Old 31st July 2016, 06:21 AM

Default Portable version

do we have portable version?
Old 2nd August 2016, 05:22 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

It's being ported, so my hunch says yes that it is portable.

There's probably some other made-up, artificial definition of "portable" that some people understand that they can use to answer the question from their own perspective.
Old 2nd August 2016, 08:28 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

A simple definition would be the main executable and all of the folders and files within a compressed zip/rar/7z file which you could then use from any external storage on the computer of your choice for those with more than one to choose from.

Where to get it can't be reached (buildbot) by normal members unfortunately,so the only other way immediately is on the now sketchy EmuCR site since their download links are not as good anymore and maybe there's an emu site that stores all the latest builds as portable instead of the installers in spite of the normally malicious_tool-ridden installer package,which to my understanding,was phased out recently.
Old 3rd August 2016, 03:28 PM

For a portable N64 emulator, I suggest Mupen64Plus. It meets the standards of quality I would have expected from a mobile version of Project64, and I've already played several games on it.
Old 3rd August 2016, 05:10 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

"Mobile" sounds like a much better adjective for the description retroben gave, which to me sounds nothing at all related to portability. It's mobile if you can put it on a USB and run Project64 on another computer due to lack of AppData/registry usage or whatever; it's not portable if the program is designed in non-standard ways that fixate it to a particular processor or operating system.
Old 3rd August 2016, 06:32 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

In reality it is both mobile and portable but not in the idea of platform "port-able" so I am wrong and right at the same time depending on the subject,this case being undetermined as no response from OP,but it also falls in the order of anyone using anything that runs on Windows that you can take with you,laptops,netbooks,and Surface tablet-computers,provided Win10 doesn't ruin it by not letting PJ64 run at all if the user is on that OS version and it decides to not allow things to work.

The Android version is still in waiting but has already been confirmed as running via an Interpreter,not sure about other platforms such as official Mac and Linux ports.
Still curious about footage of the Android port in action despite how slow it may currently be and the lack of commits in 2 weeks.
Old 4th August 2016, 04:31 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Regardless of what OP deems to be the right response, you're wrong. How does lack of dependency on the Windows registry, AppData or anything else create a valid context for "portability"?

Project64 will still copy over to a USB flash drive--just like any other series of files would.

Project64 will still open up on some other Windows machine off the USB--just like any other series of files would.

Project64 will still behave the exact same way on all supported Windows machines--just like any other Windows program would.

The idea that the mechanism for storing and preserving configuration files, like the set language for Project64's menu text to show, based on the Windows registry, AppData, or "portable" local storage that would go onto the USB flash disk installation can create a valid context for "portability" is a rather recent user-land fantasy and seems to have no accuracy behind it.
Old 4th August 2016, 06:35 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

portable
ˈpɔːtəb(ə)l/

adjective: portable

able to be easily carried or moved, especially because being of a lighter and smaller version than usual.
"a portable television"
synonyms: transportable, movable, mobile, transferable, easily carried, easy to carry, conveyable, travelling, travel; More
lightweight, compact, handy, convenient, manageable;
rareportative
Computing
(of software) able to be transferred from one machine or system to another.
"portable versions of IBM's Systems Network Architecture technology"
British
(of a loan or pension) capable of being transferred or adapted in altered circumstances.

noun
noun: portable; plural noun: portables

a small version of something, such as a television, that can be easily carried.

Incidentally, offtopic but in reference to the meaning of words.
Terrorism in my old Oxford English Dictionary means 'Government by intimidation'. The American's later changed its meaning 180 degrees. So its first true meaning was that terrorism was done by the government for political gain under 'false flag' accusations, supported by media propaganda.
Old 5th August 2016, 05:11 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank74 View Post
portable
ˈpɔːtəb(ə)l/

adjective: portable

able to be easily carried or moved, especially because being of a lighter and smaller version than usual.
"a portable television"
This particular context seems rather antonymous with this fallacious Windows registry vs. local configuration files for USB storage definition that end users everywhere are supporting.

I would think that depending on AppData or the registry would reduce the amount of binary storage space required by the USB flash disk to store Project64, making it "a lighter and smaller version than usual" as given in the definition, because whatever settings are saved in the registry would not write to the flash drive, making it smaller and easier to fit onto USB, quite contrary to what retroben cites as portable.

Quote:
Computing
(of software) able to be transferred from one machine or system to another.
"portable versions of IBM's Systems Network Architecture technology"
British
That makes sense; it just sounds un-extended upon.

Being stored onto a removable disk with FAT32--a widely supported file system--could meet that definition. A Windows port of Project64 would, given that context, be "portable" to another computer running Macintosh because it would still recognize the file system of the flash drive and see the files, just not be able to execute anything. (Which I think is too open-ended; maybe this is just another case of the English dictionary not catching up with generational changes to technology and standard use cases.)

Quote:
Incidentally, offtopic but in reference to the meaning of words.
Terrorism in my old Oxford English Dictionary means 'Government by intimidation'. The American's later changed its meaning 180 degrees. So its first true meaning was that terrorism was done by the government for political gain under 'false flag' accusations, supported by media propaganda.
lol didn't know that but it makes sense.

Amerinets Engrish Dictionary, terrorism: when other people from other places do stuff to us
Old 5th August 2016, 06:51 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Default Dat lag doe.

Funnily enough,you CAN run PJ64 on Macintosh if you use Wine!

About your double post,the forum has been lagging more occasionally for me lately too,even though the computer is hardwired to the internet,it still hangs,probably because how crap this computer is now.
I have to open another tab and visit it when waiting for my post to be added when on the computer during my code hunt time just to make it become posted,but that's also because everything on that computer is pretty slow already on top of me using a slower 32bit discontinued Chrome named CoolNovo to avoid excessive CPU usage of updated Chrome versions killing all of my performance nonstop.