Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 14th December 2010, 05:29 PM

I understand that donations don't provide a steady income, but I had thought that the donations make enough to cover or at least help with server costs and such.

I didn't want to come off as a typical nagger, hence the hesitation.

So the question is: When PJ64 1.7 (final version?) gets released, can the source code for it, plugins, and legacy source code be released as well? Quite frankly any combination of those would greatly improve Surreal64. We are working with pretty old stuff at the moment.

Thanks for the speedy responses.
Old 15th December 2010, 02:05 AM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I doubt the source will be released for PJ64 again.

Zilmar was strong-armed into releasing 1.4's source by Smiff and Gent if memory serves, perhaps it was more of Gent's doing.
If it wasn't for that Zilmar wouldn't have released the source code for 1.4

Jabo I doubt will ever release any of his stuff, he's made that clear in many interviews.
He just doesn't believe open sourcing his stuff will benefit him or anyone working on a similar project.
It's been a few years since it was last brought up with Jabo so maybe his opinion has changed.

Either way I doubt you'll get a response here in the forums, you're better off asking them directly.
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4770
Sound Card: On-Board Realtek ALC889A
Old 15th December 2010, 04:53 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

The donations provided like I said, an irrational number, whose rational approximation is close to 0. This was never very different in the past; the idea behind donations is that around $15 is donated per every month, if not every several months, although every week in some periods.

I'm still confused though (to Mr. zilmar and Mr. ... User). If I'm understanding things right, Jabo did the RSP re-compiler, while zilmar did the RSP interpreter. If the RSP re-compiler source code was released, doesn't that mean Jabo decided to open-source something? Or I might be misunderstanding changes to responsibility over this or that source, so I'd like to be sure about one side or the other.
Old 28th December 2010, 05:54 PM

Well I sent an email from the main page, and sent a private message on the forums to Jabo and Zilmar. Its been a little while without answer, but I don't want to assume the worst yet. Is there a better way to contact them? A private message with active contact info would be much appreciated.
Old 28th December 2010, 07:41 PM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Administrator

emails come to me. Unless it is something I need to take action on they more often get ignored.

I doubt any new source code will be released.
Old 31st December 2010, 12:15 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

You said you had not been ignoring anyone earlier and that sciency stuff about whether you're online or whatever, but depends on your perspective I guess.

I'd be insulted if I began a project from the latest source code of an emulator like this, less so from small projects.
Old 9th February 2011, 07:22 AM

I read up a couple of old interviews on emutalk. I see you guys weren't happy in the past releasing the 1.4 source with little contributions and others using your code for reasons you don't want them to.

I could go on and on how I cry at night imagining newer PJ64 source and those stellar Jabo D3D plugins on the Xbox.

Facing the facts though, you guys have phenomenal software here that we were blessed to have its older source code GPL'd.

Still, I notice the response is doubt of any release of newer source code.

I think it would be worthwhile to open the conversation once again to open sourcing PJ and its in house plugins. What would you guys like to see come your way from open sourcing? What uses are you ok with and what uses do you condemn? How could other's benefit from opening again?

Great work on keeping the child inside of me alive and breathing

You guys got an IRC channel?
Old 9th February 2011, 01:47 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

source release for 1.5, 1.6 or 1.7 will occur over zilmar and jabo's cold lifeless bodies.

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Old 9th February 2011, 04:14 PM

Sadly, I realize this and I don't expect anything anytime soon. I would just like to leave the topic open for debate.
Old 9th February 2011, 06:06 PM
Project Supporter

What debate?