Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v1.6

Old 26th April 2011, 03:29 AM

Default Using USB-converted xbox classic controller?

I just got Project64 1.6, converted the plug on an old Pelican xbox classic controller to USB, and installed the driver for it so Windows recognizes it as a controller.

Is it possible to get it to work with Project64? It doesn't seem to recognize the controller at all at this point, and I'm pretty sure I tried all three controller plugins. I'd really like for this to work because trying to use the keyboard to emulate n64 controls is completely ruining the fun for me.
Old 26th April 2011, 03:31 AM

Looks like I may have fixed it. Under the Modifiers tab in the plugin options, I had to choose my gamepad which I didn't notice before. Yay!
Old 26th April 2011, 05:19 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Hm, so you used one of the modifier controls to get it working with N-Rage.

Well in case this applies automatic support for most devices is incremented simply by using the up-to-date 2.2 beta version of the plugin. Whatever works of course.
Old 26th April 2011, 02:47 PM

I actually had to change the drop-down menu option to "XBCD XBox Gamepad" in the Devices tab of Controller 1. I mistakenly thought it was the Modifiers tab.

It's still a bit too hard to play games like this, so I may just grab an N64 controller and one of those N64/PS2-to-PC adapters.
Old 26th April 2011, 03:26 PM
Project Supporter

Xbox 360 controllers work like a charm as well.
Old 26th April 2011, 03:57 PM

I'm just having problems getting the xbox classic controller set up properly. When I applied all the "hotkeys" in the plugin configuration and booted up 007, this is what I had in-game...

DPAD Up = Look Down
DPAD Left = Strafe Left
DPAD Right = Strafe Right
DPAD Down = Look Up

Analog Up = Walk forward
Analog Left = Look Left
Analog Right = Look Right
Analog Down = Walk backward

Needless to say, it was an instant-migraine trying to play like this. I swapped the Left/Right controls to have the DPAD do walking/strafing and Analog do all the looking...but then I had trouble playing other games. Eventually gave up playing altogether because it was too much of a hassle.

Last edited by johnnydotexe; 26th April 2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 26th April 2011, 04:24 PM
Project Supporter

XBox original controllers had a crappy design from the beginning. I suggest getting a wired 360 controller, or getting a N64 controller, which can sometimes be a hassle to work. You could also set up the mouse to work with it and play it like any other PC FPS, but I've never fully figured out how to set up the mouse, so you'd hafta wait for Squall or Iconoclast to get on for an explanation.
Old 26th April 2011, 10:28 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydotexe View Post
I'm just having problems getting the xbox classic controller set up properly. When I applied all the "hotkeys" in the plugin configuration and booted up 007, this is what I had in-game...

DPAD Up = Look Down
DPAD Left = Strafe Left
DPAD Right = Strafe Right
DPAD Down = Look Up

Analog Up = Walk forward
Analog Left = Look Left
Analog Right = Look Right
Analog Down = Walk backward

Needless to say, it was an instant-migraine trying to play like this. I swapped the Left/Right controls to have the DPAD do walking/strafing and Analog do all the looking...but then I had trouble playing other games. Eventually gave up playing altogether because it was too much of a hassle.
Which, if you were to take the tater tot's suggestion of getting an X360 controller instead, would ultimately result in the same controls. :/

Except you'd have two "thumbsticks" instead of only one to work with.
Old 26th April 2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
Which, if you were to take the tater tot's suggestion of getting an X360 controller instead, would ultimately result in the same controls. :/

Except you'd have two "thumbsticks" instead of only one to work with.
I have two thumbsticks to work with on this old pelican blade controller. I think I now have the controls set up in such a way that it's actually comfortable to play now.
Old 27th April 2011, 03:48 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Only device I hadn't eventually found a configuration to play most games easily with is the mouse. Then again I haven't tested all that many.

Honestly I forgot that an Xbox controller has two sticks anyway. My brother has it out in the living room these days, and I haven't looked much at the controllers since.