Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v2.x - Issues

Old 25th December 2014, 05:03 PM

Default Donkey Kong 64 is broken!

Hello! I'm very confused, because my Donkey Kong 64 Rom seems to be broken. I can't play the game anymore, because of some strange issues. After the Intro with the DK-Rap there comes the Screen with Donkey Kong. He's walking completly out of the picture through the wall. And when I'm starting a File there goes nothing! Donkey Kong is walking automaticly into a blue screen with the DK-Isles in the background and then comes the loadingscreen and this is to ne repeated every time again and again! What's that supposed to mean?
I've never got this problem before! It happened a few days ago and it's the only game that seems to be broken.

I'm using Project 64 2.1 with Windows 7.
Videoplugin is Glide64 for PJ64 2.0.0.1
Audioplugin is Jabo's DirectSound 1.7.0.7
In the rom-settings the memory size is 8MB and
the default Savetype is 16kbit EEPROM.
It's the PAL-Rom with German Language settings.

I've also recorded this strange issue with FRAPS and put it on Youtube,
so that you guys can take a look for yourself. Does anyone have a solution for this?

Since I'm completly new to this forum, I can't post complete Links right now.
Please copy the following link when you're on Youtube. Thanks!

youtube.com/watch?v=Xa_WCkEYKHw
Old 25th December 2014, 05:08 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

make sure you have all plugins up to date and make sure your drivers are up to date
Old 25th December 2014, 06:29 PM

I'm pretty sure, that I'm using the latest versions of the plugins and also my drivers. I have tried other roms like Banjo Tooie which works completly fine.
It's only this one game that has this issue. I've tried many differnt settings, but nothing seems to work either.
Old 1st January 2015, 10:55 AM

Now I'm really confused! I've tried so many different settings and nothing seems to work! But when I tried Donkey Kong 64 with Project 64 1.6 everything is totally fine. So it must be the emulator itself. With 2.1 there's only one bug after another and the whole game is broken. I've tried to change the videoplugin from Glide64 to Jabo's Direct3D8 but that didn't changed a thing. So if it isn't the videoplugin, it really has to be the emulator itself!

I mean, why does this game works with an older version of Project 64 and with the newer version it doesn't? Seems pretty strange to me! I can play the game with version 1.6 but I get some graphic-bugs. That's the reason why I wanted to try version 2.1 because it has the Glide64-Plugin which has a lot more options and settings. But this plugin can't be used with the older versions of Project 64.

In the end I can play this game with some nasty graphic-bugs, but it's sad that it won't work with version 2.1 whatever I tried to do.
Old 1st January 2015, 02:25 PM
Project Supporter

This looks like a CF issue to me, can you check what value is there when you start the game and then click on the name of the game in the settings under "Counter Factor"? it should be 2 (if it is 2 and is happening, try setting that to 1)

Your jumping to some weird conclusions on what may or may not be the cause of this bug, software is software and 2.1 has many improvements over 1.6 but its hard to have a completely regression free release some things work better in 2.1 than 1.6 and vice versa (e.g. Kirby 64 has a bug in 1.6 which doesn't update your HUD elements so you don't see your current power or health, regardless of video plugin)

That said if you want to stick with 1.6, there is the official glide64 release you can use Glide64 Final
Old 1st January 2015, 10:07 PM

The Counter Factor was already set at 1 by default. What does this Counter Factor thing do anyways?

I can post all the other information if that's of any help:

Memory Size: 8MB
Default Save-Type: 16kbit EEPROM
Counter Factor: 1
Vi Refresh Rate: 2200
AI Count per Byte: 500
32 Bit Engine: checked
Use TLB: checked
Fixed Audio Timing: unchecked
Sync Using Audio: unchecked
Delay DP Interrupt: checked
Delay SI Interrupt: unchecked
RSP Audio Signal: unchecked
CPU Core Style: Recompiler
Function lookup method: Physical Lookup Table
Register caching: checked
Advanced Block Linking: checked
Fast SP: checked
Cache: checked
PI DMA: checked
TLB Unmapping: checked
Start Changed: checked
Protect Memory: checked
Old 2nd January 2015, 01:07 AM
Project Supporter

Then do the reverse set it to 2, it's an accuracy setting which averages how many cycles should be run per instruction and as PJ64 isn't cycle accurate its pretty much guesswork depending on the game and also has some more noticable effects on some games than others.

Also neither 23bit engine or protect memory are needed although i don't know if they have any adverse effects so may be better to turn them off

Last edited by V1del; 2nd January 2015 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10th January 2015, 11:54 PM

I can't believe it, but that actually worked! I've set the Counter Factor at 2 and now the Issue is gone! The game is now playable, but I still got some nasty graphic-bugs. What can I do to prevent this?

directupload.net/file/d/3864/tqlztbsn_png.htm
Old 11th January 2015, 01:17 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Maybe setting CF to 3 is better for Donkey Kong 64.
Old 11th January 2015, 01:32 PM
Project Supporter

Afaik the graphics flickers on characters and such can't be fixed by simply flipping some switch, that's something in the core. Yeah theoretically you can try all the counter factors from 1 to 3 and look what kind of effects they have on games usually whatever is set as default should work for most cases, but yeah, ultimately it's a hack and whatever value is to be set is a guesstimate which can only really be fixed with more accurate emulation