Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v1.6

Old 15th November 2010, 04:14 AM

Default Can't Load Textures Using Rice 6.1.3

I'm pretty sure Squall will end up here bashing Rice like he always do, but I have a problem.

I've been trying to fix this for the past six hours with no success. I was trying to load a texture pack using Mudlord's Rice Video 6.1.3DX9, but it crashed right after the textures were done loading. Tried Glide Napalm WX and it worked fine.

Thing is, I'm also trying to load a couple of shaders, and those are only supported by Rice Video 6.1.3DX9.

The shaders are loading fine, but the textures aren't. Tried PJ64 1.6, 1.7.46, 1.7.49, 1.7.55, 1964 and even Mupen64, tried installing the DX redist. from June '08/2010, tried older versions of Rice's and Mudlord's plugins, tried 1964Video and Aristoteles' Rice Video, tried to patch all of them, but no luck.

I've even tried to load the shaders using Boris' ENBSeries, but no luck. I'm running Windows 7 X86. In theory, Mudlord's patch should patch any .EXE/.DLL using DX9, is there a DX9 plugin other than Mudlord's that also loads textures?

Last edited by helltoast; 15th November 2010 at 04:19 AM.
Old 15th November 2010, 09:25 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Mudlords Rice Video is unsupported. Rice Video Dx9 is unsupported.

crashing after a texture pack finishes loading is usually caused by the texture pack being too big for the address space provided to pj64

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Old 15th November 2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squall_Leonhart View Post
Mudlords Rice Video is unsupported. Rice Video Dx9 is unsupported.

crashing after a texture pack finishes loading is usually caused by the texture pack being too big for the address space provided to pj64
Thanks for the information, it helped a lot. Turns out it doesn't crash right after the textures are done loading, it crashes whenever one of them shows in-game.

For example, I tried to load OOT's logo, a single letter "A" in the hires_texture folder, and everything went fine, until I pressed start, then it crashed. Any idea how to fix this? Or even how to load both textures packs and shaders? Thanks again.
Old 15th November 2010, 10:17 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

The way I understand it, the total number of pixels being changed through the use of replacement textures exceeds 2^16 or something or whatever exponent implies the 2 GB addressing limitation used by most programs. If there are more pixels than this, then there's an address overflow exception or something or other...lol haven't looked at x86 stuff yet.

And squall that's a kind of subjective point don't ye think? :P Jabo's Direct3D is also unsupported over at um idk this one forum that talks about rainbows? Hence it's unsupported period, in the same way those plugins are unsupported by you.
Old 15th November 2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswedlow View Post
The way I understand it, the total number of pixels being changed through the use of replacement textures exceeds 2^16 or something or whatever exponent implies the 2 GB addressing limitation used by most programs. If there are more pixels than this, then there's an address overflow exception or something or other...lol haven't looked at x86 stuff yet.

And squall that's a kind of subjective point don't ye think? :P Jabo's Direct3D is also unsupported over at um idk this one forum that talks about rainbows? Hence it's unsupported period, in the same way those plugins are unsupported by you.
In that case, Glide Napalm WX would crash too, right? I was trying to load Djipi's cel-shaded pack, and it worked perfectly using Glide, but not Rice.

Anyway, is there any other DX9 plugin that can be patched using Mudlord's patch?
Old 16th November 2010, 02:41 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I don't know anything about mudlord's patch, mudlord's DX9 version of the plugin, mudlord's filter and shader implementations, and any real improvements mudlord made to Rice's plugin.

Glide64 is much better with loading textures into memory and has utilities for optimizing texture paks. Some textures dumped by some versions of Rice's Video Plugin aren't dumped or detected by mudlord's versions or Glide64, so there were probably simply less textures being loaded by a large multiple.
Old 16th November 2010, 03:38 AM

Mudlord's patch added the possibility to load shaders similar to Boris' ENBSeries, they are programmed in C++ and loaded through a modified Rice Video 6.1.3DX9, and d4rk.dll.

The patch says it's possible to add the same "fix" to game's .EXE's and .DLL's, but only if they use DX9. Sure, this is just in theory since I haven't tested it myself, nor have came across someone who did. That's why I'm asking if there's any plugin programmed under DX9 that can loads textures.
Old 18th November 2010, 01:34 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

The only other graphics plugin for N64 that uses DirectX 9 is Direct64. Orkin put hi-res texture replacement on his to-do list, but he vanished from the scene not so many months after his latest release of the plugin.

So that would be the other D3D9 plugin, just without retexture support.
Old 18th November 2010, 10:53 PM

I see... So, there is no way to fix this?
Old 20th November 2010, 09:40 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

If only mudlord's D3D9 modification is applicable then that plugin must be used, but the crashing doesn't happen internally with the plugin. The emulator itself needs larger addressing numerability to account for a higher degree of texture replacement.

The reason Glide64 loaded was probably because some textures were only to be loaded by the RiceVideo system.

You can either seek a patch for Project64 "large address aware" which squall knows about, or you can delete textures that you don't use from the pak to prevent crashing.