Old 5th April 2015, 07:43 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver2015 View Post
Hi friends!

Pls, is not "VI/s counter" stable. This is the case some games and runs very slow: "VI/s 20" or "VI/s 35" ...
to change much from "VI/s" to "VI/s" (?)

However, Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros, Rayman 2... are going well, perfect "VI/s 60" (stably).
But I cannot say the same about other games.

I would appreciate some clarification or any help.

Kind regards.
Can't help you, until you mention the games where you are having issues..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank74 View Post
In-game, select Use Software Rendering, look at light coronas, and then switch off Use Software Rendering. The light coronas stay in HLE after selecting Software Rendering first. So Jabo's can do the coronas, with some option hacking.
Wow that's interesting.
Quote:
(d) Incomplete RDB, what games need the Jabo DSound sync setting? I currently use Azimer's 0.60 WIP2 with Dynamic Audio Sync enabled in the plugin. Sync game to audio off in PJ64. Audio HLE on.

I've edited Azimer 0.60 with Dynamic Audio Sync enabled by default. Here is my edited version. Good for GoldenEye.
Doesn't that setting cause the VI/s to drop though? At least for me it did in Goldeneye. I'd rather just use a different plugin . I'm pretty sure Azimer's 0.56 WIP 2 worked good for Goldeneye (i use LLE for audio though). Is there a particular part of goldeneye where there's a lot of crackling? Because I usually just test the intro and part of the first level. I don't really play Goldeneye much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevbe2403 View Post
a) Several plugins are missing out of the box e.g. Jabo's DirectInput plugin, D3D6 Graphics plugin (1.5.2), the No Sound plugin, zilmar's audio, and the (outdated) RSP emulation plugin, possibly more. Is there a reason for excluding these? It's simple enough to copy them from a 1.6 install, so no prob.
Because people have the mentality that less plugins = better. Obviously if you play a variety of games, chances are, you'll need more plugins in order to get the best experience.
Quote:
d) There's a lot of cracking in the audio in the games I've tested so far (just the Zelda titles) and with all the different audio plugins. I enabled the Sync game to audio option in Jabo's DSound and it has gone away (so far). I am using the (E) version for playing with a texture pack and am getting a steady 50 VI/second, so no performance hit to speak of. How come this option is disabled on games that experience this issue? Am I correct in assuming it is because it degrades performance in some cases? Is there a patch or something to enable it for the affected games versus doing so manually?
Patching the emulator wouldn't even make sense. It just reads from a config file which you can edit and choose whatever settings you like. As for why it's not on by default, it's because it's not perfect. Some of it depends on your hardware, but there are games that cannot run at 60 VI/s with the setting on. Quest64 is a good example. Generally though, if a game cannot run 60 VI/s because of audio sync being enabled, then you're using the wrong plugin .
Old 5th April 2015, 09:16 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
Doesn't that setting cause the VI/s to drop though? At least for me it did in Goldeneye. I'd rather just use a different plugin . I'm pretty sure Azimer's 0.56 WIP 2 worked good for Goldeneye (i use LLE for audio though). Is there a particular part of goldeneye where there's a lot of crackling? Because I usually just test the intro and part of the first level. I don't really play Goldeneye much.
The only stutter is when bond first walks on in the intro. Maybe because in the (U) version, bond walks on too fast. In the (E) version, there are no stutters at all, bond walks much slower. Another difference is the (E) version music is higher pitched for some reason.

With Jabo, I get constant gaps in the audio.
Old 5th April 2015, 09:36 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevbe2403
a) Several plugins are missing out of the box e.g. Jabo's DirectInput plugin, D3D6 Graphics plugin (1.5.2), the No Sound plugin, zilmar's audio, and the (outdated) RSP emulation plugin, possibly more. Is there a reason for excluding these? It's simple enough to copy them from a 1.6 install, so no prob.
It just gets compiled for the release, but to compile the release requires having the source to it which was not available for the older plugins which were closed-source. So it doesn't come with those other plugins.
Old 5th April 2015, 09:37 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
The only stutter is when bond first walks on in the intro. Maybe because in the (U) version, bond walks on too fast. In the (E) version, there are no stutters at all, bond walks much slower. Another difference is the (E) version music is higher pitched for some reason.

With Jabo, I get constant gaps in the audio.
Now that you mention it, I notice that stuttering now. I think it's related to the video plugin because when I use dummy video in 1964, it never happens. Dummy video doesn't seem to work in PJ64 2.2, because it doesn't appear in my plugin list ;/ .

For me Azimer's 0.56 WIP2 seems good for Goldeneye. Have you tried that version? If so, how was it for you?
Old 5th April 2015, 10:17 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
For me Azimer's 0.56 WIP2 seems good for Goldeneye. Have you tried that version? If so, how was it for you?
Slight delay in audio with Azimer's 0.56 LLE, compared to Azimer's 0.60 HLE. 0.60 HLE feels better when playing. More responsive.

I have Counter Factor set to 1, and Sync using audio off.
Old 5th April 2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
The plugins are missing because they're outdated, incompatible, or not properly portable. Portability is why 1.7 Jabo plugins are used instead of 1.6.1, despite 1.6.1 being newer. Jabo's input is redundant and lacks features. Using old RSP files is pointless. No sound is useful only for debugging. Zilmar's audio is (mostly) redundant. Plugin bloat is bad, IMO.

Quote:
d) There's a lot of cracking in the audio in the games I've tested so far (just the Zelda titles) and with all the different audio plugins. I enabled the Sync game to audio option in Jabo's DSound and it has gone away (so far). I am using the (E) version for playing with a texture pack and am getting a steady 50 VI/second, so no performance hit to speak of. How come this option is disabled on games that experience this issue? Am I correct in assuming it is because it degrades performance in some cases? Is there a patch or something to enable it for the affected games versus doing so manually?
Jabo's Sync setting indeed cures a number of games. It also causes problems in other games. But I intend to enabled it by default for all games that benefit.
Old 5th April 2015, 11:02 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

There is no change in portability as the plugins still use DirectX and are closed-source. The 1.7 plugins are different from 1.6.1 chiefly in that 1.7 had some of Jabo's concessions to the newer plugin specifications, which were for Project64-centric maintenance of code and not portability. If anything, the newer plugin specs impact portability to be worse, not better.

Up until now the only reason that's been cited officially is because he wants to supply open-source plugins that he can control.
Old 5th April 2015, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatCat View Post
There is no change in portability as the plugins still use DirectX and are closed-source. The 1.7 plugins are different from 1.6.1 chiefly in that 1.7 had some of Jabo's concessions to the newer plugin specifications, which were for Project64-centric maintenance of code and not portability. If anything, the newer plugin specs impact portability to be worse, not better.

Up until now the only reason that's been cited officially is because he wants to supply open-source plugins that he can control.
Wrong word. I meant the 1.7 plugins apparently work better with PJ64's current model of using a centralised ini file for configuration. I could be wrong, though. My brain is fuzzy.
Old 5th April 2015, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Can't help you, until you mention the games where you are having issues..
First of all, many thanks for replying, RPGMaster

Please note, the games is: "Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon" and "Paper Mario" (in the latter game ...some scenes, it is slow).

Pls, perhaps you could let me know a solution.

Many thanks in advance!
Old 6th April 2015, 12:31 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Well hey at least someone realizes it.

Had this one person connect once and brag about some "portable" IRC client he was using. It was non-portable (+ closed-source) in every sense of the term, yet he persisted it was portable because it came from an archive instead of an EXE installer (therefore most likely also used INI files instead of the registry) and that anyone else's definition of portability was just too philosophical or code-wise religion to him.

But anyway yeah with PJ64 it has to do with letting PJ64 control the config system instead of having the plugin do it. The upside to this is PJ64 could quickly change to use either the registry, INI files, or a single Project64 config file for all of the settings from all of the plugins using the Project64 core to go through the settings. The downside is it's less portable, because this complicates the plugin specifications with unnecessary criteria to emulation which may or may not fit in on other operating systems. So from Mupen64Plus' and zilmar's POV it's more maintainable and/or portable to have all config go through the core and not within each plugin; ultimately though it's actually less portable and also more complicated. Besides, since each plugin setting is really only specific to one exact plugin and not multiple ones, it would confuse more than help those who are more familiar with the exact plugin used across multiple emulators, than they are with one exact emulator using the plugin.

Last edited by zilmar; 6th April 2015 at 04:43 AM.