Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v1.6

Old 7th September 2016, 01:27 AM

Default Why has Project64 become essentially adware?

Don't get me wrong, I used to love project64. Now, however, I've had to switch to a different emulator. It's pretty low of this emulator to force a pop up that forces itself up for a good lengthy period of time trying to beg for donations every single time you open the thing. I've used much better emulators that don't do that. I had been tempted to donate before it started doing this... not anymore. It's a good emulator but if I'm not going to donate the first time you ask me, I will sure as heck NEVER donate if you ask me like some desperate virus shoving popups in my face. I don't even get WHY they did this in the first place, one pop up would have been enough. Or potentially a "no, ask in 30 days" "No, ask later" "no, never ask again" option. Yet instead it's driven me away and I'm sure I can't be the only one. I can't even suggest this anymore to people interested in emulation either. My main question is what is the most recent build that doesn't have this ad popup upon every run of the program?
Old 7th September 2016, 07:48 AM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Administrator

it should do it once at start up so if you do not restart it does it once. It does it at max for seconds.

You might had been tempted to donate before it started doing this, but I doubt you ever would have. If you really want to get around it with out paying I can tell you how to do it.

You can donate as much as you like does not have to be much. If there is no delay, I bet you would just click and never even look at the screen.
Old 8th September 2016, 05:41 AM

It does do it at startup... every single startup. I can't just leave it running, either. I can totally see the first start up... but every one? If a person says no once, it being forced every single time you start it up is not going to change their mind. Especially when it sits there for 30+ seconds every time.

I do like to throw some money in the way of things that I like, when I'm able to afford it. Regardless on whether I would have at some point or not, however, it being forced so heavily is still not cool. I would appreciate a way to get this pop up to stop and let me donate on my own terms.

Like I said, the first time I can totally see it being up for 30 seconds or even more. Heck. At first run after download I can see it being up a full minute. But if that is denied, I can't see it taking so long to allow one to continue every subsequent time. I don't mind the popup so much as the fact it prevents me from doing anything for over half a minute every time I try to fire it up. 5 seconds or less would be adequate after it's denied once. Even a little donation link in the bottom corner of the game screen would work and be a little less intrusive for those who can't or don't want to donate.

Donation minimum is $2. As little as that is, I'm unable to justify spending that just to stop an annoying popup right now. My income is already higher on the outbound then inbound most months through bills.

I apologize if I sound unreasonable, as I said I love the program. I just hate when programs do this sort of thing. I totally understand getting financial support but I hate when it's done like this.
Old 8th September 2016, 07:24 AM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Administrator

it should only be 30 seconds.

I tried to design it so it was not to annoying while still effective. It is modeled on Shareware apps.

If you have the one option and you can then hide it, the response rate would be like 0.00000000000001%. Even with the current design it is still super low.

Is 30 seconds at start up really that bad?
Old 8th September 2016, 02:29 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

x86 re-compilers should cost money.

If I were President, I would build a wall around the Windows port of Project64 and spam constant pop-ups saying to switch to the interpreter core to get rid of the nag-screen, or just pay for the x86 (not ARM) dynarec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfSpirit View Post
It's a good emulator but if I'm not going to donate the first time you ask me, I will sure as heck NEVER donate if you ask me like some desperate virus shoving popups in my face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfSpirit View Post
I can totally see the first start up... but every one? If a person says no once, it being forced every single time you start it up is not going to change their mind.
Both of these propose the likelihood that saying NO the first time means that continuous requests are even more likely to be answered with NO.

It follows, then, that the first time saying NO already determines that that person will most likely never donate anyway, in which case it doesn't really matter what does or doesn't happen after that, so nothing would change their mind anyway...?

Don't mind me though. I haven't run the Windows port of Project64 in almost 12 months now and have no idea what the adware looks like or run as.
Old 8th September 2016, 11:15 PM

It is 30 seconds from when the popup starts. Last time I tried running, the popup didn't show up for about 5-7 seconds, so therefore I was stuck waiting for 35-37 seconds. Before that, I was stuck 33 before I could do anything.

I could see if it was 30 or more seconds first run (And possibly once every 7 days from there on), and 5 seconds the rest of the time. I feel that would be a little less of a headache for those set on never donating (Which is fine because a donation is just that, donation), but still enough to push those who would be willing to do so.

I do understand the point... intrusive enough to make people want to fork over something, but not make it seem like an application you need to pay to use. Don't get me wrong, I do want to see you compensated for the work in this program and the last thing I want to see if whatever donations you do get to be hurt. It's just I feel you don't really need more then 5 seconds to decide if you're doing to donate in that particular instance. If you are going to have a wait at every start up, personally I think 15 seconds would be better. It would still be intrusive to hopefully get people to think 'well okay maybe I'll just donate' but not hit the point of 'this is getting annoying'

30 seconds isn't bad.. once in a while. Like I said I could see it once every 7 days, for instance. But every single time you try to open a program, then that becomes much. I do think it should have to make you wait a moment otherwise it would be like poor old WinRAR, but I still feel 30 seconds per run is a bit much.

To HatCat, if a person says no the first time it is unlikely a person will say yes later on, though not impossible and they may change their mind, which is why I do actually agree with having some form of this popup. Some people just don't have the means to do so at the time, or some don't know if they're going to enjoy the program enough. For someone who is teetering on edge on if they should or not will more likely decide no when they're forced to sit for so long every single time. But having to sit at least a little while doesn't hurt.

I totally agree there should be a reminder to donate if you can. But I don't really see it fair being so annoying to those who are pretty set in not donating. As I've mentioned, I agree with the popup and even the hold on being able to press continue. But... as long as it is feels a bit too long.

And as a total side question, what specifically makes the interpreter core so much better?
Old 9th September 2016, 12:52 AM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Administrator

the interpter is a lot simpler and a lot slower. The recompiler is just a speed optimization.

would a random time between 5 and 30 seconds be better then a fixed 30 seconds ?
Old 9th September 2016, 02:14 AM

Ah okay, I see. I'll stick with recompiler then lol

And actually I think that would be a really good idea and much better then my originally suggested one. Plus with it being random I imagine people would actually keep the pop up open instead of just minimizing the window until the timer is through.
Old 9th September 2016, 02:34 AM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Administrator

ok when I do the next release 2.3.1 I will change it to be a random time