Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v2.x - Suggestions

Old 1st February 2013, 11:48 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

no, foss wont help pj64.

if you looked at what zilmar done so far with working on RSP accuracy, he is doing VERY well on his own.
Old 1st February 2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by et500 View Post
Open source software often gets stolen or sold for money by people who did not contribute a single line of code.
That's why we have licenses. Depending on the license, the developer can take action against commercial rips of the emulator. This isn't a very valid argument to remain closed when it is already freeware.

Mupen64 and 1964 shouldn't be relevant either. Their source code DOES get put to use by third parties. Mupen64 has seen alot more attention than 1964, and it doesn't support the idea that open source N64 emulators get left in the dust. Take a look at Mupen64GC and Mupen64-360.

To be fair, I didn't think PJ64 1.6 was going to take off that far after it was discovered and put on GitHub. There were some enhancements from documented findings, like RTC access and X-Scale's CIC-NUS-6105 algorithm, but there hasn't been activity for some time now.

If these are things that the developer(s) can take care of on their own, that DOES bring into the question of necessity for going open source to the developers. Considering an open source approach shouldn't be limited to what can be contributed directly to the mainline and how timely. There are many any other benefits to other people that start the potential quid pro que exchange.

Zilmar, are there any reasons you DO NOT want the source code to be open? All I have heard was that you don't think it would help you. That may be, but I don't see how being closed provides more of a benefit. If it won't help you, why don't you want it to help other people interested?

Last edited by weinerschnitzel; 1st February 2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 2nd February 2013, 12:13 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinerschnitzel View Post
Zilmar, are there any reasons you DO NOT want the source code to be open? All I have heard was that you don't think it would help you. That may be, but I don't see how being closed provides more of a benefit. If it won't help you, why don't you want it to help other people interested?
And why did he set up donation site?

▐▀▌█ ▐▀ ▐▐
. . . ▐▄▌▐ ▐▀▌▀▌. . .
▐ ▄▄▌▐▄▌ ▐
Old 2nd February 2013, 02:30 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I'm too fat to read through this thread.

Like zilmar said, "cat vs internet" (closes thread)

Also, that thing about, taking somebody's source code for open-source and contributing nothing to it, but selling it or the program for money using somebody else's source.

Well, hell.
I wouldn't be too offended by that.
Shows me my work is worth being made money off of, even if I'm not the one getting it.
That's my screwed up way of thinking about it anyway. I'm not a capitalist.

Love is the solution to problems like that. We can make laws or software policies attempting to catch people at it, but it doesn't always work + haters gonna hate.

No matter how open-source I made something like a N64 plugin, I suppose nobody but me will touch it in the next 5,000 years, but after 5,001 years I'm sure someone will fixate it to use SSSSSSSSE9001 Super Saiyan edition and take advantage that it was open-source to begin with.
Old 2nd February 2013, 03:25 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCat View Post
No matter how open-source I made something like a N64 plugin, I suppose nobody but me will touch it in the next 5,000 years, but after 5,001 years I'm sure someone will fixate it to use SSSSSSSSE9001 Super Saiyan edition and take advantage that it was open-source to begin with.
that is so true. hardly anything i made is touched, lol. then people want stuff fossed. It doesnt make sense.
Old 2nd February 2013, 05:17 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I hear shit like that on this forum a lot, from people who don't even know like what HTML? And off Mdkcheatz personally too.
It's like, let me know when you're ready to contribute, numbnuts.

When he learned that I was experimenting with SRAM/FLASHRAM editors, N64 mempak defragmenters, or RCP emulation goals, his immediate assertion was "Make that shit open-source!"

Even though at the time it was already open-source, it gave me this feeling that I should make do the opposite and close-source it out of spite against him for inattentively demanding it XD.

I do know a few high-level language programmers who are empathetic over open-sourcing everything, but systems stuff, eh, in those group chats I never see talk over closed- and open-source as like two separate religions or something.