Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v1.6

Old 13th March 2014, 07:44 PM

Default Can someone answer my Questions? I am new

So I got an alienware laptop, much faster and more efficient than my xps desktop. I thought I would download the old emulators again and see if they have gotten any better since the past decade. Like maybe some filters that clean up edges and make games look better. Maybe some of the games I couldn't get to play would run better now. I even ordered an n64 controller with usb attachment. Worked great, but man I was still disappointed.

1. Is there anything I can do to make games look better, run fast, play smooth? I mean a high end pc game runs better than this.
2. Why in the past 10 years do some games still glitch, freeze, and mess up?
3. How come textures don't work? That or it's not simple to figure out. Most need something called rice plugin. Isn't it outdated? Why can't pj64 just come with that? Where do you put the textures?
4. Would someone be willing to upload their own pj64 emulator with plugins and skins and everything all nicely zipped up? That or proper links and tutorials which take time to hunt.

It's either this or time that I just buy back everything I sold on ebay :/
Old 13th March 2014, 11:13 PM
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayv0 View Post
1. Is there anything I can do to make games look better, run fast, play smooth? I mean a high end pc game runs better than this.
Use Glide64 Final and play with the texture enhancment filters, don't compare pc games with emulation, they are completely different things.

Quote:
2. Why in the past 10 years do some games still glitch, freeze, and mess up?
Emulators, or any code for that matter, don't write themselves, they need people investing time into it. Seeing as you posted this in the 1.6 forum you are still using the same 10 year old code, why do you think anything changes just from you having a new pc?
That being said, N64 development was somewhat in a hiatus and only in the past few years (2012 - 2013) has picked up some new pace with the new PJ64 release some new plugins a whole new emulator (which won't fit into your requirements right now) being under development

Quote:
3. How come textures don't work? That or it's not simple to figure out. Most need something called rice plugin. Isn't it outdated? Why can't pj64 just come with that? Where do you put the textures?
Use Glide64 Final, read its README on how to set textures up, read the readmes of the texture packs you're trying to use, make sure you have the right ROM version (some packs only work with US or EU etc.)

Quote:
4. Would someone be willing to upload their own pj64 emulator with plugins and skins and everything all nicely zipped up? That or proper links and tutorials which take time to hunt.
Google is your friend.

Sorry that this is not as an extensive answer as you may have liked, but it's somewhat impossible to give information for a perfect setup, it all depends on what you wanna do exactly.

N64 emulation has somewhat historically grown to be a bit all over the place which is a pity but the way it is atm

Also it's fine to not understand all the technicalities and pecularities of how emulation works, but please try not to be dismissive of the hard work people are doing/have done. Rants about how stuff isn't still perfect after A DECADE!!!11elf and why some things still are harder than they could be are not gonna help anyone and are only gonna put off potential answers