Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v2.x - Cheats

Old 1st April 2019, 06:42 AM

Default Can't create cheat, getting triple asterisks

Trying to play around with hacking Micro Machines Turbo 64 (USA).
Found via experimentation that setting the memory address of 0009328F to 0001 should turn on the games debug mode... Using P64's memory editor i'm able to turn turn on debug mode. however, when I go to replicate that process by creating a cheat i get triple asterisks and reopening the cheats window soundchecks the checkbox for some reason.

Not sure if this is a bug, or i'm doing something wrong on my behalf.

Capture.jpg

Old 1st April 2019, 08:38 AM

Default Don't worry, I am dumb

Don't worry, I think i'm an idiot... I just needed to add an 8 at the start.... I'm assuming its related to how many bits the value is or something... Just looked online and other codes with a small integer where using an 8 at the start. :P

Derp... Might still have more issues pop us as I muck around... but lol

if anyone would care to tell me what the 8 at the start stands for I would be more then happy to hear you out
Old 2nd April 2019, 02:15 AM

The N64 code structure goes like this:

EXAMPLE:

81 24DE1C 2400
AA BBBBBB CCCC

AA: GameShark command
BB: Virtual Address, the offset address as seen on Project64 memory viewer
CC: Value

In this case the 81 is a COMMAND that tells the emu to write a 2 bytes VALUE constantly to the VIRTUAL ADDRESS
Also dont forget that there are other types of commands like 80, D0, D1 which are the most useful ones...

Last edited by Marcelo_20xx; 2nd April 2019 at 02:22 AM.
Old 2nd April 2019, 06:13 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Also D2 and D3 cause the opposite activator to happen so you can make it so a code is activated only if the value at an address is not equal to the one you choose.

So if there is a dangerous time to write to an address such as when a specific value is used,you can tell it to only write there if that address is not the value that can cause problems if changed at that point.

There is also the 50 command called a "patch code" which can greatly shorten long codes where you either use a long string of the same values or a series of calculated matching values at precise distances from one another.
I can't remember just how this one works despite me making a huge multiple parts code much shorter,I am bad about that for this code type sadly.

Copy/paste from a gshi text guide; The Secrets of Professional Gameshark Hacking

"Patch codes, aka Serial Repeaters, are used to make a code string shorter. EG, You have five codes put together to give you "all weapons." Use the patch to shorten it to two codes. XX is the number of addresses to write; YY is the amount (offset) to add to each address; ZZ is the amount to add to each value."
Old 5th April 2019, 03:12 AM

Default Thanks Guys :)

Wow, I have just been hit with a trove of information... You guys aren't helping me out here... Now I don't want to go outside and instead experiment with this new cool stuff. Thanks a mill
Old 5th April 2019, 06:52 AM

Having so much fun... Managed to create a cheat where you can change the cars colour based on what button is held down... Just a shame that we only have the gamesharks limited roster of code types to go off. I wish P64 could push things further and add more functionality such as a Copy Bytes or increment value function. Anyway i could equip myself with a few more tools then the handful of GS cheats out their?
Old 7th April 2019, 01:52 AM

You always have the option to use Cheat Engine and create a Trainer with your own cheats and functionality. I use it regularly for changing big segments of memory at once after searching for a specific pattern of Array of Bytes

Tags
cheat, error, triple asterisks