Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 1st March 2017, 04:48 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Should I rename this thread from RSP to graphics / Project64.exe to make it appropriate for the discussion you guys are having?

I do not miss seeing it after all. This thread has so many outdated releases and ancient ideas for optimizations; I should probably just delete the original post since all the binary releases are years old and thus the purpose of this thread is gone without you guys talking about all the other plugin types instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgoosespeeder View Post
So just programming logic errors with your plugin?
I'd say there's a programming logic error with your brain.

Without turning so rude as to blame Project64 for using POSIX-defiant, non-standards-conformant programming, I was really trying to be nice in my explanation. As long as I'm criticized for that, I won't be that easily manipulated into hacking around somebody else's bug from within my plugin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
Not sure if there are any binary builds available, but you can compile the source code if you would like. If you post a save state, I would not mind testing to see if latest code has the issue.
If text in his screenshot reads "bcdef" instead of "abcde", I think you can safely skip asking him about the graphics plugin (not that that's exactly what his Mario Party issue looks like, but it is the same type of issue, just with non-ASCII characters). A child could tell that has absolutely nothing to do with any of the plugins.

Quote:
Why are you using outdated builds? According to your comment on github, you're using a build from june 2015, for Angrylion's. It's possible that the latest version does not have the issue you mentioned.
You do realize he said he was using public release 6 of the RSP in this thread, don't you?

A 4-year-old version of my RSP plugin, that was released before you ever posted on these forums?

And yet you're derailing the topic with entirely different plugin types saying those are outdated and could be causing his graphics issues?
Old 1st March 2017, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatCat View Post
Should I rename this thread from RSP to graphics / Project64.exe to make it appropriate for the discussion you guys are having?

I do not miss seeing it after all. This thread has so many outdated releases and ancient ideas for optimizations; I should probably just delete the original post since all the binary releases are years old and thus the purpose of this thread is gone without you guys talking about all the other plugin types instead.
It just sort of went there to figuring out what the remaining issue is. It seems not related to RSP or graphics at all as initially thought. Your RSP plugin was causing the 3D graphical glitches though and not angrylion. That much is certain.

Quote:
I'd say there's a programming logic error with your brain.

Without turning so rude as to blame Project64 for using POSIX-defiant, non-standards-conformant programming, I was really trying to be nice in my explanation. As long as I'm criticized for that, I won't be that easily manipulated into hacking around somebody else's bug from within my plugin.
Your plugin is the only one giving me errors related to the config file I can't seem to stop from occuring no matter what I try out of all other plugins I have used over the years.

Mozilla FireFox and The Angry Video Game Nerd aren't gods.

Last edited by wildgoosespeeder; 1st March 2017 at 05:20 AM.
Old 1st March 2017, 05:20 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Your RSP plugin was causing the 3D graphical glitches though and not angrylion. That much is certain.
Those missing triangles are all clipping bugs I had back when rewriting the entire plugin in 2012-13.

Optimizing the plugin largely meant rewriting the plugin from scratch from the ground up like, literally over 30 times. I honestly didn't count, but I went insane optimizing this thing back then. There's no consistency in the code's base or similarity to any past major releases's source code (although anything related to cross-referencing for accuracy was entirely done using the reverse-engineering in zilmar's RSP interpreter for the first 3.5 years of development).

Quote:
Your plugin is the only one giving me CMD errors out of all other plugins I have used over the years.
Well, is that a bad thing?

Whether the error comes out via CMD, a Windows pop-up message box, a text file logging errors to disk...I think that's a neutral point of the choice of subsystem the plugin uses to wrap around the environment.
Old 1st March 2017, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Those missing triangles are all clipping bugs I had back when rewriting the entire plugin in 2012-13.

Optimizing the plugin largely meant rewriting the plugin from scratch from the ground up like, literally over 30 times. I honestly didn't count, but I went insane optimizing this thing back then. There's no consistency in the code's base or similarity to any past major releases's source code (although anything related to cross-referencing for accuracy was entirely done using the reverse-engineering in zilmar's RSP interpreter for the first 3.5 years of development).
Sounds like a real headache.

Quote:
Well, is that a bad thing?

Whether the error comes out via CMD, a Windows pop-up message box, a text file logging errors to disk...I think that's a neutral point of the choice of subsystem the plugin uses to wrap around the environment.
I revised what I said. I didn't like how I worded it. Anyways, all other plugins read their config files just fine and adapted to unorthodox coding (which you don't seem to like very much). Why not yours for the time being? At least Project64 is on GitHub so maybe some standardization can occur at some point in the future as you would like?

Old 1st March 2017, 05:27 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Now that you mention it, you remind me of the bug angrylion reported with that version of my RSP plugin.

He, too, was using the pre-compiled binary release. It was the same issue but with Harvest Moon, not Mario Party. I had patched that up long ago; if I remember it was in the VCL operation.
Old 1st March 2017, 05:35 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Wink

Quote:
If text in his screenshot reads "bcdef" instead of "abcde", I think you can safely skip asking him about the graphics plugin (not that that's exactly what his Mario Party issue looks like, but it is the same type of issue, just with non-ASCII characters). A child could tell that has absolutely nothing to do with any of the plugins.
I didn't really look at it long enough to analyze it. Just quickly glanced at it and thought "buggy looking text".

Quote:
You do realize he said he was using public release 6 of the RSP in this thread, don't you?

A 4-year-old version of my RSP plugin, that was released before you ever posted on these forums?
Yup, that's why I suggested testing with pj64's rsp.

Anyway I can't even reproduce his issue. Save state would help though..
Old 1st March 2017, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Now that you mention it, you remind me of the bug angrylion reported with that version of my RSP plugin.

He, too, was using the pre-compiled binary release. It was the same issue but with Harvest Moon, not Mario Party. I had patched that up long ago; if I remember it was in the VCL operation.
So you never released that fix? That's a shame. I would have loved to use solely your RSP and drop RSP 1.7.dll for good (hopefully, unless your plugin has further issues).

Old 1st March 2017, 05:44 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Yup, that's why I suggested testing with pj64's rsp.
Ah, I missed that.

Well, reading it now, I forgot that you said that.

I read it in a different context at the time. I thought you were telling him to switch RSPs to test if it was a RSP plugin issue or not (when I was complaining you weren't realizing that it was). :/ You correct me; based on your reply it was in hopes of provoking some jealousy or competitiveness in me you fantasize about by asking him to switch to a different plugin altogether.

I'm sorry I misunderstood your intentions. I guess you like being judged all the time as competitive and jealous of Dolphin by theboy181, so you have to treat others the way you're treated.
Old 1st March 2017, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Anyway I can't even reproduce his issue. Save state would help though..
I was kind of hoping that didn't need to be done. I guess we should just carry on GitHub instead with this issue because that is what it seems to me. The savestate is uploaded to GitHub.

Old 1st March 2017, 06:01 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
[I revised what I said.] [...] Your plugin is the only one giving me errors related to the config file I can't seem to stop from occuring no matter what I try out of all other plugins I have used over the years.
It's not finding the config file because it's normally supposed to be in the same folder as Project64.exe.

I would recommend building Project64 from source. If not, maybe a new release will come out soon. There is EmuCR if you just want to check it quick with their builds, but zilmar did push a commit to Project64 not too long ago to not let the current working directory be tangled in with the other sub-folders. That's what's mangling where the config file is supposed to be stored.

Also, Project64 1.6 and other emulators don't have the issue IIRC. Again, just put it in the "exe" folder. I think with PJ64 2.0 it's Plugin/Screenshots or Screenshots/Plugin, one of the two. Putting it there would be a way to get the error to go away with the older PJ64.

I probably had my RSP plugin write the config if it didn't already exist to prevent getting that error in the first place, but apparently not that long ago in that version, causing you this inconvenience.

Quote:
Anyways, all other plugins read their config files just fine and adapted to unorthodox coding (which you don't seem to like very much). Why not yours for the time being? At least Project64 is on GitHub so maybe some standardization can occur at some point in the future as you would like?
I'm not sure I follow.

The part I think that I get, those plugins probably do one of three things. a) They write a new config file if one doesn't already exist, so there's no need for an error message. b) They use GetModulePath which is a Windows API function to retrieve an absolute path to the config file to more-or-less hack around the issue. c) Even if they didn't read the config file, they're not required to report an error like I do.