Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 12th April 2013, 01:58 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Default Pokefan is a dirty thief

Pokefan999 (Aka pokemaniacs) has never complied with the source release requirements for any of his "forks" for any of his "projects".

These include
  • 1964mod (includes myglide64)
  • Ice64 (same 1964mod with a new name
  • Nice64 (same as above)

All of the above have had public releases, they were hosted out of Google sites at the following addresses

https://sites.google.com/site/pkmnsn64
https://sites.google.com/site/1964mod

There is no doubt in my mind that you would have to be a gullible idiot to think he would let you have the source for ace64 even if you did contribute as a tester/source contributor.

As such, i can only conclude that his changes are completely bullcrap or the files he distributes are malware in general.

Can i request that the administration respond in turn by outright refusing to support these emulators and / or direct users to download emulators that are not violating the source license they are distributed under.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STOLEN_TEXTURES View Post
Judging from the last public release of 1964mod/NICE64/ICE64 (emucr.com/2012/10/ice64-v37-beta.html), it appears that pokefan isn't only just violating 1964's GPL license. Here is a list of open source plugins he is violating.

- Glide64, under the name of "MyGlide64". Original developers: dave2001, Gugaman, Gonetz, KoolSmoky. License: GPLv2
- Glitch64, under the name of "MyGlide3x". Original developers: hacktarux, mudlord, ziggy, KoolSmoky. License: GPLv2
- N-Rage, under the name of "ICE64Input 3.7". Original developers: N-Rage. 2.0 Developers, squall-leonhart, rabiddeity. 2.0 Contributors MadManMark. License: GPLv2
- 1964 Audio, under the name of "ICE64 Audio version 4.2". Original developers: schibo, Gerrit. License: GPLv2

Also, pokefan has replaced schibo's original copyright in the about page, with his own copyright (imgur.com/3nncxWj.png). I don't believe this is legal, as GPL requires the original developer's copyright to remain, even after forking (stackoverflow.com/questions/4475319/how-to-rebrand-copyright-a-forked-project-gnu-gpl).

It's hilarious when you see this behavior coming from pokefan, who claims zilmar is 'greedy', 'selfish' and 'riding on others effort'.

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1

Last edited by squall_leonhart; 12th April 2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old 12th April 2013, 02:14 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Mmmm, this is why I never read up on software licenses.

It's like, they're written agreements, between you and, uh, some other guy.

But like, what do they do?

I can't stop people from making money off my code or taking credit off of it.
I can try and read about GPL, GNU, XXX, ... doesn't mean they can't legalize their way out by denying all suspicions and change enough stuff.

I can only feel flattered that someone would find my code worth taking the time to do that for (making money off of it, claiming it as their own), not the best thing that could happen but shows at least they think I did a good job.
Old 12th April 2013, 04:43 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCat View Post
Mmmm, this is why I never read up on software licenses.

It's like, they're written agreements, between you and, uh, some other guy.

But like, what do they do?

I can't stop people from making money off my code or taking credit off of it.
I can try and read about GPL, GNU, XXX, ... doesn't mean they can't legalize their way out by denying all suspicions and change enough stuff.

I can only feel flattered that someone would find my code worth taking the time to do that for (making money off of it, claiming it as their own), not the best thing that could happen but shows at least they think I did a good job.
The programs are malware.
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM 10600
HDD: 2 x Western Digital 1 TB HDDs
Monitor: 23" Asus Full HD LED

Oh, and Snes9x > Zsnes in every way
Old 12th April 2013, 05:11 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Mr. Syrup

You can legally sue them if they are making money off of it. But how much you'll get will depend on how much is in their bank account or they have in assets, like a car or a house. If they are smart they would make money using a LLC because you would have to sue the company, not the person. And theoretically they could pay themselves a huge salary and get away with what they did (at least in terms of money.) But you can still sue for copyright infringement. The court won't make them pay anything more than legal fees in a case such as an emulator. You' also have to prove everything but that's not that difficult if you upload something to Google because it' just a matter of trusting the source.
Old 12th April 2013, 05:16 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Mr. Syrup

PokeFan999 is not very well liked:

Wooooooooooooooooow
Old 12th April 2013, 11:42 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

His account got hacked? Ha-ha!
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM 10600
HDD: 2 x Western Digital 1 TB HDDs
Monitor: 23" Asus Full HD LED

Oh, and Snes9x > Zsnes in every way
Old 12th April 2013, 07:42 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

lul ^^ XD
Old 12th April 2013, 08:37 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdkcheatz View Post
You can legally sue them if they are making money off of it.
Oh, well if it's a guy doing that then I guess I might have to sue them.

But, a woman? Think about it. That's no way to treat a woman who's making all of my money.
Unless they're the non-romantic type, bah, then might have to sue them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdkcheatz View Post
And theoretically they could pay themselves a huge salary and get away with what they did (at least in terms of money.)
That is so hot.
Old 13th April 2013, 05:41 AM
Project Supporter

that sux, Karma will catch up with Pokefan.
Old 13th April 2013, 06:42 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Pokefan999 has a habbit of renaming his software when he starts to cop heat, this includes complete deletion of the files and in this case, the site they were hosted on.

Source requests have been made over the past 3 years from myself and other developers of the aforementioned plugins and emulator base and the only response we have had is related to his latest incarnation "Ace64", claiming that he does not have to release source for as it will not be released publicly, as if this releases him from the other named projects that were already published publicly.

If anyone has information on him, please do get in touch, it may end up in the hands of the FSF. After all this time, i don't quite think its more a mistake than it is pre-calculated behaviour.

His youtube channel banner is as follows

The funny thing is, this "child" frequently demanded the Project64 source \o/
Quote:
MyGlide64 will not be released to the public unless that greedy developer release his current emulator to the public. Trying to ride on others effort while collecting donation and keeping it closed from the public is selfish.
He edits his video descriptions to reply to my points at times, this is his current one for the Ace64 video

Quote:
Squall Leonhart, ACE64 is not released to the public and you have no right to my gfx plugin source in ACE64. If you want MyGlide64 under NICE64, you should have requested for it when the project is alive but the project is already dead long ago. You will have to search for it in dead project graveyard which I do not have access. If you want my source for ACE64, you will need to wait until I feel like releasing it to the public.

Every time someone has mentioned his violation, he has either changed the projects name and deleted any sites+binaries, or thrown a tissy and threatened to only release his junk privately. This looks like intent to me.

Also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody from EMUCR
Pokefan999 is freaking toolbag. On his NICE64 site, it says "Do not ask for source codes to be released." Are you Serious? Considering 1964 is GPL licensed, it is illegal not to release the modified source. Further more, his modifications result in nothing but an unstable mess that's good for nothing. Hardly NICE; should be called JUCK64.
This quote can probably be sourced using wayback or google cache.

If he was someone that could be trusted, he would have a repo internally to work with and would still have all past changes. His behaviour is that of someone with something to hide.

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1

Last edited by squall_leonhart; 13th April 2013 at 06:50 AM.