Old 20th February 2011, 02:56 PM

Default Framerate

Hi,

I'm hours new to Project 64.

I'm playing Goldeneye with v1.6 and have Jabo's Direct3D8.1.6 graphics plugin and his Direct Sound 1.6 plugin.

My first question is how to get a better framerate... at the moment it's averaging at around 30fps. Secondly, whenever I go into full screen mode it stutters alot including the sound.

Specs:
i7-740QM
HD5850 Mobility
4Gb RAM

My settings in the emulator are at 1920 x 1080 (native) on full screeen and 1600 x 1200 on windowed. It plays a bit smoother on windowed but I would like to have full screen.
Edit: I have full AA and AF, V-sync with triple buffering set on both the emulator and ATI's CCC. Just disabled all of them to run at the lowest settings and the framerate is exactly the same.

Can anyone recommend a solution? Do I need new plugins?

Thanks.

Last edited by Talisker; 20th February 2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 20th February 2011, 09:08 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisker View Post
Edit: I have full AA and AF, V-sync with triple buffering set on both the emulator and ATI's CCC. Just disabled all of them to run at the lowest settings and the framerate is exactly the same.
Eh actually, frame rate should be better. AA and, when in full screen display, double or triple buffering always slows down the frame rate.

But your resolution is probably too damned high for that to make itself apparent. Did you try testing with just 640x480 res?
Old 21st February 2011, 03:13 AM

Thanks for the advice. Yeah it runs better with that res. Just a shame I can't play one of my all time fav's at full screen.

p.s I had to change my user name as I can't login anymore no matter how many times I reset my password.

Thanks again
Old 21st February 2011, 03:22 AM

It's not a Hardware issue with that specs.
1080p with full AA and AF is absolutely possible, it could be your graphics driver, update it and then try to mess around with the triple buffer & Vsync options.
It could also be that your Monitor switches on 1080p fullscreen to 24hz or 50hz and that would make it stutter.
Old 21st February 2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayJay View Post
It's not a Hardware issue with that specs.
1080p with full AA and AF is absolutely possible, it could be your graphics driver, update it and then try to mess around with the triple buffer & Vsync options.
It could also be that your Monitor switches on 1080p fullscreen to 24hz or 50hz and that would make it stutter.
Yeah I updated it just recentely to to the latest version. All my other games run fine. Do you know how I can find out what refersh rate my monitor is at?

Last edited by Talisker1; 21st February 2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old 21st February 2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisker1 View Post
Yeah I updated it just recentely to to the latest version. All my other games run fine. Do you know how I can find out what refersh rate my monitor is at?
I believe every Monitor has an information button where you can read the current refresh rate.
Also, run the program "Fraps", fraps does display your max FPS, so if your Monitor switches to 50hz and you have vsync disabled, fraps won't go higher than 50fps.
If you don't have fraps, download it via google.
Old 21st February 2011, 08:22 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Well it's because he's playing GoldenEye for one thing. That's one of the more CPU-intensive games even with the re-compiler. I don't know the specifics though.