Old 27th May 2015, 07:48 PM

Default Directories, mempaks, and nrage

I've run into a very strange error after upgrading from 1.6 to 2.2.03 with mempaks, and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this one.

Originally (though why I'm no longer sure) I had default saves in one directory and mempaks in a different one.

When I upgraded, I went to see if the old Blast Corps bugs were still there, but it didn't locate the mempak. Not a huge deal, I hadn't aimed nrage at the mempak directory yet. What got strange was that when I finally did get around to aiming nrage at the mempak directory, the game -still- didn't find the mempak even though the nrage config page quite clearly found it and was able to tell me what was in it.

What I discovered that Project64 was doing is that instead of looking in the mempak directory nrage was aiming, it was creating an entirely new mempak just for Blast Corps (Blast Corps_Cont_1.mpk) inside the SAVES directory!

So, not only is it not looking in the directory nrage is aimed at for loading mempaks, it's not even using the same names. Are nrage's settings not being utilized with mempaks anymore?

It didn't look like anyone else had found this bug so far, but does anyone have any suggestions for getting out of it?
Old 27th May 2015, 07:59 PM

If you're using the AQZ netplay plugin it intercepts calls to mempaks, in order to allow only one controller at a time to have a mempak connected, or multiple controllers to use different mempaks.

To restore your save files, you can simply replace the generated "Blast Corps_Cont_1.mpk" file with your prior one. You'll probably have to do this for every game you were using that mempak for, though.
Old 28th May 2015, 02:19 AM

Never heard of the AQZ netplay plugin, and given that there's no selectable netplay plugin option inside project64 I'm assuming it's an outside program?

The copy-and-rename trick worked, though I'm still a little confused as to why it was needed in the first place... actually, no, scratch that last part. I can understand why PJ64 might default to mempak operation for all games, since I'm actually hard-pressed to come up with an example of a game where you wouldn't want the mempak to be used if you could use it at all. I am, however, still confused as to why nrage's settings got overridden like that.
Old 28th May 2015, 04:45 PM
Project Supporter

Are you using nrage as it came in 1.6 (Nrage 1.8 iirc) or as it comes in 2.2 (Nrage for PJ64)? if so the reason is quite simple, the nrage plugin has been integrated as the main input plugin since going open source and has had its configuration adjusted so that it uses the same configuration options (naming conventions and directories) as the rest of PJ64. That's why you will see these kinds of changes, because it is utilising the same information that PJ64 core provides·
Old 28th May 2015, 06:42 PM

Huh, I didn't realize that. I've been using the NRage v2.3c plugin, not the NRage for PJ64 plugin. Pointing to a specific mempak will still work with v2.3c.
Old 28th May 2015, 08:15 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_025 View Post
Huh, I didn't realize that. I've been using the NRage v2.3c plugin, not the NRage for PJ64 plugin. Pointing to a specific mempak will still work with v2.3c.
Still works with NRage for PJ64.

Just change the directory under AppPath from Mempaks to Save.