Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 20th May 2014, 08:35 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatCat View Post
It was only open-sourced because zilmar was pressed by some of his teammates into releasing the code when he discontinued Project64 at version 1.4.
Wasn't one of the biggest reasons people were screaming "open-source" was because the community could fix things?

AFAIK, nobody's done anything with PJ64 outside of fruit edition, which... well. I'll refrain from commenting on that.
Old 20th May 2014, 08:42 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarathonMan View Post
Wasn't one of the biggest reasons people were screaming "open-source" was because the community could fix things?

AFAIK, nobody's done anything with PJ64 outside of fruit edition, which... well. I'll refrain from commenting on that.
Rofl what a shame. I don't get why people who are too lazy to do any work themselves would beg developers to open source their work... Like why ask for something you're not going to even read. I should probably read old posts just for amusement.

Lol @ fruit edition.
Old 20th May 2014, 09:23 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarathonMan View Post

Yeah I know it's retarded.

And the community didn't fix shit, because 99.9% of the world doesn't even know what zilmar knows about a dang graphics plugin.

I seriously have no clue what made zilmar change his mind.
I believed he was right on all of his points. He was right that the community, comparing Dolphin's open-source activity to what would happen if he open-sourced Project64, was comparing apples to oranges...I believed zilmar was justified in that the ends wouldn't necessarily justify the means if he were to open-source it. Then he ends up going ahead to open-source it anyway, and pretty much only ends up proving that he was right, and so was I...nobody did shit with it. And if they did, it was that fruity kind of self-promoting diarrhea.

I can't figure it out what it is that caused him to change his mind.

Maybe me agreeing with him did it? I'm probably like the devil's advocate to him or something haha.

Anyway, I'm not really against it being open-source either, though with how naive people get over this kind of stuff I'll admit to feeling opposed to it, though feelings will cloud our better judgment. Part of why I open-source everything I've ever done up until now is because I can't shut the fuck up and stop talking about things, and I like essaying thoughts out to myself and everyone else, maybe inspiring some other people to help. But zilmar's kind of intellectually anti-social, so, it didn't entirely seem like something he'd be able to capitalize off of.
Old 20th May 2014, 01:15 PM
Project Supporter

I like open source and I hate it. I like it for learning from others as well as being given assistance on what I am working through. However, I dislike it for those self-promoting individuals who never contribute back to the main source or improve upon what was done.
Old 20th May 2014, 01:31 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Yep there's no doubt that there are forks and repositories (and even YouTube channels) of Project64 2 forks/open-source modifications out there, but it's given nothing back so far because it's mostly for show and not genuine improvements, hence the self-promotion.

Still, last I recall zilmar said he was thinking about setting up a friendly Git repository to make anyone contributing easier, sending pull requests etc. ... in all honestly if that happens I kind of wish him luck with that. I'd feel happy for him (anyone, really, not just him) if he could get a social system like that active.
Old 20th May 2014, 01:38 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
I like open source and I hate it. I like it for learning from others as well as being given assistance on what I am working through. However, I dislike it for those self-promoting individuals who never contribute back to the main source or improve upon what was done.
This is exactly the problem with all the sold Android ports of free GPLed software. They never bother to contribute back.
Old 21st May 2014, 02:37 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

For any serious work where I felt it would be a problem if someone stole my code and made their's closed source, I'd just share it with trustworthy individuals.
Old 22nd May 2014, 01:22 AM
Project Supporter

I haven't tried the new plugin enough times yet, but what is the next step? What are you going to implement or change?

I see that the screenshots are numbered now, that's good. The step frame doesn't work for screenshot purposes for me because the popup always appears in the middle, and when you move it out of the way, a black square is left on the screen. I goes away when you unpause the emu though, but then I lose the exact frame that I wanted.
Old 22nd May 2014, 04:51 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I woke up from a dream I was having last night.
I dreamt that Shunyuan posts "bump ......." in both of his plugin threads again. LOL

Yeah no problem thanks for your concern.
As of last night I started to learn OpenGL programming from some basic 1.1 tutorials. It actually looks very interesting and fun, as it resembles what I was learning with OpenAL 1.1 versus OpenAL 1.0.

So the next step is to try to rewrite this plugin to use OpenGL and not DirectDraw. How would this affect you? It would force a defined fix to the undefined up-scaling behavior that happens only with DirectDraw. Hell, besides, SGI used and made OpenGL around the time of the N64's invention (think they might have used it in some experimental simulator for the N64 GBI commands or something), so why shouldn't an accurate VI emulator use OpenGL anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyVGM View Post
The step frame doesn't work for screenshot purposes for me because the popup always appears in the middle, and when you move it out of the way, a black square is left on the screen. I goes away when you unpause the emu though, but then I lose the exact frame that I wanted.
Maybe you misunderstand the function of this screen capturing. It doesn't copy what you see on the window; it copies straight from the N64's RAM. So if you happen to have Project64 centered on your screen, the message popping up in the center of your Project64 window in the center of your screen, and drag that pop-up out of the way to create a black rectangle of un-updated pixels, you are not altering the raw pixels in RDRAM or even the DirectDraw surface of VI filtered pixels (the latter of which I have not yet implemented screenshots for, for the sake of taking screenshots once it's VI-filtered, due to problems with fixing the VI scaling etc. ). So the exact result of the BMP result logged to your screenshots folder is unaltered by whether or not there was a pop-up in the way of the Project64 window.

I know this because I used the frame-stepping feature I implemented to take animated BMP logs, and successfully created a few GIF animations from them. If the pop-up window was a hindrance to taking BMP screenshots with frame-stepping turned on I surely would have noticed it by now.
Old 22nd May 2014, 10:11 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatCat View Post
I woke up from a dream I was having last night.
I dreamt that Shunyuan posts "bump ......." in both of his plugin threads again. LOL

Yeah no problem thanks for your concern.
As of last night I started to learn OpenGL programming from some basic 1.1 tutorials. It actually looks very interesting and fun, as it resembles what I was learning with OpenAL 1.1 versus OpenAL 1.0.
ROFL, did you really have that kind of dream?

I hope that your opengl plugin is better.

I'm about to try using winapi for your plugin to see if i can get hotkeys working. I'm not sure I have the best implementation in mind though.

I'm curious, why did you write
Code:
if (response == IDYES || response == IDNO)
        step = (response == IDYES);
? There's no cancel button for the pause option xD , so you don't need that if statement.