Old 22nd March 2018, 08:01 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

To each their own, but unless your going to make a full list of issues then attempt to work through them you are better off playing these games on citra. They are not only better looking but are 30fps by default.
Old 22nd March 2018, 08:14 PM

MM3D makes a large number of changes that I think make the game much worse. The Zora swimming, removing the song of time saving, nerfing bosses, breaking certain sequences and entire mechanics... I'd rather play the original at 20fps than deal with those things, but it would be nice to bring some of those enhancements over to the 64 version if possible.
Old 22nd March 2018, 09:45 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I was unaware of these changes. Probably still easier to hack them back in then make 30-60fps work for N64 though.
Old 23rd March 2018, 05:40 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I dont have any non-working codes in any of my libraries. I think there might be some on dolphins wiki for VC. Not too sure how to convert them, but probably possible.

You should read my new favourite book btw. Itís helped me understand cats, however I canít find any books on hats :/
Old 4th April 2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboy181 View Post
I was unaware of these changes. Probably still easier to hack them back in then make 30-60fps work for N64 though.
To me, the amount of stuff that would have to be removed/reverted from MM3D to make it the definitive version is so extensive that I actually do think it would be hopeless to try. A playable 30fps in the N64 version, even if it's janky in places, seems plausible.

Right now, Dolphin has action replay codes for the Collector's version that enable 30fps and slow down Link's running and jumping animations. This allows the player to basically have working 30fps to run around the world with; the problem is that everyone else is still too fast. I assume codes could slow enemies down in just the same way as Link, but that's a matter of taking the time to find a code for each one. Is there a limit to how many codes can be active at once?

NPC characters are linked to time, which would probably make a slow down impossible in the same way, but playing the inverted song of time slows their movements already. It would pretty much be a given that the song would be required with 30fps.

I suppose it might come down to hacking the ROM and making the changes there. Either way, I'm sure there's room for improvement over what Dolphin can do right now... it just seems like no one is strongly motivated to take it up. I would if I had any idea how

Last edited by Nerrel; 4th April 2018 at 11:58 PM.
Old 5th April 2018, 01:58 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

It will be truly amazing if someone picks this hack up and is able to complete it. If that happens so much could be learnt for other titles. I want wave race to be 60fps instead of 20, and it would take changing the timing of the entire game to make it work. Iím not convinced itís even possible. I hope that the others who have tried are wrong.
Old 5th April 2018, 04:52 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

What's wrong with the 3DS version? I have no clue what the differences are, but it seems to me that it's a good starting base, assuming there's no isues associated with the 30 fps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboy181 View Post
Iím not convinced itís even possible.
It is possible. Just unlikely to happen, just like winning the lottery .
Old 6th April 2018, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
What's wrong with the 3DS version? I have no clue what the differences are...
I touched on it above, but they really overhauled the gameplay and changed a lot of things, often for the worse. For example, they replaced the original fast zora swimming with slow, human style swimming (like in Twilight Princess). They slowed down the Deku scrub's movement to the point where he can't even reach certain lily pads.
The bosses were all redone to have eyeball weak points that have to be hit to do damage and they now have rigid, repetitive attack patterns. A few segments of the game are broken and don't work as they should. The difficulty was nerfed in a lot of segments and the handholding is pretty ridiculous; ice arrows can only freeze certain sparkling points of water now, for instance.
The song of time saving was removed and can't even be done as an option, you just save at statues like any other Zelda. The music quality is also substantially worse than the original. At some point I want to make a comparison video to show all the downgrades, since a lot of people don't seem to realize how much was changed.

There are some good changes too, but they're pretty minor compared to the mountain of bad decisions in the remake. In order to fix MM3D you'd have to revert all of them, and some of it doesn't seem possible. You probably can't replace entire boss fights, for instance, or add the song of time saving back in.
Old 6th April 2018, 03:21 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

That sounds terrible! I guess it's best not to even bother with the 3DS version.
Old 7th April 2018, 10:28 PM

Default Super Mario 64 actually running at 60FPS

Thanks to to Kaze Emanuar, SM64 finally runs at an acceptable framerate. The physics are unaltered, since the effect is achieved through interpolation. He released the mod on Youtube, go check it out.