Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 7th June 2014, 12:15 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatCat View Post
No it's because PJ64 Team are Win32 developers.
Don't ask me why nobody uses GCC. Everyone doing emulators for Windows just uses Visual Studio all the time. Even I do sometimes; it depends whether I'm making a plugin an emulator or what.
I don't have much faith in MSVC. Only reason I'll use it is if I'm writing some generic program, or if I'm stuck with it when working on other people's programs.
Quote:
Yeah, VMULF is the most common in ABI1 audio ucodes I think. It's the most commonly encountered RSP opcode in audio...definitely not graphics though.

Also, VMADN and VMADH. I know VMADH is extremely populated in both audio and gfx ucodes, but VMADN ... it's extremely populated (even more so sometimes than VMADH) in either graphics or audio, can't remember which one.
Good to know .
Quote:
Then don't dive into HLE? LLE is simpler. If you don't like the extra work why worry?

Audio HLE is documented but I have no idea where. Maybe in some functions reference manuals or sdk of some sort.

Not only that, but HLE is more accurate than PJ64's RSP interpreter too, because the interpreter ops are full of extraneous, unnecessary virtual overhead and excessive steps, partly because of great segmentation of the 128-bit vr's active in operation and also memory endianness with the way unions are employed. It's actually rather hazard-prone.
I'm not deadset on doing HLE, but I think it would be better if I did do HLE. If I can get the help I need with the Ucodes, then I will keep HLE. If not, then I will just stick to LLE. I do want to practice SSE .
Quote:
k, not much to learn though
Lol, it's just out of curiousity. I thought maybe I could modify it. As you pointed out, it has flaws, so I should take your advice and not bother reading it. I'm just eager to improve the performance for LLE ;/ . It would be nice if the RSP recompiler was fixed.
Old 7th June 2014, 12:15 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally123 View Post
The Default RSP doesn't handle High Level Audio very well outside the realm of DirectSound...
Smoke weed every day.

Quote:
which is why when I use an audio plugin with XAudio2...I use RSP Plugin versionm 1.7.0.9.
I am curious though. Would you like to tell a little about what issues you're having when using a DirectSound plugin for HLE audio?
Old 7th June 2014, 12:18 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

RPGMaster: Yeah, but with LLE you just have audio quality to fix. With HLE you have multiple things to fix all at once. I would rather fix and then add HLE in later on.
Old 7th June 2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Smoke weed every day.

I am curious though. Would you like to tell a little about what issues you're having when using a DirectSound plugin for HLE audio?
I use shuayan's HLE audio because it has a good quality surround sound capability...usually, under the default DirectSound plugin High Level Audio stays silent under the default RSP plugin. If I use Zilmar's RSP plugin it seems to go to LLE...but when I use Shuayan's HLE Audio, the emulation process crashes unless I use RSP Plugin 1.7.0.9.

~Groucho Marx
Old 7th June 2014, 12:30 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

ok thanks for your responses

Quote:
I use shuayan's HLE audio because it has a good quality surround sound capability...
It does yeah, since it is an XAudio2 implementation, perhaps the one you showed me off the stuff spacy51 came up with on VBA-M. XAudio2 is like an enhanced version of DirectSound, so naturally it can give some better audio.

Quote:
usually, under the default DirectSound plugin High Level Audio stays silent under the default RSP plugin.
This is because the default DirectSound plugin (you mean by Jabo right?) is intended for LLE audio. It does not aim for a HLE audio approach. You need to use a LLE RSP plugin with it.

Quote:
If I use Zilmar's RSP plugin it seems to go to LLE...but when I use Shuayan's HLE Audio, the emulation process crashes unless I use RSP Plugin 1.7.0.9.
Shunyuan's LLE audio plugin has a hack to work with a HLE RSP, but it is still LLE. That might be why you have the crash.

Which is faster? Do you get more speed from the emulation if you tell Project64 to use LLE while using Shunyuan's audio, or if you say use High-level audio when using it

Last edited by HatCat; 7th June 2014 at 12:33 AM.
Old 7th June 2014, 12:30 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
RPGMaster: Yeah, but with LLE you just have audio quality to fix. With HLE you have multiple things to fix all at once. I would rather fix and then add HLE in later on.
True, I just want to use 1964 Audio as a base now, because Zilmar's source has too much UB. I don't feel like going through hoops to fix something other people have taken care of. Lol I could just leave HLE the way it is and just select LLE . I just wanted to improve the speed for HLE even more to squeeze out a little more performance. With the sleeping method for Audio sync, it only works good if your computer is fast enough, otherwise, the FPS will flux. I'll try testing out a game that's less resource intensive to see if my theory is correct about getting 60fps with audio sync if your computer is fast enough.

For now I'm going to focus on learning how to deal with the common issues. First thing I need to do is master the API. If there's no reason to use Direct Sound 8 over XAudio2, then i will use XAudio2.
Old 7th June 2014, 12:34 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

No not really, go ahead and use XAudio2. In this day and age it'd be rather masochistic not to. We need less DS plugins more others.
Old 7th June 2014, 01:42 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Alright, Xaudio2 it is.

Well looks like my theory was incorrect anyway. Using 1964 1.1 recompiler with Jabo d3d6 1.52, sync audio still slowed the fps in SM64. So that method is not a good solution imo. Sure if you don't mind fps fluxing, then use it, but I like having a stable fps. One interesting thing though is, I can play around with the ms sleep time and reduce crackling (not completely), but at least keep the stable fps.

Anyone have advice on buffers? I think that 4 buffers would work better than 3. Doing 4 helped with the timing in Zilmar's basic audio for SSB64's intro, but I think i didn't do the algorithm 100% correct.
Old 7th June 2014, 03:17 AM
Project Supporter

I had a big old response typed out but the site logged me out mid-message. I recommend emulating the length register more accurately and making sure you emulate the status register to prevent overruns. Best you can do with an inexact plugin spec. This should make 60/50 fps possible without audio issues.

Yes... I am oversimplifying.
Old 7th June 2014, 03:27 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Yeah hate it when that happens (site log-out while posting), if you use FireFox and you still have the same tab open then pressing Back enough times till you're at the page where you were replying should normally retrieve a cache of the attempted reply.