*dead*
Is this thing dead. If I was working on it, I would put this on subversion with a source browser. Whats the point of hanging on to the thing in half dead state for years on end?

Whats with people not wanting to give out source code and not even sell new versions or do development that could generate revenue? Whats the point of freezing something up like this?
Old 7th November 2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferneu View Post
NO!!!!!! No more installers!!!! No no no.
Agreed. Installers are truly the scum of the earth, along with the WinSXS/side by side assembly bull. Unzip (and include the DLLs you want in the folder if its MFC or NET) and go. Installers reek.
Old 11th November 2009, 12:15 AM

It should be per-operating system, per-user. Think about it. By nature, saving games is a per user function! We have game saves precisely so that Gordon won't load into Alyx's game, and disrupting her progress through it. It's to protect each player's "right" to fully enjoy the gaming experience, even though they may be sharing a single gaming device. So I say again: Per-OS, per-user. Wherever that directory is, it should be there. At the moment, I can only speak for Windows...

...but for Windows XP and before, Project64 should go create a folder called "Project64 Save Games" or just "Project64" in the "C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\My Documents\My Games" folder. It should then store each save game file in an automatically generated, per-ROM sub-directory. So, for example, a savegame for Super Mario 64 would go under "C:\Documents and Settings\A_Pickle\My Documents\My Games\Project64\Super Mario 64".

For Windows Vista and Windows 7, it should go in the conveniently provided "Saved Games" folder. This is one of my biggest gripes about gaming on Windows, is that there has NEVER been a standardized place to put game saves or any other type of gaming work (such as mod work, maps, sprays, etc). With Vista and 7, there is finally an obvious place in which to place game saves, at the very least. So put them there, and have them follow the same rules as XP does. Using my previous example, Project64 would save that Super Mario 64 savegame in "C:\Users\A_Pickle\Saved Games\Project64\Super Mario 64".

However, as a user that understands the sheer impossibility of a "one-size fits all" approach, I humbly DEMAND that you allow the user to customize the location of this directory. It's bad enough that there is no organized standard, but when companies just have their games create directories in my DOCUMENTS folder (which I rather like to have DOCUMENTS contained within, not savegames) and THEN possess the audacity to deny me the ability to customize it's location at ANY time... it irks me. It irks me to no end. So, to recap:

Rules for all Operating Systems:
  1. Per-user
  2. Per-operating system
Rules for Windows XP:
  1. Default: "C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\My Documents\My Games\Project64\<corresponding ROM>"
  2. USER-CUSTOMIZABLE!!!
Rules for Windows Vista/7:
  1. Default: "C:\Users\<user>\Saved Games\Project64\<corresponding ROM>"
  2. USER-CUSTOMIZABLE!!!

Tags
features