Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v1.6

Old 11th April 2009, 03:37 PM

Got the same problem here, Turok level 3 freezes up. Tried on a few different PCs but still the same.
Old 11th April 2009, 07:27 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Can you upload a save state so either me or squall can verify the settings? If the prediction was known an update to the RDB file could be made for an immediate download, but neither of us have time on hand to navigate this game.
Old 12th April 2009, 05:49 PM

If no-one beats me to it, I'll try to get a Turok save state uploaded.
Old 12th April 2009, 06:51 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Thanks for the time!

If someone can get a save for us please answer again.
Old 13th April 2009, 09:02 AM

Current Save State for Slot 3: http://drop.io/turoksave3 [This is the one where the game has frozen.]

Current Save State for Slot 2: http://drop.io/turoksave2 [This is the save state about 5 minutes playtime before the freeze.]
Old 13th April 2009, 11:57 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

The first save state you uploaded is perfect.

I have noticed that the counter factor modifier does actually help delay or instantiate the hang in memory, but the only consistent configuration seems to use the interpreter.
No RSP configurations or other factors not disregarded by the main memory interpreter's use (like TLB, memory size, anything else) seem to affect this.

Choose "Settings..." from the menu "Options".
Make sure advanced settings are not hidden (from tab "Options").

If this is applied then right-click the Turok game, and choose option "Edit Game Settings". Set the option "CPU core style" to "Interpreter".

This is as far as the configurations for the public versions go. I will look into some of the new options and the automatic core in the beta emulator shortly and notify if I find anything else new.

The save state given here is rather valuable. This, the save state e-mailed to me about the Perfect Dark inevitable hang (even with the interpreter), and the similarly inevitable crash in loading the "City of Walkways I" level in TWINE 007 are a strong collection. I'm going to nag around a bit in the alpha testing group to see if some one cares.

--Update
This specific case was internally fixed in beta development, so donating would be an alternative preserving the speed lost in interpretation. The other two remain absolute.

Last edited by HatCat; 14th April 2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old 14th April 2009, 11:46 AM

is Level 4 is playable in v1.7? If you open all the portals with the cheats and walk through the Level 4 portal as mentioned earlier in this thread it's just a white screen with noise. (also happens if you play the game properly.)
Old 14th April 2009, 09:21 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I either need instructions to access level 4 or another save state, but for now the interpreter setting covers the crash problem you sent.
It even helps some effects of cheat risks, but using cheats is always risky. If the later issue you specified still happens without cheats, please send me instructions or an appropriate save, and I will test this also.

Thanks again.
Old 27th July 2010, 03:34 AM

Post Saved Game files

I don't know if this thread is still active but i would reply to rswedlow ask about a proper save for test. As you can see, the file "Turok In-Game Save" is the file used by the Memory pak of the N64 system, and the other "Turok - Dinosaur Hunter (U) (V1.0).pj" is the emulator restore point, both are just in the point of the entrance to Level 4 - The Ruins. I got here without any cheats or codes. You just have to go trough the portal, but beyond that the screen will go blank and the sound still can be heared. Of course i changed the option of "Interpreter" at the CPU Core Style, and i went through Level 3 just fine (none crashes).
Attached Files
File Type: zip Turok - Dinosaur Hunter (U) (V1.0).pj.zip (1.27 MB, 1 views)
File Type: zip Turok In-Game Save.zip (3.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 27th July 2010, 04:16 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Got the saves archived just in case.

Yeah this game needs the interpreter with Project64.
With 1964 there is a more secure re-compiler setting, but I don't know anyone who's tested the game through on 1964. However it's more secure than memory protection on Project64.