Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v2.x - Issues

Old 11th June 2017, 11:52 AM

Question Can the video be taller than 4:3 without stretching?

Hello. I have been doing experiments with my multiple monitor set up by trying out different combinations.

I noticed that Project 64 is pretty advanced with all the different video options available, such as ultra wide screen.

What I am interested to know is if there is a way to add additional 16:9 monitors above or below the main screen without the video being stretched, much like you can horizontally.

The reason I want to do this is for those two player games that split the screen across the middle, because at the moment I see black borders where the video seems to reach a limit, unless I stretch it. This would mean that my friend and I can play against one anther without sharing the same screen.

It works great when I combine all four of my monitors together for 4 player games, but I never play with 3 other people. I also just think it would be cool to see what the video looks like above and below the main screen, just like you can left and right with surround video.

Lastly, if it is possible to set up that kind of video configuration, would it be possible see outside 16:9 all the way around? Let's say if I have my 4K screen with an N64 game in the centre of it at 1080p, but then I can see all the way around the area outside the 1080p zone in the centre. Because my 4K screen is so big when I'm up close to it, it might make a cool video effect with the visuals seeming to bend up to the bezels.

Tl;dr: I'm trying to game 3840x4320 or 1920x2160 8:9 without stretching the screen, but it won't allow the video output any taller than 4:3.
Instead of everyone troubleshooting the same things, share the knowledge; maybe you'll save someone enough time, by telling them what you know so far, that they'll finish the job and share the solution with you.

Last edited by Con; 11th June 2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11th June 2017, 02:08 PM

Expect to see a lot of cutoff if it ever happens.
Old 11th June 2017, 04:55 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I doubt doing anything that the N64 couldn't do, would be reasonable. Massive amount of work, for something not supported by the original hardware.

The N64 used a single TV, and games were written to share the same screen. You'd have to re-write all the 2-4 player games to support anything else.

You need modern hardware for that. Does the Nintendo Switch support multiple TV's?