Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v2.x - Issues

Old 20th October 2015, 05:14 PM

Lightbulb [Tutorial] How to full screen Jabo_Direct3D8.dll, with Windows 10 x64 Pro

Hey, guys. I've done so much testing & experimenting to get Windows 10 to work with Project64 in full screen.

I have found the solution, but I want to stress that it's not going to be as ideal as Windows 7 was, but hopefully another work around will come to make it work exactly as before.

First of all, your system or emulator is likely to crash for these two reasons:
1) You have your ROM directory open when your application starts.
DO NOT go to file > Choose ROM Directory... Because that's currently a legitimate culprit for BSOD & application crashes. You're going to have to Ctrl+O to open your ROMs, for now.

2) You have any degree of Antialiasing enabled when you full-screen.
If you're going to be running full screen, then turn off AA by going to Options > Configure Graphics Plugin... > Full-Scene Antialiasing Because that will give you a "WindowException" type error; you can, however, leave AA on in windowed-mode. I know that's not convenient, I really like full-screen AA too, but that's what I mean when I said it won't be as convenient as it was on Windows 7, but who knows what future updates will come.

So, what do you do if you've already enabled these settings and can't change them back?
3) Close down Project64 & go to it's installation folder, to delete "Project64.cache3" & "Project64.cfg" (if I've got that wrong, just delete the whole Config folder, because it will rebuild itself anyway). They should be located in a directory like this:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Project64 2.2\Config

I'm not sure about 1.6, but it might be this:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Project64 1.6\Project64.cache

If none of that works, unintsall P64 and just delete the whole P64 directory, then remember never to save the ROM directory in P64, and do not attempt to full-screen with antialiasing on.

If you do decide to just delete the whole installation directory, you might want to backup C:\Program Files (x86)\Project64 2.2\Save & any joystick configuration files you may have saved in that directory (like I have PS2 to N64.cpf & PS2 to N64 Player 2.cpf, for example).

I'll update you all if I find a better solution, I am using virtualization, in my upcoming methods, because I did get Win7Ux64 to work full-screen with antialiasing as a guest OS, but I failed to pass-through the USB joystick. I'm just doing everything I can to find a way to get full-screen & AAx8 on Win10Prox64.

I have tried so many different methods with VMware 12; Windows XP x86 in VMware works pretty well, but there's no Anti-Aliasing, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 didn't always like full screening, just like Windows 10 x64 Pro as a guest OS. But if you do find a virtualization solution for getting the graphics to work, remember that you can connect your joystick to the guest OS via "removable devices". I've also tried switching plugins around on Project64 1.6, but the almighty Jabo_Direct3D8.dll would crash just the same.

But anyway, so far, that's how you full screen in Windows 10 x64 Pro, with no saved ROM directory or antialiasing.

Edit: I thought I might as well show you proof. As you can see, full screen works with no problems and I just have AA disabled.
http://s9.postimg.org/k6k5z6ox9/Proof.png

And here I am running a slightly wider than 16:9 windowed-mode with AAx8.
http://s16.postimg.org/ilb89zbtv/Proof2.png

I hope this helps save some of you hours of research & troubleshooting.

Edit2; Encase any of you find it relevant, here are my system specs:
Quote:
CPU: i7-5820K (12 threads) @ 3.30GHz 15MB Intel® Smart Cache
Motherboard: Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME
RAM: Dominator® Platinum Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4 DRAM 2800MHz C16 Memory Kit
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Water Cooler - Factory Refurbished
Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
PSU: AX1200i
System Drive (C:\): Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD
Storage Drive (D:\): WD Black 2 TB 7200 RPM WD2003FZEX
GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP!

Last edited by Con; 21st October 2015 at 12:15 AM.
Old 20th October 2015, 08:33 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Or just format your HD and install any OS upto Windows 8.1. Windows 10 is a giant malware app. Unless you have the Enterprise version, that allows you to turn off all the spyware and keylogger that sends every keypress you do to a database that's searchable by the authorities (and hackers).

Keyloggers are pure spyware that record every single keypress, including passwords and apps/links opened. Its why I will never ever have windows 10.
Old 21st October 2015, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank74 View Post
Or just format your HD and install any OS upto Windows 8.1. Windows 10 is a giant malware app. Unless you have the Enterprise version, that allows you to turn off all the spyware and keylogger that sends every keypress you do to a database that's searchable by the authorities (and hackers).

Keyloggers are pure spyware that record every single keypress, including passwords and apps/links opened. Its why I will never ever have windows 10.
Microsoft backported the telemetry features to Windows 7 and Windows 8. They can be turned off, but the paranoia over 10 tends to ignore just how many features were already present in previous versions.