Old 1st July 2011, 03:24 PM

CPU is pretty low. What's your gpu? My 1ghz P2 pc can run pj64 but not brilliantly. Need to lower the resolution. My p4 3ghz ati 9700 has no issues. Your system is not sufficiently powerful enough.
Old 2nd July 2011, 09:57 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

It also depends what you mean about it not running well or "low performance". By default though it's easy to presume you're meaning slow speed of emulation, drawing, etc., but yes you should try the gfx settings and the tests that Jabo mentioned in his post.
Old 11th July 2011, 05:13 PM

Same prob here with the lastest atom chip. Try this:
For a number of years now I've had the original EEEPC701 - so thats a GMA900 chipset with 900 MHz Intel Celeron M ULV 353 @ 630 MHz/900 Mhz o/c-ed - all at 800x480 on XP 32bit

This ran most everything fine (without o/c-ing to boot)- my example is no noticable slowdown for Cruisin USA (an oddly demanding game) or Wipeout

Now I've upgraded to a much more recent and faster model - EEEPC 1015px - an Atom N570 - 1.66Ghz Dual Core (hyperthreading) with Intel GMA3150 all on 1024x600 on Win 7 64-bit

Now every single other emulator (and I have...'a few') shows a large increase in performance on this new beast even at the new res - obvioulsy those emu's that make use of the extra features show a massive increase. Nothing whatsover shows worse performance at the new res...except:

But poor old PJ64 (only have 1.6 - using a recent RDP) now can't play many games without massive slowdown. This has shocked me to the core! Luckily super mario seems ok, but a fair few games have fallen...its so sad...so cruisin usa there is down to 30-40 fps sometimes, stuttering like hell, and going out of fullscreen down to 640x480 makes no difference whatsoever. CPU shows 25% usage throughout. I cannot make this go up by doing anything eg: upping priority of pj64 process etc....

Obvioulsy its a bit hard to be scientific here as much has changed. But the settings of Pj64 remain identical to the old OS and PC except going to the native LCD res

Care to guess what's most likely to be up here?
*Yup pentium class should be one but doesn't make a difference elsewhere, *yup 64-bit should be one but doesn't make a difference elsewhere
*same win win7
*same with resolution
*same with multithreading

I'll try the audio suggestion...anything else?

Last edited by butter100fly; 11th July 2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11th July 2011, 05:16 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

change the affinity and set windows to performance.

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Old 11th July 2011, 06:12 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Yeah that kind of thing should be optimizable. If you notice performance going up elsewhere with similar application or device but down for Project64 after an upgrade I should think it's a matter of configuration like the method squall mentioned.
Old 12th July 2011, 06:59 AM

thanks guys - but what to configure? Everything I try isnt working. (sorry to threadjack btw but atm this seems like a very related problem I just have the extra information that another low-clock netbook cpu was fine before atom and win7 64)

so eg:
*If I set affinity to anything but all four cores I get a hit in pj64 performance
*If I set windows visual appearances all off I get no improvement in performance in pj64

Actually the latter there is a running theme - if I do things in the OS that should give me a small speed increase I get no increase

I also thought that since my AV likes to think pj64 is suspect sometimtes I could also disable it and turn off date execution prevention in windows for pj64 - no change (and obvioulsy I've fiddled with all the administrator and compatibility options). Any other win7 64-bit optimisations i'm missing? But if my other emu's (random example epsxe 1.70 on wipeout which I can now turn all gfx settings up to high as they'll go - prev were on 'fast') are all fine, why would pj64 be different....

I will try other audio plugins today - but since the previous underpowered cpu was fine with the default...I tried zilmar, no change

cpu sticks at 25% whatever I do and framerates stay the same....this really gets to me as this is pretty much my fav emu (in fact many many games are affected) so appreciate the ideas people

Last edited by butter100fly; 12th July 2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12th July 2011, 07:09 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

zilmar's audio is LLE I think, so it wouldn't be faster than Azimer's.

In which plugin for more speed you can disable "Emulate/Simulate AI" in the plugin config. Damn I wish that wasn't on by default or at least remembered settings.
Old 12th July 2011, 07:50 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

DO NOT ENABLE THE DEP EXCEPTION LIST MODE.

changing it from the default setting, which equates to an opt-in method (apps have to request dep) to the exclusion mode is basically an opt-out method. all apps are protected by dep and this can cause problems for many of them.

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Old 13th July 2011, 07:55 PM

Fair enough thanks (I do of course revert anything I test that proves not to be relevant as otherwise I'd be introducing other variables)

So I have not only tested alternative plugins, but I have also tested NO SOUND and....guess what: the framerate stays exactly the same - so for instance in my example of Cruisin' USA things are fine until the car gets off the podium, then we go down to 30-40 fps and choppy audio. When other cars zoom out of view it varies from 30-45 fps with choppy audio and things just stay like that. Previously with the old celeron I had a fraction of a second slowdown on the podium then no other problems. Countless games are the same

Please give me some other suggestions here - I'm struggling. I have simply copied the roms and pj64 folder from the old netbook to new, put the resolution up (but as I said I can put the resolution anywhere and all stays the same) and run the games. I haven't looked for reg keys but since pj64 is a non install and is plugin based with the settings set in the gui and not a .cfg I don't think I'll find anything of value there. No other setting I can find changes the framerate upwards at all (pj64 doesn't seem to have a frameskippping option to even allow me to play with skipping video instead of audio?)

Naturally the next thing to do is to try installing pj64 from scratch. I don't think my bios lets me turn hyperthreading off so I can't test that. I may even go back to 32bit to see how that affects the emus, but at this point that would be a disaster.

Let me cite another random emu example: it used to be that WinUAE couldn't run SOTB3 properly on the celeron - v.choppy audio when enabling the autozoom function. now it just sails away happily.........

and bear in mind now I'm on a hyperthreaded multicore I appear to be able to run the DS versions of things faster than the N64! That ain't right!

Last edited by butter100fly; 13th July 2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 13th July 2011, 10:26 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Resolution and core settings would also have quite an impact, regardless of your system's performance with other applications. Some settings might have been changed per individual game.

What if you just like, tested 1964 0.9.9 or some other emulator with the games that are slow on Project64? It's probably just the settings.