Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 23rd December 2017, 11:59 PM

Default Joystick Problems with USB N64 Controller

So I bought an N64 Controller that hooks up to a computer via USB. It acts like a normal controller and does the job of emulating N64 games just fine, however there is one big issue with the thing's joystick. The deadzone's fine, and the joystick stays still in the middle, Y axis works fine, however the X axis seems to favor the left side of the input. There's a noticeable drop of input from the right side, so much that the joystick doesn't meet the right corners of the preview box when examining the properties of the controller via Windows' Game Controllers tool. It will fill the left side's corners with a good 1.5mm of space left on the physical joystick, but won't cover most of the right. It's almost as if the X axis has been shifted to the right.

I'm looking for a tool or a method to somehow trim the base input of the controller to map its neutral zone to increase the X axis' value. This should be easy, however I've searched and yet I haven't found anything, as it doesn't seem like a common problem.
Does anybody have a solution to this, or any method to trim the X axis? (Even if it modifies the deadzone)
Old 30th December 2017, 06:59 AM

Default Bump

Bump, I'm still looking for a fix for this.
Old 13th January 2018, 06:21 AM

Default Bump

Bump......
Old 9th February 2018, 06:28 AM

Let me know if you find any.
Old 20th February 2018, 05:26 PM

Hello Speeddog73,

I haven't got a solution regarding your current choice of controller I'm afraid, and having looked at many controller options myself, I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for regarding calibration software.

Unfortunately there have been many third-party controllers that look like the Nintendo originals but in my experience they're all poorly constructed copies and best to be avoided.

Have you visited either of these two sites? They're both in the process of designing/manufacturing replacement thumbstick modules for original N64 controllers. You could be in for a long wait though as I think the demand is way higher than the supply.

http://steelsticks64.com/?product=st...y-adopter-pack

http://www.enkko.com

There is an alternative though depending on your PC's operating system. I've connected four wireless XBox One controllers via a wireless adapter (that came with one of the controllers) on a Windows 10 PC and they work perfectly; I'd never go back to an original N64 controller now, they're so smooth. I'm under the impression Xbox One controllers can also work via a micro USB cable from the controller to USB on a PC using Windows 7 or 8. If that's a possibility for you then I'd definitely consider it.

Hope that's of help.

Justin

Last edited by justin8571; 21st February 2018 at 04:39 PM.