Old 15th February 2014, 12:49 AM

Unhappy Banjo-Tooie issues

I highly suspect these are the result of an Intel graphics card.

When I use Jabo's plugin, the textures that lie along the ground tend to fade incorrectly and often disappear. These include the trails along the ground and the "zombification" around King Jinjo's Throne.

The issue of Jiggywiggy's Challenge not working is present as well. It is a black screen with a few "corruption squares." Everything else works fine.

When I use Rice's plugin with a few settings to make the game work to show the trails and such, the game emulated console lag to an extent which is fine, but the text telling the area you are in does not color properly at times, Banjo's and Kazooie's shadow do not show, and the Challenge looks like this.

I have used Google to try to research this topic, and I got only one result, and it seems to indicate that Intel graphics cards are possibly the issue. It would not surprise me; however, I would like a diagnosis.

Here are some specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3330 @ 3.00GHz
GPU: Intel HD Graphics
RAM: 8GiB
Emulator: Project64 2.1.0.1

Rice's plugin for my emulator runs with 32-bit OpenGL. All other settings are unchanged, including the ones for Jabo's plugin.

Last edited by yoshimo; 15th February 2014 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Forgot the emulator in the specs list.
Old 15th February 2014, 02:12 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I'm not a graphics card expert, either, but if you have an Intel graphics chip you'd definitely do well to try to find a driver upgrade from the official Intel site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshimo View Post
The issue of Jiggywiggy's Challenge not working is present as well. It is a black screen with a few "corruption squares." Everything else works fine.

When I use Rice's plugin with a few settings to make the game work to show the trails and such, the game emulated console lag to an extent which is fine, but the text telling the area you are in does not color properly at times, Banjo's and Kazooie's shadow do not show, and the Challenge looks like this.

This isn't unique to you; it's everyone's issue.

The solution is to use this old, outdated OpenGL video plugin called glN64.
http://gln64.emulation64.com/

Make sure "hardware frame buffer emulation (experimental)" is enabled in the video plugin settings. If you do that, the jigsaw challenges in Jiggywiggy's Temple should work.
Old 15th February 2014, 07:05 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Edit:You can fix Banjo's shadow in Rice by setting the frame buffer and render-to-texture settings to None.

The puzzle minigame looks exactly the same as mine does with AMD/Nvidia if I am using a wrong setting.

Try Jabo 1.5.2 with self rendered graphics checked,or try Jabo 1.6.1 after pain-stakingly setting up PJ64 1.6.1 found on Jabo's site.

Also,see what the "No Frameskipping" code does for ya!

Banjo-Tooie (V1.0) (U)

No Frameskipping
8007913C 0080

If you beat the entire game,you can change counter factor to 01 for smoother speeds.
Using 01 makes the UFO cutscene get stuck,and the Chompa cutscene makes PJ64 crash.
As you can see the usual problem is the cutscene.

Other C-F 01 oddities include floating baddies on Banjo-Kazooie.

Last edited by retroben; 15th February 2014 at 07:10 AM.
Old 15th February 2014, 09:02 AM

After a lot of experimentation, I have found glN64 make several textures completely white. Anything that is a simple color rather than a texture appears to be affected. It also does not support texture fading. It does emulate the Jiggywiggy's challenge appropriately, but the areas that are not filled in are still in color, not in greyscale.

Jabo's 1.5.2 has the same issues as the usual Jabo's, but it can emulate the Challenge perfectly using the setting recommended by retroben; however, it is at the expense of half of the framerate; the framerate drops to around the thirties.

The "No Frameskipping" code does not help in any way. It only makes the game speed extremely unstable.

The shadow works now thanks to retroben's other suggestion.

I might look into Jabo's 1.6.1 later.

Jabo's 1.7 test version that comes pre-installed with PJ642.1 emulates it correctly without special settings, but some of the "knobs" on the jigsaw pieces are missing their texture, and the entire right side, save for the top piece, is not shown at all. Similar to glN64, the areas not filled in are inappropriately in color.

An edit will be made to the first post indicating that I am using Project64 2.1.0.1.
Old 15th February 2014, 08:16 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I don't remember how the puzzle looks on Jabo 1.6.1,but the pause menu is perfectly fine in all of its cubed glory.
Old 16th February 2014, 12:06 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Which intel do you have?
Old 16th February 2014, 12:47 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

You have too many problems with your graphics card.

Like I said, you should try to get an upgraded video driver for your Intel chip. In short of just buying a supported video card for some fee, it's all you can do.

Jabo's Direct3D6 1.5.2 is the only other option for stably supporting the jigsaw effect, and it's too slow. It's not just that way for you; it's like that for everyone because it doesn't do it with hardware support. It's better to use glN64 for that like I said, but again, you need to attend more to your Intel graphics card first. Doesn't matter what plugin you use; if it's a 3-D graphics renderer you need to upgrade something on your end outside of anything related to N64 emulation.
Old 16th February 2014, 09:01 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Just disable the no frameskip code when doing the puzzle challenges,and enable again when done.

I did not use the "no frameskip" code on this test:
Just tried the JiggyWiggy Challenge on the 1.6.1 plugin.
It is almost perfect,and it even goes full speed and faster.
It has a few tiny dots on the puzzle,but works perfectly.

You will have to patch 1.6 to get the 1.6.1 plugin,blame Jabo.

Jabo's stingyness is also why we lack better N64 emulation on Android.

I would love to see PJ64 on Android,especially since now it is open source.
Dolphin got ported to Android just fine,why not PJ64 too?
Old 17th February 2014, 08:19 AM
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroben View Post
Jabo's stingyness is also why we lack better N64 emulation on Android.
What why? His plugins are DirectX they won't help on Android in any way. The core is mostly zilmar's I don't know what Jabo would have to do with this. Add to that that there is not much to add in terms compatibility/accuracy that hasn't been superseded by Glide64, there would be no gain to his plugins being open.

Quote:
I would love to see PJ64 on Android,especially since now it is open source.
Dolphin got ported to Android just fine,why not PJ64 too?
It would require yet another rewrite, it's pretty tied into windows api to do what it does. Dolphin has been designed to be cross platform from the beginning that's why an Android port was possible.

That being said, I seriously don't know why people are so hellbent on wanting PJ64 on other platforms with the existence of mupen64plus and its ports. It may have been true that PJ64 compatibility was a tad better a few months ago, but with the introduction of SI Delays and CounterPerOp (aka CounterFactor in PJ64) that is simply no longer the case

To add something to the topic:

A complete shot in the dark, but did you try Glide64 with "Read every frame" enabled? Newer intels are hopefully beefy enough to take the speedhit (my nvidia geforce 640 is) without slowdown.

Last edited by V1del; 17th February 2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 17th February 2014, 07:37 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

The main problem of N64 emulation on android is how games like Majora's Mask never run properly from the lack of extra plugins.

There is an OpenGL plugin made by Jabo,but it is outdated.
If that version was open sourced,someone could probably get it working on Android.

The only plugin I have seen running Majora's Mask PERFECTLY is 1.6.1 of Jabo on PJ64.
It has all the visual effects running flawlessly,and even the lens of truth works.
It even displays Link's model correctly in the OOT pause menu!
The visual effects on OOT are perfect too!

Another thought,how well does the Gamecube version run in Dolphin for Android?
I'm serious,someone should go test it and report back your results if you can!