Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v2.x - Suggestions

Old 24th March 2015, 03:15 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Ah ok, thanks for letting me know. You're right that it wasn't the best example.

Man, after realizing the good amount of open source plugins, I really want to try 64 bit now!
Old 24th March 2015, 01:51 PM
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by et500 View Post
I want both. Whats wrong with evolving PJ64 to be the best N64 emulator with the best UI design and usability. This frontend is just great and works absolutely configuration free out of the box, however the underlying emulator is just unusable crap outside of android. It takes hours if not days to set up a working configuration in mupen64plus.
Them contradicting statements All joking aside, this is really not true, at least if you do a general statement like that. From the pure amount of changeable options that have the potential to break your game there are far fewer than in PJ64. Video Plugins have the same options as on PJ64 so that can't be it, sound usually just works so that can't be it, the core doesn't have all that much you can do wrong so that can't be it either, the SDL input plugin may/may not have some caveats depending on SDL version being bundled so this is the only thing I can imagine where you might have some problems that are generally applicable (it usually is a non issue as well if you have a controller that's supported by the AutoConfig). Now if you say game XY doesn't work and no amount of configuring will fix it, then you might be right, but then really no amount of userspace configuring will fix it (e.g. WDC currently doesn't work at all), but the same holds true for PJ64

The difference in spec is a debate that can go on for eternity. In the end it doesn't really matter. If someone makes an inherently portable plugin and only provides one spec implementation somebody else can port to the other spec given enough interest.
Old 25th March 2015, 07:56 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1del View Post
WDC currently doesn't work at all
It's a shame considering it works even in PJ64 1.4 (cpu interpreter) . I'm actually curious as to why it works in PJ64 1.4.
Old 25th March 2015, 11:01 AM
Project Supporter

The boxart showing frontent (without emulation) works without any configuration and looks great, it downloads all the boxarts automatically.

But the mupen64plus emulator itself is very far from being easy to configure, even when using front ends like mupen64py. PJ64 is a much more functional and user friendly emulator.

Last edited by et500; 25th March 2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old 25th March 2015, 12:46 PM
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by et500 View Post
The boxart showing frontent (without emulation) works without any configuration and looks great, it downloads all the boxarts automatically.

But the mupen64plus emulator itself is very far from being easy to configure, even when using front ends like mupen64py. PJ64 is a much more functional user friendly emulator.
Can you point at anything specific? As said the only thing I ever see a need to configure is the graphics plugin, which has mostly the same options as the Zilmar spec equivalent. Therefore I'm going to assume you mean the dynamic creation of dialogs in m64py which tend to look a bit spartanic due to the fact that they are dynamically generated. But even spartanic as they are, they provide all the options you would want to configure, hovering over them shows you information on the relevant option. Its generally advised, and the tooltip will tell you so, to leave the options denoted with -1 at that value if you don't know what you are doing. that leaves a handful of options all of which are the exact same on PJ64.

While I agree that this may be a bit cumbersome at first, figuring this out should take you at most a few minutes. Apart from that you have to fiddle with configuration and certain effects on PJ64 and m64p as well, which takes the same amount of effort. There are some efforts by some cool people to streamline and get the correct options ootb, but these changes can be ported over without much hassle as well.

Even if you had to configure for "days" doesn't make the underlying emulator crap. It just means you have a hard time configuring it, which doesn't say anything about the quality of emulation in of itself, which also has some advantages over PJ64: generally better audio timing, certain games like Rogue Squadron, Indiana Jones work better (although the brokeness in PJ64 has been mitigated somewhat in newer releases)
Old 25th March 2015, 01:18 PM

MESS has just added N64 DD support. It'd be very nice if PJ64 2.2 could have Disk Drive support.

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/pull/151

Last edited by Ambient_Malice; 25th March 2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 25th March 2015, 07:24 PM
Project Supporter

Oh yes, can't wait to play Sim City 64 in HD graphics!
Old 3rd April 2015, 01:28 AM

Would it be possible to add a turbo button but one that only works when pressed and held down, not a toggle like the one we have now (don't remove the toggle though, as they are both useful to have), another thing I think is needed that add to the turbo, is a way to cap the speed, maybe a slider that lets you pick 100% to 1000%. On my rig when I toggle the turbo feature its like 800+% a big much.
Old 14th April 2015, 07:36 AM

^ How about like ZSNES has, where turbo button can be mapped independently?
For example, since most controllers now have two shoulder buttons, I put "A" on R2, since A is usually an action button, like lift (Zelda), read, dash (Megaman X), ect. And for like the Megaman games, I still have Y (fire) as a normal button for charge shots, but then I also map (what's normally) the A button as a rapid-fire Y button.
Old 22nd April 2015, 11:48 PM

Default Suggestions

Maybe some internal video recording..?

Tags
2.2, project64