Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v2.x - Issues

Old 16th January 2016, 02:14 PM

Angry Donkey Kong 64 graphical glitches still not fixed?

I am very surprised the issues in Donkey Kong 64 are still not fixed (and the worst is that everyone knows what I'm talking about).

Will those graphical errors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaXqWUyUskI
ever be fixed? Maybe even in the next release?

And yeah, everyone says "The problem lies in the core, the problem lies in the core." I don't need to know that. I can't fix it. But I hope there are people here who can, whether the problem lies in the core or not.

Please fix those issues, so we finally can play Donkey Kong 64 on Project 64!
Old 24th January 2016, 01:45 PM

Have you used a different graphics plugin?
Old 27th January 2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorHerobrine View Post
Have you used a different graphics plugin?
Doesn't work. The problem lies in the core, like everyone likes to say.
Those everyones know the problem, but can't fix it.
Old 27th January 2016, 06:43 PM

There isn't an easy fix as you might think, yes we all know the problem lies in the core and as such is a VERY difficult one because it demands a MAJOR rewrite of the code that no one wants to do because messing with the timings is a job only Zilmar can do without breaking the entire thing...

Worst case scenario DK64 is one of those games that needs cycle accurate timing and even if there is an emu that can do such thing it will require a PC from 20 years into the future...

Last edited by Marcelo_20xx; 27th January 2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old 27th January 2016, 08:11 PM
Project Supporter

Why can't you fix it? If you care so much about this game it would be a much better investment of your time figuring out what you have to do to get it fixed and do all of us a favor, instead of flaming the people you want to work on stuff on.

If you don't care enough to fix it yourself, why are you demanding other people to work on it? No one here knows innately about how this works, there's years of research, assumptions and trial-and-error involved in making an emulator and sometimes that extends to getting single games working because they have requirements other games seldom reach.

All snide remarks aside, DK64 has very tight requirements on correct timing, fixing of which is a delicate process and as has been mentioned would likely exponentially increase demands on resources a trade off many here aren't ready/willing to do (aside from the huge undertaking that it would be) if 80% of the other games work fine

Last edited by V1del; 27th January 2016 at 08:15 PM.
Old 27th January 2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1del View Post
Why can't you fix it? If you care so much about this game it would be a much better investment of your time figuring out what you have to do to get it fixed and do all of us a favor, instead of flaming the people you want to work on stuff on.

If you don't care enough to fix it yourself, why are you demanding other people to work on it? No one here knows innately about how this works, there's years of research, assumptions and trial-and-error involved in making an emulator and sometimes that extends to getting single games working because they have requirements other games seldom reach.
Because I don't want to spend my free time in order to achieve such fantastical technical feats. I cannot do it, and I'm wondering why nobody can. I'm not flaming anyone, just asking for clarification. I am not forcing anyone, either. You should understand most people can't find a clear answer in 'the problem lies in the core'. Maybe it is clear enough for people who are working on emulators for years, but not for people who just want to play a game. Remember the forums are mostly for people of the second category. They have questions, the developers have not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcelo_20xx View Post
There isn't an easy fix as you might think, yes we all know the problem lies in the core and as such is a VERY difficult one because it demands a MAJOR rewrite of the code that no one wants to do because messing with the timings is a job only Zilmar can do without breaking the entire thing...

Worst case scenario DK64 is one of those games that needs cycle accurate timing and even if there is an emu that can do such thing it will require a PC from 20 years into the future...
Ah, thanks for explaining! If it is that hard to change, then I'll lay the issue to rest.

Last edited by thirteen1355; 27th January 2016 at 09:56 PM.
Old 27th January 2016, 10:56 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirteen1355 View Post
Because I don't want to spend my free time in order to achieve such fantastical technical feats. I cannot do it, and I'm wondering why nobody can.
What makes you think somebody else will want to spend their free time in order to achieve such fantastical technical feats? Because I don't wonder why it hasn't been fixed .
Old 28th January 2016, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
What makes you think somebody else will want to spend their free time in order to achieve such fantastical technical feats? Because I don't wonder why it hasn't been fixed .
Well, if it all worked like that, this emulator wouldn't even exist.
Do you think developing this emulator didn't cost lots of time? People spent lots of time to bring this emulator about. And they didn't always WANT to go on.

EDIT: Wait, I did never say I thought people wanted to spend their time on this. I didn't even know why the issues aren't fixed, that's why this thread exists in the first place.

Last edited by thirteen1355; 28th January 2016 at 12:56 AM.
Old 21st March 2016, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcelo_20xx View Post
20 years in the future? This game runs perfectly on a console from 20 years in the past, you know. It's a shame some of these graphical glitches still haven't been fixed after all this time.

Tags
core, donkey kong 64, graphic issue