Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v2.x - Issues

Old 5th December 2013, 01:59 AM

Lightbulb Windows 7 win32k.sys blue screen solution

Hey there, I noticed all of the people trying to find a fix for the blue screen error with win32k.sys attached in the details. I have found that running an Aero theme in windows 7 will trigger this, where as running in "basic" mode does not.

Having found this out, for the current version I highly recommend checking the compatibility box marked "Disable desktop composition", with a possible suggestion to the dev team to have the program do this by default if a fix cannot be found.
Old 8th December 2013, 08:28 PM

Thumbs up Thank You!

This thread needs to stay where people can see it. I searched this site for the same issue only to find an answer (not!) This was the best I got from the faq section under general,
http://www.pj64-emu.com/faqs/general...AnswerList_380. Basically all it says it that "you" more than likely have a hardware or software/OS issue and that it cant be PJ64 because PJ64 has no known issues. I put my pc through hell running prime95, only to find out what I already knew, that my pc is a beast, and every part runs like a dream. I really think the thread I linked to above should be changed to encourage users to send error/crash reports if they are having issues with PJ64 and NOT automatically make it the fault of the user. This will help progress much more! Kudos to the OP! Now people like us can enjoy PJ64 2.x.x.x. Was using old version 1.6 (still works great).
Old 9th December 2013, 09:36 AM
Project Supporter

The answer is in this forum so obv you haven't searched enough, and its a bug in windows, which can apparently be fixed by what has been said above or alternatively update your windows via windows update, a single program shouldn't bluescreen a modern Windows anymore, unless its something in the underlying layer, as is the case here. So it's neither the fault of PJ64 nor the user (besides that the FAQ you linked to is very old, and the behaviour described there could've very well have been true for the hardware in use at the time)
Old 11th December 2013, 07:54 PM

I'm sorry if you don't like my troubleshooting skills, but the solution I came up with works. I posted it because many who have had this problem have not tried this approach.
Old 12th December 2013, 08:40 AM
Project Supporter

@Elanchan
I was referring to modhatter's blabbering about PJ64 apparently implied no known issues, it was never said it had no issues, simply that it shouldn't crash a machine, as in bluescreen, which is more true today than at the time the faq was written, the emulator itself may crash sometimes, can it, by itself, take your whole (win7) machine with it? no. Its cool that you found that workaround nothing against such an alternative, especially if you're annoyed by windows update, which is totally understandable, given how long it has to install stuff and forcing a reboot every time
Old 15th December 2014, 09:27 AM

If for 1964 video plugin you mean Rice plugin, yes i have tried.
Also have tried all emulators i could find on the web (Older PJ64 versions, Mupen64, 1964, ect) they pretty much all the same, PJ64 2.x is the faster for me.
Old 19th February 2016, 01:35 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

keep your OS up to date, or don't even bother posting.

KB2808735 or later hotfixes including win32k.sys will fix it.

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Old 21st February 2016, 07:35 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Or you use recent Project64 2.2+ builds where I fixed the problem.

Though I don't get why you bothered digging this topic up.
Old 6th May 2020, 01:56 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I don't believe win7 cases had anything to do with the bsod on win10, and you didn't fix anything really just worked around a flaw in the OS.

This thread was specific to win32k.sys in an unpatched Windows 7 install without SP1 or subsequent updates. which had a bsod behavior when GDI coordinates went offscreen,

re:Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k!xxxSendMenuDrawItemMessage+db )

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1

Last edited by squall_leonhart; 6th May 2020 at 02:19 PM.