Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v2.x - Issues

Old 27th January 2015, 04:29 PM

Exclamation Am I able to play N64 games with my keyboard?

I don't have a N64 controller. I want to play with my keyboard. I viewed other forums, but they didn't really help me. When I go to "settings" I go to choose a keyboard plugin, but there isn't one. They have "Adaptoids Plugin" , "Jabos DirectInput" , "N-rages DirectInput" There is nothing about a keyboard input. By the way, I have version 1.6
Old 27th January 2015, 04:46 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

It is not a seperate plugin,there is a droplist in each plugin's settings with keyboard as the choice,if I remember correctly.

Both Jabo and Nrage work fine for keyboard input as is.
If you play DK64,I reccommend Jabo's because it has better analog capabilities with the keyboard which allows you to do the double jump slide glitch.

Just choose either one and map your keys.

I have become quite skilled with playing them using keyboard controls.
Old 27th January 2015, 04:55 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I prefer Jabo's DirectInput for using my keyboard. N-Rage has some weird focus handling that causes key strokes I do with other applications active to be sent to the emulator (well 2.3 does anyway, maybe not older versions), and I typically have many reasons to keep emulation unpaused while Project64 window is not out in front.

No special configuration necessary to set up keyboard controls in either plugin... you just click some buttons for N64 controller buttons and press a key on your keyboard to set them. You could also use a plugin with hard-coded keyboard configuration so that you don't have to go through that, like the basic keyboard plugin.
Old 27th January 2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroben View Post
it is not a seperate plugin,there is a droplist in each plugin's settings with keyboard as the choice,if i remember correctly.

Both jabo and nrage work fine for keyboard input as is.
If you play dk64,i reccommend jabo's because it has better analog capabilities with the keyboard which allows you to do the double jump slide glitch.

Just choose either one and map your keys.

I have become quite skilled with playing them using keyboard controls.
nevermind! I got it! I read other forums (which i shouldve done first) but yay :d

Last edited by alexwarfield; 27th January 2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 7th February 2015, 10:09 AM

Hmm i am not sure, but it seems it works with Pokémon Stadium 2 ...
I am using Gold version..

Am i just plain stupid here? I can only use Pokémon red, blue, yellow for Pokémon Stadium 1??
Cause then i really feel stupid and must appoligize for this thread....
Old 9th February 2015, 01:49 PM

Default how to do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwarfield View Post
I don't have a N64 controller. I want to play with my keyboard. I viewed other forums, but they didn't really help me. When I go to "settings" I go to choose a keyboard plugin, but there isn't one. They have "Adaptoids Plugin" , "Jabos DirectInput" , "N-rages DirectInput" There is nothing about a keyboard input. By the way, I have version 1.6
yes you can and actually it quite easy and honestly play better then a controller if you put all buttons to the right place.

i have only tried zelda games tho so i have no idea how other games would work out.

but zelda series itself give you quite some playtime so ^^.

now how do you do it do you ask
(cant post link yet ask for PM or something idk) is for mouse input so you can actually (in case of zelda) use your sword and shield with your mouse.

now for the buttons i have my controls as followed: dpad seems completly useless so i have done nothing with it.

also go get 2.1 1st!

c buttons: up=uparrow down=downarrow and so on very basic

buttons: start=enter A=space B=mousbutton00 Ltrig=F Rtrig=mousebutton01
Ztrig=mousebutton02

analog stick: up=W left=A right=D down=S

basic too me it seems ^^
just toy around and you will find your way it did cost me about 20 mins to figure it out GL and HF!

Tags
help me!, issues