Old 18th November 2008, 06:33 AM

I believe I isolated the problem, by default the Register Caching was enabled, but after I disabled said feature I was able to play numerous battles using the code and I didn't get any error(s).

So now that the problem has been narrowed, all I can ask is why? Well, first I guess I should ask, what does Register Caching do and is there a reason it's enabled by default? May be knowing that will help me understand why having this enabled caused errors.

EDIT - I have an update to this matter. First let me say I can't say that my fix works in the 1.7 betas. However I can say that with this cheat enabled, if I let the opening scenes come up rather then clicking to the main menu as quickly as I can, then the game will lock up. Also sometimes during mid-battle the game will lock up with this code enabled, but still I get no errors.

This edit comes from me testing this out on a different machine one that isn't vista (unlike my home machine)

Last edited by DaFees; 18th November 2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 18th November 2008, 11:22 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Better now than never...but why can I not seem to get your code to work? I've tried VS Mode and 1P Mode with a few characters and on Sector Z, Peach's Castle. Unless there's something consistent you do. My exact write-down here is 801348F3 0000.

Caching of registers is perhaps the recompiler's most significant memory optimization component. If it had been one of those three other settings that would be surprising and useful to evaluate since they are disregarded in the interpreter core for lesser technical reasons; register caching is a big reason why the recompiler is faster than the interpreter. In many cases fixes to games need the interpreter core, but disabling the big registers component seems to improve recompiler stability. For more information please see the User Manual (Help) for details on processing settings.

I also have Vista. The beta 1.7 stability is not that important because zilmar has excercised some compatibility fixes in the recompiler--some of which were very risky in result. In the recent betas this has been reduced very much, but some games are still much less stable than they are on 1.6 especially on Vista. For now zilmar's concern is the transition to working on the site and the emulator interface to get back from his other life work.
Old 19th November 2008, 12:59 AM

Ok, I guess perhaps I should explain how I do things. When you first enable the cheat, if you go straight into a match the cheat won't work as it will read the damage percentage as being the default 100%. If you go the vs mode options you'll see the damage percentage at the default 100% but if you exit that screen then go back, then the damage percentage should read whatever you set it to in the code. After you see that, then begin your VS. match. Also I should add that this currently only works in VS. mode because you can't (visually at least) change the damage percentage in the single player modes.
Old 19th November 2008, 01:17 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Mr. Syrup

Sorry ive been meaning to test this but life has been busy, im glad you were able to explain how it worked before i got confused and added some sort of comment on how it doesn't work hehe
Also, on top of what I said above, you listen here okay?! Look closely at this fist, if you so much as smell it wrong it'll impose itself onto your face okay?! You think you tough? I bet behind that PC you're just a timid old clown capable of nothing but wackin the sackin. You smell me tigga?!
Old 19th November 2008, 03:06 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Oh I see you searched in memory while modifying the damage variable directly...that's why it applies to all courses. For some reason I thought you changed the Damage setting, started a fight, and then searched the memory, then went back and changed the setting...I guess I wasn't thinking along the lines of the variable being updated without exiting the menu.

Yeah that was pretty fun throwing Kirby with R repeatedly trying to get [him?] off of the walkway, that obnoxious ARWING blasting him over and over with no effect in the meantime, the invincibility....

I see they don't stay in the air for a long time, but what this doesn't control is weight during being in the air as opposed to weight resistance from being thrown. Metal mario is one heavy man.