Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v2.x - Issues

Old 17th September 2010, 03:09 AM

Exclamation Cheat has completely ruined my game. Help?

EDIT: Problem has been fixed, no thanks to the flamers on this page below.

I've been putting alot of my free time recently into Donkey Kong 64 on this fantastic emulator. No problems, everything has run smoothly, until I came across the Mad Jack boss. Being a noob, I used, for the first time ever, the built-in cheats and activated "Infinite > Health[v]" to beat the boss. After doing this, I attempted to de-activate the cheat.

I exited the emulator and upon restarting the game, I now have NO watermelons at all. I have 0 cheats activated, and my game is now horribly glitched.

-I cannot pick up ANY items (i.e., Golden bananas, watermelon, boss keys, ammo crates)
- I die after 1 hit unless the cheat is activated (I have no watermelons, so I have no health)

When I say "I have no watermelons" I mean that when I pause the game using the game's start button, it shows all my items, but my watermelons, instead of being shown on top of the screen, are not there at all.

I found out that I can't pick up items after spending over an hour killing a boss and not being able to collect the key. Now, thanks to this stupid irreversable bug, I must re-kill the boss. OH WAIT, I CAN'T.

I deleted my cookies, I even uninstalled and reinstalled the entire emulator. This bug still exists. I can't complete the game now.

Can someone help me? If you don't have actual help, please don't respond thanks.

Last edited by PillDoubt; 17th September 2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 17th September 2010, 10:31 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillDoubt View Post
Can someone help me? If you don't have actual help, please don't respond thanks.
Unfortunately all I can tell you is that Donkey Kong 64 is highly sensitive to a couple of the cheats bundled with Project64, the infinite health cheat I think being one of them. The only way to reset your save and memory to before the problems introduced by the cheat would be to search memory for where all the data is and exactly what it was set to before your game progress was harmed.
Old 17th September 2010, 10:40 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswedlow View Post
Unfortunately all I can tell you is that Donkey Kong 64 is highly sensitive to a couple of the cheats bundled with Project64, the infinite health cheat I think being one of them. The only way to reset your save and memory to before the problems introduced by the cheat would be to search memory for where all the data is and exactly what it was set to before your game progress was harmed.
I JUST fixed it, I re-activated the cheat which gave me 4 (empty) watermelons. After letting a beaver hit me a few times, I turned the cheat off. Then I angrily clicked the check box a few times, then hit 'Unmark all'. After letting the beaver damage me (my melons were now taking damage again!) I ran back and forth through the melon, eventually able to pick it up. I tested this on a few orange grenades and I can pick up items now! YES!

I guess I deserve this for cheating :P But thanks for giving me advice, I'm a real noob when it comes to things like this.
Old 26th September 2010, 10:47 PM

Well, this was an entertaining read. :P
Now I have to see if I can find out why the cheats are wrong. >.>
Old 27th September 2010, 01:29 AM

Code:
817FCB8D 0001
817FCB85 0500
Those two will fix it if you have one watermelon.
However, when you have two or more, it will probably break your game again, so I'm thinking that somewhere there's a counter for the total number of watermelons you should have, and when the value for how many you have and should have don't match, it gives you 0.
I don't really have the patience to try to find that value, though, so a work around is:

Code:
One:
817FCB8D 0001
817FCB85 0500

Two:
817FCB8D 0002
817FCB85 0900

Three:
817FCB8D 0003
817FCB85 0C00

Four:
817FCB8D 0004
817FCB85 1100
(Advanced Users Note: 817FCB85 isn't the real address for current health, but due to how PJ64 deals with memory, the most significant bits actually overwrite the real value's least significant bits)
Old 12th December 2010, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillDoubt View Post
EDIT: Problem has been fixed, no thanks to the flamers on this page below.

I've been putting alot of my free time recently into Donkey Kong 64 on this fantastic emulator. No problems, everything has run smoothly, until I came across the Mad Jack boss. Being a noob, I used, for the first time ever, the built-in cheats and activated "Infinite > Health[v]" to beat the boss. After doing this, I attempted to de-activate the cheat.

I exited the emulator and upon restarting the game, I now have NO watermelons at all. I have 0 cheats activated, and my game is now horribly glitched.

-I cannot pick up ANY items (i.e., Golden bananas, watermelon, boss keys, ammo crates)
- I die after 1 hit unless the cheat is activated (I have no watermelons, so I have no health)

When I say "I have no watermelons" I mean that when I pause the game using the game's start button, it shows all my items, but my watermelons, instead of being shown on top of the screen, are not there at all.

I found out that I can't pick up items after spending over an hour killing a boss and not being able to collect the key. Now, thanks to this stupid irreversable bug, I must re-kill the boss. OH WAIT, I CAN'T.

I deleted my cookies, I even uninstalled and reinstalled the entire emulator. This bug still exists. I can't complete the game now.

If you have completely solved this problem, please tell me how I have had the exact same problem word to word
Old 9th February 2014, 01:28 AM

Then what was it you did to fix it? I've not played DK64 for years. I pulled my DK64 cart and my N64 console out of the closet today, dusted off this old nostalgia, and plugged it in and started to play. Then suddenly it was obvious that there was something very wrong. I find that NO ITEMS can be picked up. Even worse I have 1 health to start (hit ANYTHING and it's instant death). And I can't pick up any items. If memory serves, you are supposed to just need to touch items to pick them up (ammo boxes, etc), but I can't pick up any items. You say you have this problem. You say you fixed it, but not how. Please tell me how you fixed it. I don't want to have to go to ebay and buy another copy of DK64. I've got plenty of progress on my current cartridge, and I do not want to lose all my progress.

Tags
cheat, donkey, glitch, items, kong