Old 23rd December 2008, 09:42 AM
Project Supporter

Yes please, start scattering files everywhere, like other bullshit programs.
I suggest using registry for everything (different keys for each parameter of course), plugins in %Common Files/Plugins% etc
That's the way to go (M$ thinks that, so you can't be wrong).
Old 23rd December 2008, 09:55 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

The Windows Registry is a joke, its bloated enough as it is...
I store every thing I use in a Single Emulation Directory and Sub-directories for each console, and subs to those to store the ROMS, SRMs, Savestates, etc.

Storing anything of importance in the DOCs & Settings is foolish.
Old 2nd January 2009, 11:50 PM

Exclamation wtf?

So, anyone gonna post anything useful or is pj just gonna sit here for years at a time?

there hasn't been a post since november!

post something new please!
Old 3rd January 2009, 07:08 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Just leave it the way it is, one set of self contained folder, with sub-folder as needed.
Old 4th January 2009, 07:10 PM

one single folder: where the exe is.

i hate "where the heck are the save/config files".

old design is the best one. registry is just a pain in the ass and the app folder is annoying too. one folder. thank you
Old 2nd February 2009, 08:25 PM

Hello,

I just wanted to chime in on this topic because I feel it's pretty important here.

You should write the software in accordance with the operating system's guidelines. It should be no question. If your users are complaining about having to manage save game files then you should offer them a menu of sorts to manage those files for the user. (Something akin to import/export bookmarks in Firefox/etc.)

It really shouldn't be any question on how to handle this. The people on this forum who are talking BS about Windows--it doesn't matter in the end, this is the OS you're dealing with. And its conventions should be followed.

If developers followed the conventions of the OS, there would be far less problems than there are today.

I expect the PJ64 developers to be able to, for example, clean up their own registry mess if they indeed use it.

You could offer the option of a portability mode for those users that want that, as well. However, my assumption is that most of the time this function is overrated. Who exactly needs portability on a game emulator? Portable TOR, Firefox, IM programs--I can understand all of those to an extent. But an N64 Emulator?
Old 2nd February 2009, 10:43 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

what he said
Old 18th February 2009, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagamiAKO View Post
Hello,

I just wanted to chime in on this topic because I feel it's pretty important here.

You should write the software in accordance with the operating system's guidelines. It should be no question. If your users are complaining about having to manage save game files then you should offer them a menu of sorts to manage those files for the user. (Something akin to import/export bookmarks in Firefox/etc.)

It really shouldn't be any question on how to handle this. The people on this forum who are talking BS about Windows--it doesn't matter in the end, this is the OS you're dealing with. And its conventions should be followed.

If developers followed the conventions of the OS, there would be far less problems than there are today.

I expect the PJ64 developers to be able to, for example, clean up their own registry mess if they indeed use it.

You could offer the option of a portability mode for those users that want that, as well. However, my assumption is that most of the time this function is overrated. Who exactly needs portability on a game emulator? Portable TOR, Firefox, IM programs--I can understand all of those to an extent. But an N64 Emulator?
I strongly disagree with this. First of all, claiming "who would want the emulator on a flash drive?" is just a poor assumption. I, for one, regularly put Project64 on USB flash drives (mine and my friends'), and I regularly copy/paste the PJ64 folder to other peoples' computers so they can use it easily. Not only this, but I like simply being able to delete one folder off my drive to uninstall (things tend to go wrong eventually, and this makes it much more simple to uninstall).

What I've seen a lot of my favorite applications do is, however, exactly what you suggest: create two downloads, an installer and a portable version in an archive. I've always liked this solution, as the installer works great for many people, but I almost always use the portable version for various reasons.

Last edited by twocows; 18th February 2009 at 02:36 AM.
Old 18th February 2009, 08:53 AM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocows View Post
What I've seen a lot of my favorite applications do is, however, exactly what you suggest: create two downloads, an installer and a portable version in an archive. I've always liked this solution, as the installer works great for many people, but I almost always use the portable version for various reasons.
Most likely we will have just one install, where you can choose between the two versions you say.
Old 18th February 2009, 11:12 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Hey twocows,

I currently have Project64 1.6 on my flash drive. I also learned my lesson and never bring it to school anymore for the most part. This is what my fourth--one for each year?
I actually had Trillian on my first flash drive as well.

Anyway I think he (MagamiAko) was referring to the concept behind concerning portability into other dimensions. He mostly seemed to refer to conforming to the operating system's uniquity more than talking about flash drives.

Tags
features