Old 17th March 2010, 01:37 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

This argument started out pretty smart, bot now it's turned into something stupid.
Old 18th March 2010, 06:14 AM

The thing is, it is NOT a PAY app. That is what bugs me because some of these people continue to think it is, and just don't get it. I have no problems with the way 1.7 is being distributed. If I had the $$ to donate so I could help out, I would. I'm really not concerned about getting a copy of 1.7. I'd just like to help Zilmar out. I don't NEED 1.7, ver 1.6 with current plugins works very well for me. It's not the best, but hey, if I wanted to play something THAT bad with original N64 quality, i'd order a used copy of the game and get my N64 out of the closet. Simple as that.

See, I think this is why some opensource devs stop working on their projects. It's the people that continue to complain about things like THIS. It's those who bug the dev constantly, and those who don't seem to appreciate the hard work that went into it. I'm sorry, but this topic has hit a nerve for me. I'm not flaming you guys for what you are doing, i'm just trying to get you to UNDERSTAND the reason behind the donations here.
Old 18th March 2010, 04:09 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

People are angry because they are buying 1.7 say what you like but seriously, cut the shit! People have been buying not donating but buying 1.7 for a while now.

there's nothing wrong with the system, actually it's very clever.

Q. Why sell the beta?

A. so that you can get paid and use the money to better the emulator.

Q. Why do you need to be a member?

A. so that all the input you get from testers are from people that have contributed. And not just random who bombard you with annoying questions.

Forcing people to buy the beta makes them think twice about whether or not they should involve themselves in something like this.

Q. Why call it a donation?

A. so you can't get sued

1.7 was supposed to be released yonks ago, and if you want to enjoy TWINE you'll need it.

It's a shame it's not out, all it really needs is just a few more options and tweaks and I say it's ready. Things like

an option that gives you control over the VI and frame limit

multi core support

The ability to assign more resources from the CPU

Last but not least the ability to assign different plugins to work with different games.

That's done, we can worry about Rouge Squadron later.

BTW if you find my little Q&A wrong or offensive please let me know, but I'll only listen if your an admin. That is all

Last edited by magmarock64; 18th March 2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 18th March 2010, 04:11 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Shit! look at that obnoxious wall of text.
Old 18th March 2010, 06:49 PM

Default Donating

I wouldn't mind donating in order to help make the emulator better and be a tester as well. Anyone who thinks that donating means buying the emulator is an idiot for thinking that and second when the developers are good and ready to distribute a stable version they'll do it on their own time.
Old 18th March 2010, 07:28 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephyrTruesdale View Post
I wouldn't mind donating in order to help make the emulator better and be a tester as well. Anyone who thinks that donating means buying the emulator is an idiot for thinking that and second when the developers are good and ready to distribute a stable version they'll do it on their own time.
I don't mind donating either, but there's a word in the dictionary for when you exchange money for goods and services. 1.7 is something you get only after you've transferred money right? and don't you also get further access on the site; that's a service right?

It doesn't matter what motivates you to transfer your money, if your getting something for it. It's a purchase simple as that!
Old 20th March 2010, 12:35 AM

I agree with that people would like to see a version p64 beta for download for free it mens that people that are willing to beta test could get the chance not haveing too pay a fee just too get a chance to access a beta build.
Old 20th March 2010, 12:41 AM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

"..."
That pretty much describes how I feel every time I read one of these threads. I used to be quite an active beta tester from 1.2 til about 2 years ago when threads like these snuffed out what little motivation and time I could muster to test PJ64.

I would very much like to know the reason why people want PJ64 1.7 to be an open beta. If the reason is from a false sense of entitlement, like I suspect, then I see no reason for an open beta to be even considered.

The only good reason I can think of is to increase the amount of testing done but 1.7 honestly isn't close to that point. That might change when 1.7 is closer to a stable release but that's completely up to zilmar.

The donation system will probably always be nitpicked but these are the facts. Not everyone who donates gets beta access and not everyone who is in beta or alpha testing donated.

I, for example, spent grueling hours of my life on PJ64. I started as a forum junkie reporting issues from 1.1-1.2 and became a beta tester for 1.2 onward.

The way I see it, if you're actually going to be a good beta tester you can do it using 1.6. Given enough useful threads and information, i.e. proving you can be an awesome beta tester, beta access may be awarded.

I've tried to remove most of the bitterness and animosity from this post but it's a good bet I still left quite a bit in here. I just get really heated when I see people start demanding things and provide no constructive criticism in return.

P.S. If you think Squall is bad you should have seen the first version of this post about an hour and a half ago
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4770
Sound Card: On-Board Realtek ALC889A
Old 20th March 2010, 02:45 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

wow, you're still using a SB Live! D:

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Old 20th March 2010, 04:28 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonUser View Post
"..."
The donation system will probably always be nitpicked but these are the facts. Not everyone who donates gets beta access and not everyone who is in beta or alpha testing donated.
And that is a serous problem.

Quote:
I, for example, spent grueling hours of my life on PJ64. I started as a forum junkie reporting issues from 1.1-1.2 and became a beta tester for 1.2 onward.

The way I see it, if you're actually going to be a good beta tester you can do it using 1.6. Given enough useful threads and information, i.e. proving you can be an awesome beta tester, beta access may be awarded.
When I got the beta I spent a lot of time testing games on it and when I found one that didn't work/or work the way I wanted it to. It didn't take too long before I found a solution. I don't know if that makes a good tester or not, but I've got a nice RDB file because of it.

Quote:
I've tried to remove most of the bitterness and animosity from this post but it's a good bet I still left quite a bit in here. I just get really heated when I see people start demanding things and provide no constructive criticism in return.
People are getting fed-up because it's taking too long, and can you really blame them. I mean 1.7 seems dead in the water. I mean there hasn't been an news update since 2008, when there doesn't seem to be any point either because nothing moving along.

Quote:
P.S. If you think Squall is bad you should have seen the first version of this post about an hour and a half ago
Squall's not bad, he's just a bit of a troll (but he's my favorite troll :P). He's posts often consist of either telling you what you already knew or something pointless all together-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squall_Leonhart View Post
wow, you're still using a SB Live! D:
^^^ see what I mean. And he's easily provoked by anyone or anything that criticizes PJ64 or any of it's authors. God knows how he'll react when he see's this, but it'll probably be funny