Old 14th July 2011, 01:01 PM

thanks sure I will indeed eventually try alternative emulators - what a pity tho

Its pretty much EVERY game I've tried bar SM64 and the obvioulsy low-resource ones. And the games are def still defaulting to the RDB settings, and these are def the same settings as on the celeron and as downloaded (I've never changed any of them)

I'm honestly beginning to wonder if PJ64's code doesn't like the atom architecture - and no-ones noticed this because they've always assumed the atoms weren't up to n64 emulation in the first place. I guess that's the point I'm trying to throw up here bar some other suggestions to get back to speed considering the situation? But i'm possibly jumping the gun because I do need to spend some more time on it....
Old 15th July 2011, 12:54 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Well it sounds possible I guess. Not really a hardware enthusiast at all. Could also be it just doesn't like the larger compile buffer setting that some games need to use.
Old 18th July 2011, 07:03 PM

ok remaking everything has no effect at all, changing all settings per-game has no convincing pattern at all...

im using Unofficial-RDB-v4.21-by-Nekokabu-amp-MASA

It's mostly driving games

seems to be worse in driving games that have layers on top of the 3d - so RR64 is a case in point - it works fine at full speed with the highest setting, exept when on the starting grid with the helicopter and starting lights where it slows down to a crawl. cruisn' USA has the same problem, but also doesn't like other cars being on the road either (or scenery for that matter)

SFRush 2049 i imagine is quite hard to run anyway, but its the slowest game i can find and also co-incidentally has about 10 layers of HUD on top of the video. Turning them off in the pause menu makes no difference. (Compile buffer is off in my settings for sfrush 2049, but turning it on makes no difference)

That' s why I think driving games are suffering more - because they generally have more HUD than other 3d games? Flying games are similar (aero fighters assault is anyway)

When there isn't a problem things follow the same track as other emu's - I can now enable more effects at higher res and everything's a lot faster. How irritating.

so is 'certain functions of my cpu/gpu are underpowered whilst others aren't' a satisfactory explanation here? My suspicion is that a combination of dual-core hyperthreaded atom plus 64bit translation is what's up here - without one or the other this wouldn't be so noticable....certainly the gpu isn't involved and i don't suspect win7

Last edited by butter100fly; 18th July 2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 18th July 2011, 09:32 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Well if that's the conjecture that you notice then that would mean as to more HUD layer graphics being rendered upon the screen, which does correlate to your GPU. By GPU either something about your hardware the plugin doesn't like or another way of looking at that reversed, which is why I thought about maybe changing the emulator.
Old 26th July 2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
By GPU either something about your hardware the plugin doesn't like or another way of looking at that reversed, which is why I thought about maybe changing the emulator.
ah yes thanks you've got a good point there....
now the new mobile intel chip is a dx11 chip, whereas the old is dx9.0c - I wonder if that can have any bearing in addition to the physical differences

i can try downgrading the intel driver to an earlier version, see what changes that brings (from the look of other intel drivers I 'think' its fairly safe to rely on their own uninstallers to actually downgrade and upgrade GFX driver without further intervention?)

luckily the problem isn't as bad as first suspected ie: not so many games are affected, but when it does manifest it can get SERIOUSLY slow!

Still to do is try another emulator to see what happens there....
Old 26th July 2011, 12:17 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
now the new mobile intel chip is a dx11 chip
no it isn't.

Ivy Bridge is Dx11
Sandybridge is Dx10

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Old 27th July 2011, 02:58 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I don't know if Intel provides downgrades, but any info on that as well as the installations themselves are on the official Intel.com website.

1964 0.9.9 (not version 1.1) uses a very old graphics plugin that's compatible with graphics cards from quite a while ago. If you install that it might give you better luck.
Old 28th July 2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall_leonhart View Post
no it isn't.
Ivy Bridge is Dx11
Sandybridge is Dx10
hmmm....
Intel_GMA on wiki sure agrees with you. dxdiag on my pc doesn't tho:

why does dxdiag report this support?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dxdiag_3150.jpg (20.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 28th July 2011, 12:38 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

it means you have directx11 installed; does not mean the hardware is capable of using the dx11 extensions
Old 28th July 2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsx! View Post
it means you have directx11 installed; does not mean the hardware is capable of using the dx11 extensions
ah ok...thanks

will check back with results from other n64 emu's