Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 2nd April 2013, 11:55 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Mr. Syrup

Talking Hey You, Pikachu! (A new project begins)

UPDATE

View all these images HERE

Following Zilmar's decision to open source Project64, I have decided to open up a few projects. We all know of certain N64 games which remain UNPLAYABLE due to needing special individual attention for whatever reason. One such game is Hey You, Pikachu! Which requires a special VRU (Voice Recognition Unit) accessory that came with the game for the game to function.

Much like many people, I always suspected that the VRU converts voice input by the mic into regular controller commands. Well, I was wrong! I've been doing some extensive research and now realize that the processes involved are much more complicated than that.

Don't feel discouraged! After peaking closely at the systems involved in the game and hardware, I've become increasing more confident of finding a reasonable solution to at least be able to play the game. The best way forward is designing a micro-emulator that can effectively emulate the converted voice input data that would normally be processed by the VRU. This would mean there will not be a capability to use the mic but rather assigned keys or buttons that function like voice.

To get voice to work in such way would require voice recognition software which is too complicated of a project to work on. But maybe eventually can be added into the equation by someone determined enough.

The project to get Hey You, Pikachu! will be handled in the alpha forum here just to keep it clean upon adding research and development. Anyone who has access is welcome to contribute. Anyone is welcome to use the research for their own project. I will not withhold any data. I cannot also guarentee I will succeed or finish this project, but I can tell you right now I already have a lot of valuable information that can help find the solution.

Code:
Initializating...
Initialization complete.
Booting: (Operation) Screw You, Pikachu!...
Booting complete.
Launching commands...
Finally started logging my discoveries pertaining to the Voice Recognition Unit. I will start including more and more information. The following is a chart explaining the process. If it doesn't make sense, don't be alarmed because I will start including more and more research data to hopefully articulate the entire concept.

Okay now you know the basic processes involved with the VRU accessory. Below is a chart explaining the components associated with the physical N64 Console. I will later use this chart when I go into details explaining the workings that are involved with Hey You, Pikachu! Herein referred to as ROM21.

Coming soon are the ROM21 processes...

--------------------------------

As promised, here is a layout of ROM21 mapped out, this is the video game's ROM image for Hey You, Pikachu!

More to come soon further explaining this...
Also, on top of what I said above, you listen here okay?! Look closely at this fist, if you so much as smell it wrong it'll impose itself onto your face okay?! You think you tough? I bet behind that PC you're just a timid old clown capable of nothing but wackin the sackin. You smell me tigga?!

Last edited by Mdkcheatz; 6th April 2013 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Additions..
Old 3rd April 2013, 12:20 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I always heard that the mic works with the adaptoid and it's plugin :3
Old 3rd April 2013, 12:35 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Mr. Syrup

It's not the mic that's the problem, it the VRU that te mic attaches to that translates converted voice input by the mic into data understood by the N64 console and the cartridge ROM. All other accessories seem to use similarly used commands to operate but the VRU uses custom made commands which complicates the matter.

So on one hand you could use a real VRU to play an emulated copy of the game (you supposedly own) via adaptoid. But most of us do not have an adaptoid to do this. Also keep in mind for many who already own the game but lost their VRU, would likely have to buy a new VRU and another copy of the game they already own (since the VRU was sold with the game, so people selling their used VRU are likely to sell them together since either on their own are pointless.)
Also, on top of what I said above, you listen here okay?! Look closely at this fist, if you so much as smell it wrong it'll impose itself onto your face okay?! You think you tough? I bet behind that PC you're just a timid old clown capable of nothing but wackin the sackin. You smell me tigga?!
Old 4th April 2013, 03:49 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Mr. Syrup

Added the processes involved with the VRU... See first starter post.
Old 5th April 2013, 11:01 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Mr. Syrup

Added a map of ROM21

If any of the images are difficult to read, just access them via their original source and they should be much clearer.
Old 6th April 2013, 10:30 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

So how did you learn about the voice recognition unit?
Old 14th March 2014, 11:18 PM

Exclamation Its 2014, is Hey You, Pikachu! Playable on Project 64??

Its 2014, is Hey You, Pikachu! Playable on Project 64??
Old 25th September 2015, 04:03 AM

http://www.emutalk.net/threads/55279...l=1#post455945

Looks like the other half is done.
Old 1st May 2016, 03:45 AM

Default I have an idea!

I've been following this project for quite a while now, but only just came up with any input that might be essential.

My idea basically bypasses the need for the VRU entirely: use an offline/locally stored port of Google's voice recognition software with a dictionary limited to only the commands recognized by the game; this ensures higher accuracy and lower processing times. From there, the output words are each matched to command files, also stored locally, that contain the recognizable voice print data. It would then form a command string from all the involved words to complete the action. It would all have to be wrapped up into a plugin with ports to gain access to microphone, PTT-style (EDIT: I'm not entirely sure if it's similar or not, but "ThuuMic" might be on the right track: www[dot]nexusmods[dot]com/skyrim/mods/5626/?). I'd do it myself, but I have no knowledge of such things; I have ideas, but not the means to implement them myself. So I figured you might be better suited to the task.

Cheers mate. I hope this helped.
Alaester Nikolai Modern.

Last edited by vaanatffxii; 1st May 2016 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Additional content.
Old 1st May 2016, 12:59 PM
Project Supporter

Look at the thread the last link that has been posted. Falkoner has already done the dictionary part

Tags
voice recognition unit