Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 6th January 2018, 11:51 PM

Lightbulb Super Smash Bros 64, setting Counter Factor to 1 improves menu speed/decreases delay.

Recently in the smash64 community we've discovered setting Counter Factor to 1 increases menu load speeds (similar to console) and decreases frame delay a little bit over kaillera.

Here's the statistics provided by the guy who made the find.

I think you guys should consider setting CF to 1 by default for the emulator. It appears to improve emulation (a lot for us).
Old 20th January 2018, 06:52 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Talking

Sup Smasher . I also prefer CF 1 for many games, but to each their own.

The menu speed being tied to CF/clockrate has been a known thing. Where have you been ??? Overclocking makes the menus load super fast . I think CF 2 was a decent default choice when the VI refresh rate was set to 2200.
Old 20th January 2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
Sup Smasher . I also prefer CF 1 for many games, but to each their own.

The menu speed being tied to CF/clockrate has been a known thing. Where have you been ??? Overclocking makes the menus load super fast . I think CF 2 was a decent default choice when the VI refresh rate was set to 2200.
I been good, nice to see you're still around lol.

This CF 1 option has made SSB64 online feel a lot more like console. Outside of menu screens it seems to decrease the frame delay slightly. We really should of made this change years ago. I also remember in Zelda64 (oot or MM) the speedrunning community made emulator runs change their CF. I can't remember if we increased or decreased it to slow down load screens since emulator was calculated to be 10-30mins faster than console by load screens alone.

I just never tried it with smash, wish I would of knew about this/tried it years ago so we could of made this change before.
Old 21st January 2018, 02:26 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= Smasherx74 =X= View Post
This CF 1 option has made SSB64 online feel a lot more like console. Outside of menu screens it seems to decrease the frame delay slightly. We really should of made this change years ago. I also remember in Zelda64 (oot or MM) the speedrunning community made emulator runs change their CF. I can't remember if we increased or decreased it to slow down load screens since emulator was calculated to be 10-30mins faster than console by load screens alone.

I just never tried it with smash, wish I would of knew about this/tried it years ago so we could of made this change before.
I don't recall seeing frame drops with CF 2, but I did prefer CF 1 anyway for SSB .

The whole issue with early 2.x running Zelda too fast, was due to the default VI refresh rate being set to 2200 instead of 1500.

In addition to being able to tweak VI refresh rate, PJ64 now supports overclocking. So you can load menus even faster if you want. Tbh, it feels weird for me, when the menus load too fast .