Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 2nd June 2017, 05:01 AM

Default Help with GameCube Controller?

I am running Project 64 2.3 on my Windows 10 laptop. I have the official GameCube controller adapter. I have downloaded Wii U USB GCN adapter to my laptop, as well as vJoy. Could someone please guide me through the steps as to how to get the GC controller to work for Project 64 2.3? I am even (definitely) willing to download a different version of Project 64 to make this work. Thanks!
Old 2nd June 2017, 05:09 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Have you properly installed the driver for it? Does it work properly in Dolphin?

If yes then I suggest mapping the controller with Nrage Input plugin.

Let us know
Old 2nd June 2017, 05:43 PM

"Have you properly installed the driver for it?"
I'm new to emulators and ROMs and whatnot, on top of which I am not a tech savvy person. If the driver is any of the things aforementioned by me, then yes.
"Does it work properly in Dolphin?"
Yes. I got the GC Adapter to work in Ishiiruka Dolphin.
"I suggest mapping the controller with Nrage Input plugin."
So the Nrages I have to choose from are as follows:
Under Options -> Settings -> Plugins -> Input (controller) plugin, there are:
N-Rage For PJ64: 2.4.1.210 which I don't think would work for this Project 64, am I right? I did try out a different version of Project 64 before this.
I also have N-Rage Input Plugin V2 2.3c which I downloaded recently. Neither one of them seem to be working, although it most likely is just due to my inability with most things technology related, and I could just be misinterpreting how it is supposed to function.
Old 2nd June 2017, 07:56 PM

Default GCN Adapter for N64

I can only guess as I don't have the particular adapter. If it's official as in the adapter released for Wii U it may not work traditionally. Unless I'm mistaken using the adapter for Wii U on Dolphin requires no config; configuration is automatic through Dolphin. You set it and forget it.

Try this:

Under Devices and Printers in Control Panel find your adapter. Right-click and choose Game controller settings. When the new window pops up double click your listed controller. A window should open with listed buttons, axis', D-Pad, etc...

At that point you should be able to press buttons, triggers, analogs and see reactions on screen. If you get some error or are unable to "test" the buttons then you might be boned. If you are able to do all the aformentioned, configuring in PJ64 shouldn't be an issue. Something else to try (if you've made it this far) that has worked for some is after choosing "Game controller settings" click advanced in the new window at the bottom right. Choose the adapter as the "Prefered" controller
Old 2nd June 2017, 08:43 PM

Yeah, it is the one released for and used by the Wii U.
Using the adapter for Dolphin requires no config, you are correct.
I can find my adapter (WUP-028 is the Wii U's GCA's name), but unfortunately don't have a Game Controller Settings option when I right click. The only options are:
Create Shortcut
Remove Device
Troubleshoot
Properties.

Going back to my Project64 2.3 -> Plugin -> Input folder, I see that I have 3 different things there: NRage, NRage_Input_V2.dll, and PJ64, NRage.dll. For "NRage", it shows a different picture than both the other two. For "NRage" it shows what looks like one cog on a blank piece of paper. For the other two, it shows 2 things on a blank piece of paper. NRage is a Type: Configuration settings, whereas the remaining two are both Type: Application extension. Is this OK, or should I change this?
Old 2nd June 2017, 11:47 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Search in Windows for joy.cpl and run it.

It will open the older game controllers control panel that is hidden on Windows 8/10 (Doesn't show up in control panel on Windows 8.1). But it's still there.

Then you can do as said above, you should see your controller if it's plugged in. Press Properties button to calibrate and test the buttons. Advanced button to set it as the preferred controller for older programs.

Last edited by Frank74; 2nd June 2017 at 11:59 PM.
Old 3rd June 2017, 01:01 AM

Default Wii U GCN Adapter flr Project 64

Did some digging and bad news. The adapter will not work because it's driver is exclusive to Dolphin, but HERE is a link to another post on this site from someone else asking the same thing. In the post is another link to an apparent alternate driver for the adapter./

NOTE:

If you try the above the link in the other thread will have step by step instructions. As part of the instructions it's recommended to Create a Restore Point (scroll down to creating restore point on this page). If you're not tech savvy or moderately computer literate, DO IT! Better safe than sorry.

Last edited by NUK3 TH3 WHAL35; 3rd June 2017 at 01:14 AM.
Old 3rd June 2017, 01:31 AM

Alright, that's a shame I didn't know it would be this risky, if Nuke the Whales (awesome name, I support that motion) is right. Thanks, still, for the help everyone!
Old 3rd June 2017, 03:11 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

There is also another 3rd party adaptor (can't remember the name) that has a switch so it can also do direct input. I would purchase thy one of you like GameCube controllers.
Old 3rd June 2017, 03:22 AM

Default Wii U GCN Adapter FOR Project 64

Well, at least you know where to come should you ever change your mind. For anyone else here's a Wiki page for further reading.

As for my name, thanks. Got to nuke something.