Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 23rd April 2013, 02:18 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCat View Post
nintendo: Could you test World Driver Championship using his audio dll? It might not give any sound, but the hope is that it doesn't immediately crash the game on startup/boot which is a known issue with every open-source audio plugin.

This would then be the very first open-source sound plugin to not crash that game.

By the way, if I can remember right.
The exact enumeration of the system types was PAL, NTSC, then MPAL.
Obviously nobody can control this from within the plugin; it's just another fault of zilmar's plugin interface design.
The macro names were also made up (SYSTEM_x); there were some official names in the functions reference but I forget which.

This allowed the video clock integers corresponding to the various "system types" to go in descending order, making the exact video clock integer to be fetched a little more calculable than relying on a look-up table of constants (as far as efficiency measures go).

So, Hell, I left it at that.

I agree that the sound plugin made by Jabo is already perfect essentially, barring the limitation's of zilmar's spec and the oddball frequencies for audio recording.

We need an open-source audio plugin to help with some things.

I was going to start from scratch but got distracted by the RSP.

LaC's nemu audio, Jabo's DirectSound, and zilmar's No Sound have always been the only plugins to not fault certain timing or thread management circumstances in games using special audio setups.
Only one of them however is open-source (the No Sound plugin).

The objective is to fund efforts into a rudimentary, portable code base, into something as optimized and functioning as Jabo's DirectSound, so that we can use non-DirectX / non-Microsoft solutions later.

The source to Azimer's versions of the audio I think was waveOut, which would also be a better alternative to scattering DirectSound all the time I think.
I can definitely test that, I just forgot what RSP plugin to use to launch it correctly. As for perfection yes, I can agree, but I should note that Bomberman 64 has some serious audio issues, and I mean serious. No plugin, not even in 1.6 got it right. BTW, did you ever get those files I posted on your RSP thread? You never got back to me on that, I hope I sent the right files.
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM 10600
HDD: 2 x Western Digital 1 TB HDDs
Monitor: 23" Asus Full HD LED

Oh, and Snes9x > Zsnes in every way
Old 23rd April 2013, 04:23 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootaloo View Post
I can only imagine how ignorant I must sound, but here I go: what is wrong with the sound as it is? why should we use this plug-in. 99% of the games I play have no audio issues whatsoever.
Jabo's DirectSound plugin is a great plugin, but it has sound crackles for some N64 games even the frame rate is high.

For example if you play RR64 - Ridge Racer 64 (USA), at the beginning of track1, you will find the sound crackles is quite annoying. In comparison, 1964audio adn Azimer's audio plugin have clean audio for RR64.

Azimer's audio plugin is another great plugin, but it is more CPU demand and the HLE emulation is note complete.

1964Aduio is also a great plugin using different methodology to implement HLE emualtion. But this plugin is designed for 1964 and didn't work well for other emulators.

---------
My plugin is still in developing and I want to keep it simple to use, low CPU loading and have good sound qualities.
I write this plugin is to improve my programming skills through practicing.

Last edited by shunyuan; 23rd April 2013 at 04:31 AM.
Old 23rd April 2013, 04:40 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suanyuan View Post
Jabo's DirectSound plugin is a great plugin, but it has sound crackles for some N64 games even the frame rate is high.

For example if you play RR64 - Ridge Racer 64 (USA), at the beginning of track1, you will find the sound crackles is quite annoying. In comparison, 1964audio adn Azimer's audio plugin have clean audio for RR64.

Azimer's audio plugin is another great plugin, but it is more CPU demand and the HLE emulation is note complete.

1964Aduio is also a great plugin using different methodology to implement HLE emualtion. But this plugin is designed for 1964 and didn't work well for other emulators.

---------
My plugin is still in developing and I want to keep it simple to use, low CPU loading and have good sound qualities.
I write this plugin is to improve my programming skills through practicing.
I should probably report that Mystical Ninja 64's intro has some funky audio distortion, but is fine when you start a new game.

Old 23rd April 2013, 06:50 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintendo1889 View Post
I should probably report that Mystical Ninja 64's intro has some funky audio distortion, but is fine when you start a new game.
Thank you for your testing. The funky audio is due to the slow down caused by graphics emulation. Sometimes the frame rate will drop below 20 fps. I have verified this issue by using NoVideo graphics plugin to reduce the slow download caused by graphics, then I got a very clean audio of the intro. The NoVideo plugin is attached, it should be a useful debugging tool to isolate the issues caused by graphics.

Last edited by shunyuan; 1st May 2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 23rd April 2013, 02:12 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Haha, you guys might have noticed but I did include a `dummyvid.dll` in my RSP package. It's a novideo plugin, but I ripped out the DLL relocation table and used a fixed base load address (wanted to round the plugin size down from 2.5 KB to 2.0 KB just to show off >.<). So yeah I guess a lot of people here couldn't get that darn thing to initialize anyway.
Old 23rd April 2013, 02:50 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suanyuan View Post
Thank you for your testing. The funky audio is due to the slow down caused by graphics emulation. Sometimes the frame rate will drop below 20 fps. I have verified this issue by using NoVideo graphics plugin to reduce the slow download caused by graphics, then I got a very clean audio of the intro. The NoVideo plugin is attached, it should be a useful debugging tool to isolate the issues caused by graphics.
So what can be done about the issue exactly? Is it something Zilmar has to look at?
Quote:
Haha, you guys might have noticed but I did include a `dummyvid.dll` in my RSP package. It's a novideo plugin, but I ripped out the DLL relocation table and used a fixed base load address (wanted to round the plugin size down from 2.5 KB to 2.0 KB just to show off >.<). So yeah I guess a lot of people here couldn't get that darn thing to initialize anyway.
Whoopsie-doodle, I didn't think to use that plugin for that test...Crap

Edit: Tried World Driver Championship with both rsp_mle and rsp_pj64 along with Glide 64 and Jabo's Direct8 1.7.059 and 1.6.1 plugins, but to no avail, with HLE Graphics on and off. This is with the HLE audio plugin that saunyan created.

Last edited by the_randomizer; 23rd April 2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 23rd April 2013, 09:16 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Just tested dummyvid.dll with project64 2.0, I got two errors:

(1) If I click about of "Video Interface" (dummyvid) in plugin setting dialog, project64 2.0 crashed.

(2) If I started a game with dummyvid.dll, I got an error dialog of "Cannot open a rom because plugins have not successfully initialized."

But dummyvid.dll works with Project64 1.6 though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg errors.jpg (17.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 24th April 2013, 04:39 PM
Project Supporter

Finally I found some time to have a short look on version 1.2. Audio quality is OK so far, but I get a lot of crackling in Zelda OOT.

HLE audio crackles on the sound played when opening a savegame and LLE audio crackles on the sound when opening the menu by pressing the start button. All in all LLE audio crackes less than HLE audio using your plug-in.

To sum it up, Azimers plugin still provides much better quality because it does not crackle in any of these situations.

Also while using your plugin in Banjo Kazooie, the music volume gets turned down when fighting or collecting an item, I never experienced this on a real console. This also happens with Azimers plugin but it is not as obvious there.

Last edited by et500; 24th April 2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 24th April 2013, 05:12 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by et500 View Post
Finally I found some time to have a short look on version 1.2. Audio quality is OK so far, but I get a lot of crackling in Zelda OOT.

HLE audio crackles on the sound played when opening a savegame and LLE audio crackles on the sound when opening the menu by pressing the start button. All in all LLE audio crackes less than HLE audio using your plug-in.

To sum it up, Azimers plugin still provides much better quality because it does not crackle in any of these situations.

Also while using your plugin in Banjo Kazooie, the music volume gets turned down when fighting or collecting an item, I never experienced this on a real console. This also happens with Azimers plugin but it is not as obvious there.
Thanks you for your report. I will continue to improve my plugin and try to figure out and solve the sound crackles problem in Zelda OOT.
Old 24th April 2013, 05:43 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

You may want to updated the thread title whenever you update the plugin.

You actually may not be able to do that, I don't know
Closed Thread