Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 9th May 2013, 02:31 PM

Default Am I allowed to release a modified version of PJ64 1.6?

Currently, I've worked a bit on PJ64 1.6. I'm currently working on extending RDRAM to 12MB, which works almost perfectly for SM64 as example. (While the most games use 4MB, you get a freespace of 8MB RDRAM)

Just in case you're going to rage:
Some friends and me done that through soldering two 36MBit chips and use the expansion Pak to reach a max RDRAM size of 12MB. Of course, it's useless, unless you're writing own software. But this isn't the case. (The details aren't really important. But we soldered them onto a rev 5)

This extension is needed for ROM Hacking, in SM64. As you may have heard, SM64 never used the Expansion Pak, so SM64 only haves 4MB RDRAM used. With the help of several emulators, that can emulate another 4MB RDRAM, we've wrote some codes, that used that freespace. Now, currently a lot of people are writing programs, that allow you to "import" own levels, but way, way bigger. By extending the RDRAM with another 4MB, we could actually make this true.

Now, I'm asking:
Am I actually allowed to release the modified PJ64? Of course, I won't sell it for money, it will be freeware. So, am I allowed to release to public as freeware?
Old 9th May 2013, 03:49 PM
Project Supporter

My personal opinion is that you can do whatever you want as long as you release the source and provide credit to the original project, you should also provide a link to the official PJ64 site as part of your readme.

If there really turns out to be some use for this kind of mod, maybe the 12MB expansion will make it into other emulators or the official version as well.
Old 9th May 2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by et500 View Post
My personal opinion is that you can do whatever you want as long as you release the source and provide credit to the original project, you should also provide a link to the official PJ64 site as part of your readme.

If there really turns out to be some use for this kind of mod, maybe the 12MB expansion will make it into other emulators or the official version as well.
Well, the 12MB RDRAM are actually useless, if you use the emulator just to play usual ROMs. The expansion would be actually more interessting to people, that like to play ROM hacks, which uses the unused RDRAM. I've tried it with SM64, it works good currently, for example I loaded (through Level commands, but forgot about that) the unused RAM. Then I spawned objects like goomba, breakable box, etc. via Yoshielectron's Obj Spawn function. The amount of objects was pretty high and the game was still full running without lag. (If I'm sure the game also had a hardcoded limit for objects, too bad) But mainly this RAM Expansion was made for programs, that are allowing more polygons to be imported, and of course for boost up, so more objects can be spawned in the near environment without lag.

Of course, I won't hold back the edited source code, if I'm allowed to release this version public.

But my coding skills are not good enough to make the modification I've done there "official". There are way better people, which can handle with this better than me, who will fix eventual bugs, I didn't notice.
Old 9th May 2013, 10:38 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

On the RCP memory map you could theoretically extend the RDRAM-aware addressing to 32 MB if for whatever reason you wanted to:

0x00000000:0x01FFFFFF

Or slightly past that.

It would work on the Nintendo 64 operating system but not the widely available Nintendo 64 hardware.
Old 10th May 2013, 12:50 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

call it Project64MM(Memory Mod) and go forth.

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Old 10th May 2013, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall_leonhart View Post
call it Project64MM(Memory Mod) and go forth.
That's a really good name. Such a damn. I need hours to get a perfect name, while others just take a couple of secounds. Well, whatever. Thanks for the name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCat View Post
On the RCP memory map you could theoretically extend the RDRAM-aware addressing to 32 MB if for whatever reason you wanted to:

0x00000000:0x01FFFFFF

Or slightly past that.

It would work on the Nintendo 64 operating system but not the widely available Nintendo 64 hardware.
Yes, this a good idea. I will do it. Thanks.

Last edited by Tarek701; 10th May 2013 at 01:48 AM.