Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 10th March 2015, 08:38 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallaha56 View Post
Please don't take this in an antagonistic way, I can barely code but do like to contribute -myself and the Dolphin devs have worked through a number of problems using the issue tracker on GoogleCode, is it worth having something similar for the plugin? (or even for Project64?)
Project64 is already on github ;/ .
Old 10th March 2015, 09:45 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyVGM View Post
If that's the way you feel, then I can't do anything to change that. But I think that "mid-releases" are good because as you know, no plugin (or program) is perfect.
Not really perfect, but point being in that perfection can be striven for. Each public release of my RSP plugin is how many times I was satisfied with it and found out I was wrong about my limited understanding of approximating its completion. It was a beneficial experience.

Don't worry, still mean to do more of a mid-release in this plugin's case since the source isn't synchronously tracked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1del View Post
There's also pre-specchange mupen64plus (1.5 and earlier) code for that is in the mupen64plus-oldsvn repo

Nah I didn't have any luck with mesa, but I didn't really pursue it all that deeply, may give that a go again sometime. Somewhat busy preparing for finals tho
Okay. I will see about cross-testing 64-bit plugins on that version of m64p then with whatever gets implemented for 64-bit on other emulators like Project64. Guess I should be able to use that somewhat.

Quote:
Please don't take this in an antagonistic way, I can barely code but do like to contribute -myself and the Dolphin devs have worked through a number of problems using the issue tracker on GoogleCode, is it worth having something similar for the plugin? (or even for Project64?)
It used to be on GitHub, my sources to this plugin.
It was taken off of there.

Some people want me to put it back on GitHub along with the RSP I have there, but I would sooner just do a mid-release of this plugin now. I am very unhappy with the amount of dishonesty, selfish behavior and betrayal that had been introduced in n64 the past few years.

Last edited by HatCat; 10th March 2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10th March 2015, 11:31 PM
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatCat View Post
Some people want me to put it back on GitHub along with the RSP I have there, but I would sooner just do a mid-release of this plugin now. I am very unhappy with the amount of dishonesty, selfish behavior and betrayal that had been introduced in n64 the past few years.
If you put it there, be prepared to receive a lot of requests that you might not want or can't implement.

It would be good to have it there for bug-smashing purposes, maybe even having a dedicated project website too? You don't even have to update it, just an official page where you can link to this thread and the potential github page or maybe a code.google tracker page too.
Old 10th March 2015, 11:56 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

That's just it.

If I put this back on GitHub, I am helping accelerate the dishonest behavior and cheating attitude which I mentioned (maybe some people think I'm hinting at mudlord or whatever else happened back then but I promise that's nothing to do with it at this point). Rather than contribute to this evil, I would rather release source on the interval that I release binary, which I am more than happy with.

I don't mind having the RSP (and practically everything else) on GitHub. Hell, I don't even worry that much if someone makes money off of it (as long as I'm not the one getting paid for it, I am happy enough...). But I am very mad about the RDP right now. I hope sometime in the distant future I can put up a Git for it, really I do, but I'm not at all pressed to do it now.
Old 11th March 2015, 04:40 PM
Project Supporter

I understand but still think that's a shame -don't believe for one instant anyone thinks that any credit is going to people who just hack together a plugin using someone else's code!
Old 11th March 2015, 05:39 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

With enough ambition, you'd be surprised at what some people can get away with.

It won't matter. Just trying to adjust a few remaining things and then new release. Though it probably won't be on this forum due to the attachment limit and other reasons.
Old 11th March 2015, 06:17 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
I understand but still think that's a shame -don't believe for one instant anyone thinks that any credit is going to people who just hack together a plugin using someone else's code!
If only this was true . These kinds of things do happen.
Old 11th March 2015, 06:34 PM
Project Supporter

Pretty much the first who releases anything at all in some remotely frequently visited place gets hailed as a god without having done any real work. So I somewhat understand Hat's incentive.
Old 11th March 2015, 08:35 PM
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1del View Post
Pretty much the first who releases anything at all in some remotely frequently visited place gets hailed as a god without having done any real work. So I somewhat understand Hat's incentive.
Well a website option would be one way round all of that -maybe some kind of stand-alone site for the RSP/RDP?

It wouldn't need the latest source code (Demul springs to mind) but having a dedicated issue tracker on a dedicated website would simultaneously help fix bugs whilst ensuring credit goes where credit's due

Plus I'm sure many of us would be happy to donate specifically towards what are two of the key components of N64 emulation!
Old 11th March 2015, 10:32 PM
Project Supporter

Doubtful that a website would magically fix things. Dolphin's actually a good example here. The unofficial website over which the team has no control over which contains outdated builds and isn't supported, still has the top google spot in some countries. And it would be additional work, for not really all that much of a purpose. Having it on Github when he feels he has improved it enough to have it there available for all is a much more cost efficient option

And if there is a binary it has to be accompanied by the current source at the time of a binary, so the situation wouldn't at all be different from that aspect.

And he doesn't want any money from it (and in this particular case it might even be against the license)

You may also look at the controversy shunyuan's soft graphic thread caused, as what transpired there is likely to be part of hatcats reason to keep the source under wraps right now (although I can't say it is THE reason, it likely plays some part)

Last edited by V1del; 11th March 2015 at 11:08 PM.