Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v2.x - Issues

Old 14th May 2017, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank74 View Post
I made the change but cannot test, as I don't have any XInput controllers to test with.

Here's a build with the code from post #22 to test.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mgbyng51my...NRage.dll?dl=1

I don't notice any difference in time taken to init.
Thanks for the build! This brought the init time down from 23 seconds to 6 seconds (timed them both). Still not perfect, but definitely way better! So it looks like we are only enumerating the HID devices 1/3 or 1/4 the number of times now on my device.

The rest may be a buggy device driver specific to my device. I'll have to play around with my HID devices. I don't think there's much more we can do with the code.
Old 14th May 2017, 01:42 AM

My post went to moderation again... not really sure why that keeps happening.

Thanks for the build Frank74. I went from 23 seconds to init to 6 seconds on my device. I think it's enumerating 1/3 to 1/4 of the time now.

The rest of the delay is probably a buggy HID driver on my device. I might try playing with that some time, but with only a 6 second wait I probably don't care enough. There's not much else we can do with the code (unless there are multiple controllers hooked up... any device that has a delay will have a linear increase in delay per controller without a more complicated code fix).
Old 14th May 2017, 05:25 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboy181 View Post
not sure how to do that tbh..
Open the Task Manager via right clicking for the context menu on the clock in taskbar and then after making all processes visible,click on the top part with the CPU usage text on it so the list updates on every instance of changed CPU usage for any and every given program using your CPU cores.
If the WMI Provider Host or other particular processes flare up during the delayed open moment,then that is likely the problem process causing the issue to still occur.
Old 15th May 2017, 12:41 PM

OK, I've created a pull request for this:
https://github.com/project64/project64/pull/1312

I made an additional change. I noticed that there was also a few seconds being spent process devices of type DI8DEVTYPE_DEVICE. These aren't keyboards or mice... they are just generic devices. I added an immediate return when we run across one of these devices.

@Squall, when I tried DI8DEVCLASS_GAMECTRL, I never hit the IsXInputDevice call for my XInput device. I only hit it when I had DI8DEVTYPE_GAMEPAD, as that's what my gamepad was returning. Were you hitting the call?
Old 15th May 2017, 03:32 PM

I submitted a pull request for this:

I also made an additional minor change. Many of the enumerated devices were of the type DI8DEVTYPE_DEVICE. These aren't anything important for gaming, so now the enumerate skips them rather than processing them. This saves a couple more seconds on my device.

@Squall, you'll probably want to move this change to the nrage repo. Also, when I tried putting DI8DEVCLASS_GAMECTRL in the switch statement, I never hit that case, so IsXInputDevice was not called. Did you hit it in yours? My Xbox 360 controller was returning DI8DEVTYPE_GAMEPAD.
Old 15th May 2017, 03:32 PM

I submitted a pull request for this on the project 64 github:

I also made an additional minor change. Many of the enumerated devices were of the type DI8DEVTYPE_DEVICE. These aren't anything important for gaming, so now the enumerate skips them rather than processing them. This saves a couple more seconds on my device.

@Squall, you'll probably want to move this change to the nrage repo. Also, when I tried putting DI8DEVCLASS_GAMECTRL in the switch statement, I never hit that case, so IsXInputDevice was not called. Did you hit it in yours? My Xbox 360 controller was returning DI8DEVTYPE_GAMEPAD.
Old 15th May 2017, 03:34 PM

(Weird, whenever I put a link in, my post goes to moderation)

I submitted a pull request for this on the project 64 github.