Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v1.6

Old 8th February 2014, 03:04 PM

Default Offering $500 to anyone who can make Mario Kart 64 work right...

This is my favorite game of all time. I just built the most amazing MAME machine that has P64 running via Hyperspin. When I go to play Mario Kart 64, it runs like a dream, UNTIL you try 4-players and then the game is WAY TOO FAST. This has been an issue since the game was first emulated. Has to do with the way Nintendo switched the frame rate when 4-players were racing.

So...is there a fix? All I care about is 4-player action. My pedestal is calibrated perfectly for the game and Mario Kart Double Dash works like a charm. But let's be honest, nobody gives a shit about Double Dash. I want to get MArio Kart 64 working properly. So I am offering $500 to anyone who can fix this issue. Can someone tackle this, or is it an impossible ask?

I know for that money I could just hook up an N64 to my TV, but it's not the same and the game looks so much better emulated. Anyone up for the challenge?

Last edited by kaneda23; 8th February 2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 8th February 2014, 05:23 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Search for "Mario kart 64 (europe) (rev a)" on Google.
I heard it fixes the speedup problem with 4-player races.

Tell us if it worked.
Old 8th February 2014, 08:25 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Basically every single emulator has fucked timing.
It's not unique to just Project64, unfortunately.

Sure, maybe Project64 has it the worst at some spots, but no emulator ever gets it right for frame rate decelerations applied in some games, like GoldenEye 007 and Mario Kart 64 4-player.

I was actually just watching a video on 4-player with MK64 taken of a real N64:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaaLr...=youtu.be&t=6s
I don't know how, but in spite of this being a bug with the actual Mario Kart ROM, the actual N64 plays D.K. Jungle's Parkway at a much more tolerable, slower frame rate in 4-player VS. mode.

It's just one of those things every single emulator gets wrong.

You would have to use a cycle-accurate emulator or something, like what Hacktarux and some others are investing their time in. (But yes, I hear the ROM oddMLan just mentioned might be a working alternative.)
Old 8th February 2014, 09:31 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

...Hrm.

Actually it appears I've underestimated Project64 2.x's ability to throttle the frame rate deceleration timer.

It seems there may be an alternative to using the fixed ROM oddMLan pointed out.
You can play 4-player MK64 at a pretty calm framerate as I've just discovered by experiment....

Working on some non-JPEG professional-style screenshots of the steps to take.
I'll put them in the next post (in progress).

You were probably kidding about the $500 part, but I'll go have fun anyway.
Old 8th February 2014, 10:12 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Step 1: Summon the main "Settings" configuration prompt for Project64.

Step 2: Disable the "Hide Advanced Settings" option by unchecking its box. Click "OK".

Step 3: Right-click where you see your installation of Mario Kart 64 to the Project64 ROM browser, and click "Edit Game Settings".

Step 4:
a) Change the "Counter Factor" setting from 2 to 1.
b) Change "Vi Refresh Rate" to something in the ballpark of between 225 and 375.
c) Disable "Fixed Audio Timing".
d) Click "OK".

The timing in Mario Kart 64 for things like 4-player VS. mode races will now be a lot more gracefully matched to the real hardware timing appearance.

Important side effect: You will have to wait several extra seconds during transitions--namely those in between the select screens before starting a race. If this makes you very impatient, you can either disable the speed limiter in Project64 (through the "System" menu or by using the F4 keyboard shortcut with "Sync Game to Audio" unchecked in the sound plugin configuration) to make the transitions hurry up, or you can try messing with the "Vi Refresh Rate" setting even more.

In general, a low "Vi Refresh Rate" will slow down the internal timing of the core, and a high one will speed it up. If you go underneath my calculated 225 to 375 ballpark, you certainly will maintain the solution of fixing the overly rapid race timing problem, but you will also risk having to wait many extra seconds in between transitions, cut scenes, menus and other things, and quite possibly even crashing the emulation thread into a hung audio playback loop. If you go over my calculated 225 to 375 ballpark, you no longer have to wait as badly for such transitions, but you instead risk the integrity of the core timing fix suggested here, since a higher refresh rate will approach the broken, normal and overly rapid core timing in 4-player VS. mode.

* Was this information helpful to you?
* If not, please tell us your thoughts on how we can improve the information.
* Blah, blah, Microsoft technical support crap goes here.

Last edited by HatCat; 8th February 2014 at 10:49 PM. Reason: revised maximum suggested refresh rate from 275 to 375
Old 8th February 2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatCat View Post
Step 1: Summon the main "Settings" configuration prompt for Project64.

Step 2: Disable the "Hide Advanced Settings" option by unchecking its box. Click "OK".

Step 3: Right-click where you see your installation of Mario Kart 64 to the Project64 ROM browser, and click "Edit Game Settings".

Step 4:
a) Change the "Counter Factor" setting from 2 to 1.
b) Change "Vi Refresh Rate" to something in the ballpark of between 225 and 375.
c) Disable "Fixed Audio Timing".
d) Click "OK".

The timing in Mario Kart 64 for things like 4-player VS. mode races will now be a lot more gracefully matched to the real hardware timing appearance.

Important side effect: You will have to wait several extra seconds during transitions--namely those in between the select screens before starting a race. If this makes you very impatient, you can either disable the speed limiter in Project64 (through the "System" menu or by using the F4 keyboard shortcut with "Sync Game to Audio" unchecked in the sound plugin configuration) to make the transitions hurry up, or you can try messing with the "Vi Refresh Rate" setting even more.

In general, a low "Vi Refresh Rate" will slow down the internal timing of the core, and a high one will speed it up. If you go underneath my calculated 225 to 375 ballpark, you certainly will maintain the solution of fixing the overly rapid race timing problem, but you will also risk having to wait many extra seconds in between transitions, cut scenes, menus and other things, and quite possibly even crashing the emulation thread into a hung audio playback loop. If you go over my calculated 225 to 375 ballpark, you no longer have to wait as badly for such transitions, but you instead risk the integrity of the core timing fix suggested here, since a higher refresh rate will approach the broken, normal and overly rapid core timing in 4-player VS. mode.

* Was this information helpful to you?
* If not, please tell us your thoughts on how we can improve the information.
* Blah, blah, Microsoft technical support crap goes here.
Let me try this tomorrow and see if it works. I know for sure that the Euro Rev A rom does not fix the problem.

THANK YOU!
Old 8th February 2014, 11:37 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Yeah, but I misjudged a tad bit.

Does it slow it down enough? Yes I think so.

I spent a little too much time playing with the VI refresh values based on how fast that cloud Lakitu dude counted down the red/yellow/green light, and not the actual speed of the race.

The other problem is that this makes 1P mode slower (but not by a terrible amount if you pick a well-balanced enough value) in exchange for making 4P mode the right speed, so you might end up swapping configurations per mode of play or "balancing them out" into a distributed value like 375.

375 is still a little fast in 4P mode, but it's not as bad as you have it now.

Anything >= 500 seems pretty much just as broken as when you started.

Last edited by HatCat; 8th February 2014 at 11:43 PM.
Old 9th February 2014, 04:48 PM

Hey guys,

Having an issue...I am running P64 Emulator 1.7.0.49 (Leroy Jenkins). When I click on Mario Kart edit game settings, I don't get an option to adjust framerate, all I get is...wait for it...I have to make 5 posts before I can post a image.
Old 9th February 2014, 04:48 PM

wait for it...
Old 9th February 2014, 04:53 PM

wait for it.....