Old 3rd October 2014, 08:22 AM

I used Glide64 Final from here to test:
code.google.com/p/glidehqplusglitch64
I also red the updated guide in hope of finding something useful, but it only mentions Glide64. Unfortunately this plugin had many variations and it's easy to get the wrong one.
Maybe I am picking it from the wrong place.
I also did a driver update check, as suggested, but there is no newer driver (screenshot).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg driver.jpg (19.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 3rd October 2014, 07:35 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I was talking about a driver update for your OpenGL issues with my OpenGL plugin, not the OpenGL wrapper for Glide64.
(And I wrote the </squall> HTML element because I totally assumed [correctly] who your GPU manufacturer was without asking.)

You have the same issue as RPGMaster. Intel manufacturers supplied your GPU with an accelerated ICD over Microsoft's software OPENGL32.DLL driver, that breaks rendering and makes the entire viewport black the entire time without drawing anything, like you said, if you switched to the current context from a prior rendering context, or initialized OpenGL in a different thread than the one that calls the plugin spec functions to draw OpenGL to the screen.

The problem went away by disabling Intel's ICD and doing OpenGL in pure software using the native win GDI driver. It's Intel's fault.

Hey, what graphics card do you have exactly? Do you know? Maybe you have the same GPU as RPGMaster here.
Edit: Sorry I know you attached a screenshot to your post of the driver upgrade, but it's microscopic and hard to read. >.<

Last edited by HatCat; 3rd October 2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 4th October 2014, 09:04 AM

I have a desktop with Intel Core I3-3220 with Intel HD Graphics 2500 and a laptop with Intel Core I3-2375M with Intel HD Graphics 3000. Both seam affected the same way, essentially allowing me to load it once per Project64 session. If I use End Emulation and then restart it, it goes black screen every time I retry until Project64 is restarted. The screenshot is from the desktop.

I tried searching for Intel ICD disable but I didn't find any tip on how to do it.

Also, I am sorry to say this but this pixel accurate plugin turned out to be horribly slow on the laptop (only 20-30 fps ingame; only the main menu is faster). The only thing slower than this is that I ever tested is Glide64 Wonder Plus/++ with hacktarux wrapper.

Last edited by pal1000; 4th October 2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old 4th October 2014, 09:21 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal1000 View Post
I have a desktop with Intel Core I3-3220 with Intel HD Graphics 2500 and a laptop with Intel Core I3-2375M with Intel HD Graphics 3000. Both seam affected the same way. The screenshot is from the desktop.
Unfortunately, your machine won't even be close to running quake at full speed anytime soon on a pixel accurate plugin. You'll need a powerful machine. Quake is one of those games that doesn't benefit much from speeding up RSP, iirc.

Last edited by RPGMaster; 4th October 2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 4th October 2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
Unfortunately, your machine won't even be close to running quake at full speed anytime soon on a pixel accurate plugin. You'll need a powerful machine. Quake is one of those games that doesn't benefit much from speeding up RSP, iirc.
Yeah not even the desktop can run it at full speed.
Old 4th October 2014, 03:26 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

It depends what RSP plugin you're using. There is a statically linked version in the old "SoftGraphic" module you were testing, which prevented the use of zilmar's slow RSP interpreter and was slower than MinGW builds.

That, and Intel's ICDs for OpenGL on Windows have always been pretty shitty, compared to their care for DirectX. Most people attribute this to the alleged burden of supporting API entry points for old, now deprecated OpenGL functions.

As far as speed goes, turn on "Bypass DAC Filters" in the plugin's settings. It's what the SoftGraphic plugin you were testing earlier does implicitly to make it as fast as it was.

Quote:
I have a desktop with Intel Core I3-3220 with Intel HD Graphics 2500 and a laptop with Intel Core I3-2375M with Intel HD Graphics 3000. Both seam affected the same way, essentially allowing me to load it once per Project64 session. If I use End Emulation and then restart it, it goes black screen every time I retry until Project64 is restarted. The screenshot is from the desktop.
This is also emulator-specific. It happens on Project64 1.6, but RPGMaster and his Intel card confirmed that there is no black or frozen screen issue with other emulators, except while resetting in something like Mupen.

Quote:
I tried searching for Intel ICD disable but I didn't find any tip on how to do it.
Welp, I'm on an NVIDIA GPU. I can't say where to find Intel's drivers on your hard disk, because I don't know.

And even if you did find them, temporarily disabling/removing them would definitely decline the OpenGL pixel plotting speed of the plugin, as I know firsthand how slow Microsoft's CPU-centric, software implementation of core OpenGL 1.1 is.
However, it most certainly would fix your random black screen issue.

I did find this page on Intel support about enabling/disabling different driver features, maybe you and RPGMaster might have some luck playing with these:
http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-030506.htm

Last edited by HatCat; 4th October 2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 30th October 2014, 06:54 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Both seam affected the same way, essentially allowing me to load it once per Project64 session. If I use End Emulation and then restart it, it goes black screen every time I retry until Project64 is restarted. The screenshot is from the desktop.

Also, I am sorry to say this but this pixel accurate plugin turned out to be horribly slow on the laptop (only 20-30 fps ingame; only the main menu is faster). The only thing slower than this is that I ever tested is Glide64 Wonder Plus/++ with hacktarux wrapper.
I guess I didn't notice that you editted your post. That problem you describe sounds exactly like the issue I have. It has to do with threading I believe. For instance, with Z64gl, when threaded is set to 1, the issue is gone, on every emulator I've tried z64gl with. Maybe I should modify Apollo to be able to use rsp plugins .

Anyway, there's a fix to that problem, but you'll have to modify source and compile it yourself, but that's assuming you're using pj64 2.1. If you're still interested in the plugin, let me know. Simply changing where the initialization happens makes a difference. I personally would rather be able to restart/switch games as much as I want on PJ64 2.1, 1964, and Apollo, than to barely support Pj64 1.6 and below (never tried 1.7 with this). I can't remember how mupen was.

Now, for your speed issue, there's no easy solution. I think it would take some serious dedication to heavily optimize the gfx plugin. Unfortunately you will probably have problems with z64gl as well. For instance, Super Smash Bros is glitched for me. For a while, I just thought it was the plugin's fault, but I guess it's a hardware issue, because it looked normal on another person's machine . So I'm out of luck lol ;/ . Oh and for me, I get a black screen in f-zero with z64gl, but it works on other people's machines .

Tags
flickering, quake 64, solution, underwater