Old 14th May 2014, 07:24 AM
Project Supporter

He based it of 1964 audio iirc correctly and makes heavy use of internal hatcat rsp to actually feed him the Audio List (which leads to executing the rsp twice for no reason)

He's basically not doing any real emulation and it's an XAudio interface to hatcats rsp.
Old 14th May 2014, 07:29 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1del View Post
He based it of 1964 audio iirc correctly and makes heavy use of internal hatcat rsp to actually feed him the Audio List (which leads to executing the rsp twice for no reason)

He's basically not doing any real emulation and it's an XAudio interface to hatcats rsp.
Heh, shows what I know. But again, I lament that we'll never see an updated audio plugin that solves the issue of slow framerate when sync to audio is enabled, nor will we ever see Konami games without intermittent crackling/skipping audio. Then the whole Factor 5/MusyX audio codec. Sure, I sound negative, but I'm trying to be realistic, I think. Then we have software graphics plugins, but the performance on those is set in stone, they'll never be full speed and still look accurate or at least close to a real console. N64 plugins are at a standstill, we'll never see new plugins, at least for audio.
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM 10600
HDD: 2 x Western Digital 1 TB HDDs
Monitor: 23" Asus Full HD LED

Oh, and Snes9x > Zsnes in every way

Last edited by the_randomizer; 14th May 2014 at 07:31 AM.
Old 14th May 2014, 07:31 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
Ya, I really did like Nemu's sound plugin. It's amazing how some of the great emulators / plugins are very old.

And here we have some noob thinking that his own audio plugin is the best LOL. What plugin did he base his work off of?

One thing about azimer's 0.56 is that when I was watching the ssb64 intro, the sound wasn't in sync during part of it. I had Dynamic Audio Sync and Emulate/Simulate Al both on.
Yep, most of the plugins that solve problems like this are just buried under the ones that get simple talk today it seems.

Also I'm not an AI expert at all by any means, but I supposed the sync game to audio issue was partly controlled by the way the cores have the AI thread set up. In the unofficial #1.2 audio spec unique to PJ64 1.7+ there was no audio sync issue with some of the MusyX games that stalled when ticking that option.

Oh, and what V1del said was also accurate. Interestingly similar to pokefan, suanyuan is in violation of the 1964 GPL and the MAME license with these plugins. The reason the plugin sounds better than most DirectSound ones is the fact that he uses XAudio; the rest of the code is hardly his.
Old 14th May 2014, 07:33 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatCat View Post
Yep, most of the plugins that solve problems like this are just buried under the ones that get simple talk today it seems.

Also I'm not an AI expert at all by any means, but I supposed the sync game to audio issue was partly controlled by the way the cores have the AI thread set up. In the unofficial #1.2 audio spec unique to PJ64 1.7+ there was no audio sync issue with some of the MusyX games that stalled when ticking that option.

Oh, and what V1del said was also accurate. Interestingly similar to pokefan, suanyuan is in violation of the 1964 GPL and the MAME license with these plugins. The reason the plugin sounds better than most DirectSound ones is the fact that he uses XAudio; the rest of the code is hardly his.
XAudio might be the reason I don't notice the crackling, DirectSound on Windows Vista/7 isn't all that great, but again, I don't have hopes in ever seeing a legit audio plugin made from scratch, with the XAudio API.

Old 14th May 2014, 08:21 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_randomizer View Post
Some games, like Clay Fighter 63 1/3, Ridge Racer 64, etc go to hell when sync game to audio is enabled, and go from 60 VI/s to 45 VI/s but have normal sound, why the framerate goes apeshit, I don't know. I've yet to find a plugin for audio that has good sync and doesn't kill the VI/s.
I don't think there's anything you can do about that. I noticed when i played quest64 with sync game to audio, it sounded more like it did on the real n64. If you play the game at 60fps, the sound will be faster. So you can either play at a reduced fps, or bear with the faster and buggier sound. I'm guessing sync audio makes it so that you play at the game's original fps.

I find it sad what Pokefan and Shunyuan are doing. What is the point of releasing it as closed source when you freeloaded off of other people's work? See I'd understand close sourcing it, if it was purely your own work... Considering hardly anyone actually sells n64 emulators / plugins, I don't see the big deal in releasing source code either. Really that would be my main reason for not releasing source code. I hate the idea of other people stealing work and getting paid for it. Reason number 2 would be for people like Shunyuan and Pokefan. I hate when losers steal work and close source their stuff (like Project M did). Even for scenario #2, I'd probably just give out source only to trustworthy individuals.
Old 14th May 2014, 02:44 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_randomizer View Post
Then the whole Factor 5/MusyX audio codec. Sure, I sound negative, but I'm trying to be realistic, I think. Then we have software graphics plugins, but the performance on those is set in stone, they'll never be full speed and still look accurate or at least close to a real console. N64 plugins are at a standstill, we'll never see new plugins, at least for audio.
Mupen64plus has made advances in MusyX. The MusyX uCode was reverse engineered and reimplemented in the RSP-HLE plugin. MusyX is perfect in that emulator. All other previous implementations of the MusyX uses the Gauntlet Legends uCode only, its a hack/dump from that game, it was never reverse engineered before.

h##p://forum.pj64-emu.com/showpost.php?p=53705&postcount=5
Old 14th May 2014, 07:00 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
I don't think there's anything you can do about that. I noticed when i played quest64 with sync game to audio, it sounded more like it did on the real n64. If you play the game at 60fps, the sound will be faster. So you can either play at a reduced fps, or bear with the faster and buggier sound. I'm guessing sync audio makes it so that you play at the game's original fps.

I find it sad what Pokefan and Shunyuan are doing. What is the point of releasing it as closed source when you freeloaded off of other people's work? See I'd understand close sourcing it, if it was purely your own work... Considering hardly anyone actually sells n64 emulators / plugins, I don't see the big deal in releasing source code either. Really that would be my main reason for not releasing source code. I hate the idea of other people stealing work and getting paid for it. Reason number 2 would be for people like Shunyuan and Pokefan. I hate when losers steal work and close source their stuff (like Project M did). Even for scenario #2, I'd probably just give out source only to trustworthy individuals.
Clay Fighter 63 1/3 ran at 60 fps on the real console IIRC, but PJ64 does not, and only runs at 75% its original speed with sound sync, which is weird to me. Again, I don't see there ever being the be-all-end-all sound plugin, if ever. N64 as a whole is well, pretty stagnant, with exceptions of course. What he did was pretty stupid though.

Old 14th May 2014, 07:10 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Oh lol, I haven't played that game in ages xD. When i played Quest64 on sync audio, the fps was usually around 52. I just figured that was the natural fps of the game since the audio had the same tempo as it did on the real n64, while 60 fps made the music faster. You may be right though, since SSB64 goes past 60fps with sync audio. Still I don't get why Quest64 sounds like it's at normal speed even though it's under 60fps.

Maybe later this week, I will test Clayfighter to see what it's like.
Old 18th May 2014, 05:43 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Oh lol, I haven't played that game in ages xD. When i played Quest64 on sync audio, the fps was usually around 52. I just figured that was the natural fps of the game since the audio had the same tempo as it did on the real n64, while 60 fps made the music faster. You may be right though, since SSB64 goes past 60fps with sync audio. Still I don't get why Quest64 sounds like it's at normal speed even though it's under 60fps.

Maybe later this week, I will test Clayfighter to see what it's like.
I made some recordings with screen capture software to notate the FPS and VI/s with the Jabo Sound plugin 1.7.0.7 with and without the sync game to audio. With it on, I got 53-55 FPS tops and normal sound. With it off, I got 60 FPS (how the real game ran), but the sound was sped up. With the dreaded and convoluted Shunyuan audio plugin, I got full 60 FPS and normal audio, as much as it's hated, this is far closer to the real deal as far as speed is concerned. If you want me to post videos (which show the FPS and VI count), let me know.

Clearly something's very wrong here. Jabo isn't syncing the game right, as it should be full speed along with the audio being full speed; 53/60 and 55/60 is not full speed by any stretch of the imagination, I wonder why this problem has never been investigated. It's been plaguing PJ64 since, well, forever. I can definitely do more tests to better describe the issue, this is not normal. 60 FPS I believe, is the emulator speed, as games aren't all 60 VI/s, so this should indicate full speed, but when synced audio is enabled, all games should stick to 60 VI/s (in the emulator's own terms), not 90-92% speed. Games are mostly either 30 FPS or 60 FPS, some are even 18 FPS (like Ocarina of Time).

I hope this at least makes some sense, but then again, I'm likely spouting off unsubstantiated BS.

Last edited by the_randomizer; 18th May 2014 at 06:02 AM.
Old 18th May 2014, 06:17 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

What you're saying makes sense. Ironically SSB64 intro was more out of sync (sound wise), when I set jabo to sync audio. I like to use the intro as a test since it is buggy with a lot of plugins & emulators. I pay close attention to Master Hand in the intro.

If Shunyuan's plugin works well, then wouldn't 1964 be good too? You don't have to post videos, unless others want to see it.
Closed Thread