Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 27th August 2011, 05:54 PM
Project Supporter

Question Has Project 64 been abandoned?

Hello,

First of all, an apology for what must be an irritating thread topic to long-time Project64 forum users. I realize that this question has been asked before, but the askers were generally quite rude, and (justifiably) never got a straight answer on the subject.

I am new to Project64, and have found navigating through the site to be a little daunting. Though there is lots of activity on the forums, other areas of the site are not exactly forthcoming with information to newcomers. It is hard to tell whether the developers are just really busy with their personal lives (which is great!), or if the project has actually been abandoned for good.

I was quite delighted when I stumbled across Project64, and have really enjoyed using the emulator these past couple of days. I would be more than happy to give the $20 donation to help continue development of version 1.7, but if the project is already dead, I think it's understandable that I would not want to throw the money away. I completely understand that the developers have their own lives to lead, and that something like Project64 does not happen overnight, but it would be great to have a little reassurance that 1.7 could one day see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks a lot,
tree_frog
Old 27th August 2011, 09:03 PM

It's hard to tell, actually. The developers are very rarely, if ever, here. Project 64 1.7 has been in development for many years and even though they have their own lives, I think we are entitled to at least get to know whether the project is forthcoming or if it is halted.

Surely they cannot be so busy that they are ineligible to get online for a few minutes to say: "yes, we are working on it everyday" or "I'm sorry, we aren't working on it as much as we used to"

I'm not complaining, I just find it very hard to believe that a human being is so busy that he/she cannot go online on this site and share with us what is happening. If they were that busy, something would be wrong.
Old 27th August 2011, 09:41 PM
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree_frog View Post

never got a straight answer on the subject.
Bull. I tell them that it's still being worked on. Pretty straight up if you ask me

Although I agree, a little feedback would be nice.
Old 27th August 2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natnatertatertot View Post
a little feedback would be nice.
Yes. Unless they work 24/7 on something, they can spare a few minutes going on here telling us what the deal is. Now, I haven't donated a dime to them so I can't really demand anything, though the ones labeled "Project Supporter" can, seeing as they probably want their money's worth.

Although, just because you donate something, doesn't mean you're entitled to anything either. After all, it's called a donation, something you're doing by your own free will, and whatnot.
Old 27th August 2011, 09:55 PM
Project Supporter

yep. Even though Zilmar gave me this status I would donate my moneez if I had the means to XD
Old 28th August 2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natnatertatertot View Post
yep. Even though Zilmar gave me this status I would donate my moneez if I had the means to XD
As of now, I see no real reason to donate a dime. Sure, it's only 20 bucks but I still don't like wasting money.
Old 28th August 2011, 04:36 PM
Project Supporter

Hmm, well thank you very much for the answers. I agree that the developers could probably get more donations if they were more transparent about their progress, however slow it may be.
Old 28th August 2011, 05:35 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

So you donated?
Old 28th August 2011, 06:41 PM

In a way I blame the way the admins set up their site. I've seen Project64 v1.6 for around 5 years now and I think I started with N64 emulation 2006-2007. I can't quite remember. I would think by now I would see v1.7 final be released and v1.8 be in the beta. Anyways, the stable release is v1.6 which is free yet the beta release is v1.7 which requires a $20 donation. I think most people aren't willing to commit to that, especially for something that is buggy (like me, sorry ) which means there is a lack of many beta testers. I don't think any other emulator site for any game console sets it up like that. The donation is optional on those sites. I really don't know what happened during the beta of v1.7 so correct me if I am wrong. I really think if donations were optional there would be a surge of beta testers and we could have probably even seen Project64 2.0 by now.

From my experiences, Project64 is the best N64 emulator out there but it is way behind in emulation. It is so far behind I've seen Dolphin emulator emulate GCN and Wii games almost perfectly in HD quality and yet we have Project64 still having a few graphical glitches and speed issues. I could be wrong because I did see YouTube videos of Dolphin emulator and the speed could not be 100% real-time thanks to frame by frame recording which gives the illusion of full 50FPS PAL or 60FPS NTSC.

Mozilla FireFox and The Angry Video Game Nerd aren't gods.
Old 28th August 2011, 07:44 PM

Yes, the project is abandoned.

But Zilmar and Jabo has no chance to compete with the real Nintendo 64 console. This (Project64) graphics sucks and crap, it's full of glitches and instability.

The Wii's Virtual Console is much better and emulate with very precision, pal.

Last edited by Reggie; 28th August 2011 at 07:47 PM.

Tags
1.7, abandoned, dead, devlopment, nintendo1889_is_an_idiot, progress, squall_is_a_bitching_mofo