Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 26th May 2016, 11:46 PM

Default GlideN64 is making Project64 crash

It all began last week. I went to emucr and downloaded the latest project64 git and latest GLideN64 Git. I opened the project64 git file and extracted the files to my Project64 directory. I did the same with the GLideN64 Git file. I opened it and extracted the files to the GFX folder. When I double clicked project 64 it gace me an error of "Exception caught (File: ".\main.cpp" Line: XXX)". Uninstalling project64 seemed to work until I put the GLideN64 files in the GFX folder which caused project64 to throw me the "Exception caught (File: ".\main.cpp" Line: XXX)" error again. Removing GlideN64 files from project 64 makes project64 work with no errors. However, when I put GlideN64 back in the GFX folder project64 seemed to work, until I click on settings which causes project 64 to close itself for no reason. It doesn't give me an error. Again, removing GlideN64 makes project64 run fine without errors. I put GLideN64, again, in the GFX folder and Project 64 seems to run fine. This time when I click on 'settings' I get "Project 64 has stopped working".

For some reason the 2015 release of GLideN64 works just fine and doesn't make project 64 crash when I click on settings.

Does anyone know why the new GlideN64 git files from emucr makes project 64 crash when I click on settings?

Also, why does the old 2015 release of GlideN64 not make project 64 crash when I click on setings?
Old 28th May 2016, 10:36 AM
Project Supporter

HatCat probably inserted some code to break it -he doesn't like anyone anyone upstaging his coding with superior plugins or even just having fun with emulators...
Old 28th May 2016, 09:21 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokephile View Post
Also, why does the old 2015 release of GlideN64 not make project 64 crash when I click on setings?
Probably because the new 2016 release had some insertions by fallaha56 to break it: He doesn't like plugin-based emulators upstaging Dolphin's communism.
Old 28th May 2016, 10:58 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallaha56 View Post
HatCat probably inserted some code to break it -he doesn't like anyone anyone upstaging his coding with superior plugins or even just having fun with emulators...
Where is this coming from?

I always thought hat had terets, but this sounds crazy..
Old 29th May 2016, 12:13 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
HatCat probably inserted some code to break it
That was completely uncalled for. This sort of behavior is hurting the scene.

Quote:
-he doesn't like anyone anyone upstaging his coding with superior plugins or even just having fun with emulators...
I don't even know what you are talking about. HatCat has given some amazing contributions to the N64 emulation scene. I think he has no reason to feel insecure about his own work, in comparison to others. Just because you think someone else's work is "inferior" doesn't mean everyone else also agrees. I for one don't think GLideN64 is "superior".

How about having some respect, for fellow developers?
Old 1st June 2016, 06:44 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
That was completely uncalled for. This sort of behavior is hurting the scene.

I don't even know what you are talking about. HatCat has given some amazing contributions to the N64 emulation scene. I think he has no reason to feel insecure about his own work, in comparison to others. Just because you think someone else's work is "inferior" doesn't mean everyone else also agrees. I for one don't think GLideN64 is "superior".

How about having some respect, for fellow developers?
Hey, at least GlideN64 is better than that garbage that is Rice Video, you know, that game that breaks HUDs and Konami games?
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM 10600
HDD: 2 x Western Digital 1 TB HDDs
Monitor: 23" Asus Full HD LED

Oh, and Snes9x > Zsnes in every way
Old 1st June 2016, 07:37 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_randomizer View Post
Hey, at least GlideN64 is better than that garbage that is Rice Video, you know, that game that breaks HUDs and Konami games?
If Rice is garbage, why does it work better for SD Hiryuu? Why does Rice work on my computer and not GLideN64?

Have some respect...
Old 3rd June 2016, 03:32 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
If Rice is garbage, why does it work better for SD Hiryuu? Why does Rice work on my computer and not GLideN64?

Have some respect...
Try Konami games, their HUDs are effed up and they screw up the music, i.e cause missing audio channels for games like Mystical Ninja and Hyrbid Heaven. I'd be more than willing to show a video comparing the two.

Nice going, plugin.

Also it doesn't emulate the pixel alpha dithering effects many first and third party games used (pixel dissolve effect) properly, at all. DK64 zipper effect isn't emulated on Rice, Ogre Battle 64 has jacked up JPEG backgrounds, some games have messed up z-buffer depth, the list goes on.

Oh and the OOT subscreen doesn't render without having to tweak the settings, like this:

I think people just bash Gonetz and his work because the system requirements are either too high, or they think he's a shitty programmer, or shady, various reasons why. I don't like it because it's outdated, just like Zsnes, and people still defend Zsnes sadly enough. GlideN64 is more accurate, and therefore has a higher system requirement than other plugins, that's hardly the dev's fault.

Last edited by the_randomizer; 3rd June 2016 at 03:34 PM.
Old 3rd June 2016, 05:03 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Red face

Quote:
Try Konami games, their HUDs are effed up and they screw up the music, i.e cause missing audio channels for games like Mystical Ninja and Hyrbid Heaven. I'd be more than willing to show a video comparing the two.

Nice going, plugin.
Idk about this HUD problem you speak of, but the music problem does not exist on current builds of Project64. Looks like you are using an outdated setup .

Quote:
Also it doesn't emulate the pixel alpha dithering effects many first and third party games used (pixel dissolve effect) properly, at all. DK64 zipper effect isn't emulated on Rice, Ogre Battle 64 has jacked up JPEG backgrounds, some games have messed up z-buffer depth, the list goes on.
GLideN64 isn't perfect either. In some games, even Glide64 is better lol..
Quote:
Oh and the OOT subscreen doesn't render without having to tweak the settings, like this:
I'm pretty sure the subscreen's flawed on all hardware plugins anyway.
Quote:
I think people just bash Gonetz and his work because the system requirements are either too high, or they think he's a shitty programmer, or shady, various reasons why. I don't like it because it's outdated, just like Zsnes, and people still defend Zsnes sadly enough.
Rice may be "outdated", but that doesn't make it necessarily bad or useless. GLideN64 is not 100% superior to it, so you shouldn't completely bash it.

Quote:
GlideN64 is more accurate, and therefore has a higher system requirement than other plugins, that's hardly the dev's fault.
This is so wrong that it's not even funny. Having higher accuracy does not always mean higher system requirements. Rice is much more optimized than GLideN64. I'm sick and tired of people making excuses for things they know absolutely nothing about.

Here's GLideN64, in HLE

Now here's my fork of Angrylion's

There's absolutely no excuse for these results.
Old 22nd June 2016, 05:24 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Zelda OOT subscreen, no cheats or hacks, using GlideN64 default settings, so maybe I was wrong about certain things, I don't know. But Rice video used to break audio, I guess that's been fixed. That being said, I've been out of the loop when it comes to N64 emulation, and that's probably for the best. I never really was part of the community, clearly, I don't deserve to even be a part of it.

I've overstepped my bounds and brought this on myself.