Old 11th November 2015, 09:15 PM

Default Conker's Bad Fur Day help

Forgive me, I am new to the forums.

I don't know if you can help me here, but if you can't please pass me on to someone who can.

I am new to N64 Emulation and have been trying to emulate Conker's Bad Fur Day as good as possible for about a week now.

What I mean by "As good as possible" is that Pewdiepie did a play through of the game and I have been trying to match what he used to emulate the game even though he never told anyone how he did it. The reasons for this is because he went through the game with no problems.

Here are my PC specs:
Processor: Intel i5 dual core running at 2.66ghz,
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GT 635m (1GB)
Ram: 4 GB (3.90 available)

I am almost certain that this is enough to run an N64 emulator. Here are the pros and cons of the different variations I have tried:

Project64:
CON: Crashes after 10 or so minutes of play

Project64 with different graphics plugins:
Jabo's Direct3d8 1.7.057-ver5: Textures look nothing like they did in Pewdiepie's video, some textures dissapear and then come back... Like they go under a surface and then pop up but with funny lines over them before returning to proper state - depends how far away conker is from the texture - Seems like if textures are close enough they will go through each other. Also, conkers eyes glitch out in cut scenes.

Jabo's Direct3d8 1.6.1 (and other 1.6 versions of Jabo's plugin): Perfect textures but still has that distance rendering problem and conkers eyes are funny in cut scenes.

Glide64 (Final): Textures look different and I get screen tear with v-sync ON in all places. Also I get a funny black line that runs on the ground next to conker wherever he goes and sometimes the shadow forms a large square around conker.

My next hope was Mupen64plus (I am a traitor):
CON: Low frame rate in open areas

Mupen64plus with different graphics plugins:
Glide64 (The one that came with the emulator): Black eyes, black background, weird square in top left of screen.
Glide64mk2: Different textures and low fps, everything else perfect.

With nothing else working I moved on to 1964 ultrafast:
CON: Buggiest emulator and when I load a state for testing the thing glitches out, the game freezes, and then it becomes unresponsive. Also when I open the rom file it takes ages to start the emulation.

1964 Ultrafast with the default plugin: Textures are good but audio cuts out heaps and crashes often. Not a good option.

I have tried a few more plugins but with no solution to the problems. I want something that can emulate the game with the right textures: So far I have only found earlier versions of Jabo's plugins to work along with the 1964 one. And, I want a good frame rate with no glitchy textures.

Any help would be appreciated

Jordan
Old 12th November 2015, 08:45 PM

Bruh. Get yourself a new version of PJ64. The BSOD is fixed. Also, the included Glide64 or GLideN64 should be your best bets.
Old 12th November 2015, 10:03 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

You can get the smoothest framerates with these codes...

Lag Fix
8002ABA2 000D
I found this one myself.

Framerate Fix
8102BE42 0671
Conker Guru found it for PAL,but I ported it to NTSC.
Old 12th November 2015, 11:05 PM

Thank you retroben.

I hope this does not come across as a stupid question, but where do I put these codes? In one of the glide.ini files or something else?

Sorry if this comes across as a silly question and thank you for your reply.
Old 12th November 2015, 11:22 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Start the game, goto menu System and select Cheats.

In the cheats dialog box, click the > arrow at the right to open up the editing to add a new cheat.

Type the code and value exactly as retroben has written them, in the <address> box, type a name/description for what it does, and click the Add Cheat button.

Edit: This is for 2.2+.

2nd Edit: The <value> section is always greyed out here, so just put the value after the code (in the address box) as they have been written above.

Last edited by Frank74; 12th November 2015 at 11:27 PM.
Old 13th November 2015, 03:00 AM

Thank you SO much everyone. I am using the gliden64 plugin that tony971 suggested and have now got the framerate up thanks to retroben and Frank74.

Also, to anyone out there who finds that they have a small black line trailing around/behind/to the side of conker etc. I may have the solution: While I was admiring these frame rate fixes, I turned up anti aliasing in my settings and got this funny line back. Turning it off solved my problem.

It could just be me being a perfectionist but i am noticing the audio cutting out for a split second every once in a while. Is there a remedy for this? If not that is fine.

Edit: Also I have noticed that while using this gliden64 plugin that the textures seem blurry until Conker walks up to them. Is there any way to fix this? The audio is less of an issue.

Edit #2: I turned mip-mapping off and BOOM! I get the same looking textures that Pewdiepie had. Is there a way to not turn that 'off', as such but to turn it 'down'? Not a problem if there is no way to reduce mip-mapping, more worried about the audio cutting out now. Man, I have learnt a heap by trying to get this thing running! This is almost PERFECT now!

Last edited by _thejordanator_; 13th November 2015 at 04:09 AM.
Old 13th November 2015, 03:52 AM

I know I will be bashed by HatCat for this but use Shunyuan's HLE Audio plugin on XAudio2 mode...

No more Audio stuttering, it never worked any other audio plugin for me as I got stutters or hiccups in all games on PJ64 if I don't use this audio plugin...

Also if you haven't done already uncheck Fixed Audio Timing and Sync using Audio in the Rom Settings. The black line your are seeing is easily fixable with overscanning the final output in the source, that way you can use AntiAliasing if you want...

Last edited by Marcelo_20xx; 13th November 2015 at 03:57 AM.
Old 13th November 2015, 09:08 AM

Thank you Marcelo 20xx, I have made those changes and now have no audio issue - works like a charm.

There is only one more thing (I think): I am getting screen tearing but cant seem to find a vertical sync within the plugin options. Is V-Sync possible in this situation?

Also, out of interest, how do you overscan the final output in the source?

Last edited by _thejordanator_; 13th November 2015 at 09:15 AM.
Old 13th November 2015, 05:57 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcelo_20xx View Post
I know I will be bashed by HatCat for this but use Shunyuan's HLE Audio plugin on XAudio2 mode...
Lol.. Shunyuan's has some serious delay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcelo_20xx View Post
No more Audio stuttering, it never worked any other audio plugin for me as I got stutters or hiccups in all games on PJ64 if I don't use this audio plugin...
I don't belief. I get crackling in many games like Super Smash Bros with Shunyuan's. The only good thing about his, aside from being decent in select few games compared to the others, is that it handles slowdowns better. That's about it. Maybe you should use a faster video plugin.

Out of curiosity, are you using LLE or HLE audio, for Shunyuan's?
Old 13th November 2015, 07:06 PM

The plugin's option for V-sync is usable only if you have a Voodoo graphics card which I highly doubt, instead enable it on your graphics control panel...

Bear in mind that at least on my side Glide64Final and all its derivatives has problems with Windows 7 and above because something called Desktop Compositing which mess the way the plugin handles the vsync. Long story short is that it causes dropped frames here and there every once in a while although the emu will report that is displaying constant 60FPS...

The only known solution is to use it under Windows XP because it was the latest OS which didn't have the Desktop Compositing Manager or use the new GlideN64 which is fully compatible with newer OSes, sadly I didn't test it too much because my rig is somewhat ancient and I suffer from micro stuttering with this plugin which is a resource hog...

The overscanning can be done by tweaking the _Changesize () function of the Main.cpp in the source code and then compile it with the desired changes, I can do it for you if you want it, just tell me how many pixels you want to be cropped at the top and the bottom...

@RPGMaster
I never had problems with Shunyuan's Audio plugin, it doesn't stutter and the delay is configurable inside the Lua script, it works well for all the games I tested it so far, mainly first party Big N titles, Rare ware games (Banjo Kazooie, Tooie, CBFD) and the Konami's Castlevanias which sums the good games of the N64 library...

Interestingly I didn't tested it with Super Smash Bros as I never liked this game, also I didn't test it with the known problematic Musyx games and the other hard to emulate ones...

I use it in LLE mode as I know his HLE is a copy of HatCat's LLE RSP code...

Last edited by Marcelo_20xx; 13th November 2015 at 07:11 PM.