Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 11th March 2015, 04:40 PM
Project Supporter

I understand but still think that's a shame -don't believe for one instant anyone thinks that any credit is going to people who just hack together a plugin using someone else's code!
Old 11th March 2015, 05:39 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

With enough ambition, you'd be surprised at what some people can get away with.

It won't matter. Just trying to adjust a few remaining things and then new release. Though it probably won't be on this forum due to the attachment limit and other reasons.
Old 11th March 2015, 06:17 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallaha56 View Post
I understand but still think that's a shame -don't believe for one instant anyone thinks that any credit is going to people who just hack together a plugin using someone else's code!
If only this was true . These kinds of things do happen.
Old 11th March 2015, 06:34 PM
Project Supporter

Pretty much the first who releases anything at all in some remotely frequently visited place gets hailed as a god without having done any real work. So I somewhat understand Hat's incentive.
Old 11th March 2015, 08:35 PM
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1del View Post
Pretty much the first who releases anything at all in some remotely frequently visited place gets hailed as a god without having done any real work. So I somewhat understand Hat's incentive.
Well a website option would be one way round all of that -maybe some kind of stand-alone site for the RSP/RDP?

It wouldn't need the latest source code (Demul springs to mind) but having a dedicated issue tracker on a dedicated website would simultaneously help fix bugs whilst ensuring credit goes where credit's due

Plus I'm sure many of us would be happy to donate specifically towards what are two of the key components of N64 emulation!
Old 11th March 2015, 10:32 PM
Project Supporter

Doubtful that a website would magically fix things. Dolphin's actually a good example here. The unofficial website over which the team has no control over which contains outdated builds and isn't supported, still has the top google spot in some countries. And it would be additional work, for not really all that much of a purpose. Having it on Github when he feels he has improved it enough to have it there available for all is a much more cost efficient option

And if there is a binary it has to be accompanied by the current source at the time of a binary, so the situation wouldn't at all be different from that aspect.

And he doesn't want any money from it (and in this particular case it might even be against the license)

You may also look at the controversy shunyuan's soft graphic thread caused, as what transpired there is likely to be part of hatcats reason to keep the source under wraps right now (although I can't say it is THE reason, it likely plays some part)

Last edited by V1del; 11th March 2015 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11th March 2015, 10:42 PM
Project Supporter

Quote:
Doubtful that a website would magically fix things. Dolphin's actually a good example here. The unofficial website over which the team has no control over which contains outdated builds and isn't supported, still has the top google spot in some countries. And it would be additional work, for not really all that much of a purpose. Having it on Github when he feels he has improved it enough to have it there available for all is a much more cost efficient option

And if there is a binary it has to be accompanied by the current source at the time of a binary, so the situation wouldn't at all be different from that aspect.

And he doesn't want any money from it (and in this particular case it might even be against the license)
Take your point but have to say love the Dolphin web presence -effectively a detailed blog with a build-bot plus links to an issue tracker and games wiki

It is a little fragmented tho definitely esp the issue tracker!
Old 11th March 2015, 11:37 PM
Project Supporter

Well...

Dolphin web has a bunch of people working together.

Pixel-Accurate N64 Software Video Plugin only has one guy.
Old 11th March 2015, 11:40 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
You may also look at the controversy shunyuan's soft graphic thread caused, as what transpired there is likely to be part of hatcats reason to keep the source under wraps right now (although I can't say it is THE reason, it likely plays some part)
Related-ish, but yeah it's not exactly to do with suanyuan or Shunyuan at this point.
If my angrylion fork being compiled by somebody else to take all the credit for it was all I had to think about, I think I would have put it back on GitHub by now already. So that's not really it. I don't care that much about people taking credit for "my work" since this itself is a fork of angrylion's research. I didn't even care when Shunyuan used my RSP code in his plugins. I cared what he used it for and how he stole everyone else's code which unlike mine was not public domain.

I'm not good at explaining my own feelings or senses, and even if I was, all the logic, illogic and/or credibility in the world wouldn't really convey what I have learned about this external force of dishonesty, lies and evil through my own experiences. So I am better off not attempting to explain it here, as no explanation would really change much of anything, whether or not anyone believed it.

Important thing is that it should be ready for a new update soon. And yeah, making money off of this plugin is a violation of the MAME license. I have never made any money off of programming in my life except some summer job I had when I was 14.

Last edited by HatCat; 11th March 2015 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12th March 2015, 12:20 AM
Project Supporter

Yes I meant the whole way he went about things and not respecting the license and stuff not necessarily what he leeched directly off of you. For someone uninvolved the whole thing provides a good nutshell example of why one would be reluctant give access to stuff as freely as github allows.

I'm sure you have other reasons which don't really need to be elaborated on. It was to point out with a practical example that there WILL be people that abuse the general availability of sourcecode.

Another note on the whole website thing: Dolphin is a complete emulator, making a website just for two parts of one will not attract that much of an audience outside of enthusiasts who are already here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyVGM View Post
Pixel-Accurate N64 Software Video Plugin only has one guy.
There surely are more, he's just the only one frequenting here (ofc angrylion comes to mind first as without him this particular plugin here wouldn't exist and by extension MooglyGuy and other people of the MESS team)

Last edited by V1del; 12th March 2015 at 12:27 AM.