Old 14th November 2011, 02:40 AM

Post Miniusf Converter Help

Okay so I downloaded a folder from the internet with a .miniusf file a while ago and I can play it in Winamp just fine with the 64th Note plugin. However, when I try to send it to the format converter to convert to .mp3 an error message reading "Cannot find decoder" appears on the screen. So I looked at the folder and in that folder there is another file. A .usflib file. I noticed if I delete the file the .miniusb file will no longer play in Winamp. Even when I delete the .usflib file, Winamp will still not convert the .miniusf file. If anybody has any ideas or solutions please tell me. I have attached a virus free .7z (6.23 MB) file if anybody wants to take a look at it (before downloading make sure you have a program that can read .7z files).
Attached Files
File Type: 7z s Bad Fur Day (2001)(Rare)(Rare)2.7z (6.24 MB, 5 views)
Old 14th November 2011, 07:51 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

yeah the format converter often only works for native formats, so what you have to do is go to preferences and change the output module from DirectSound or whatever, to Nullsoft Disk Writer.
Old 15th November 2011, 03:48 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsx! View Post
yeah the format converter often only works for native formats, so what you have to do is go to preferences and change the output module from DirectSound or whatever, to Nullsoft Disk Writer.
Okay so I went to Options<Preferences<Output and then changed the DirectSound to DiskWriter. I want to configure the plugin so it plays best quality, however there are many options such as PCM, AC3 etc. also there are many kHz options that I have no idea what it is. So now what?

EDIT: Okay Iv'e tried all of the formats (AC3, OGG, PCM etc.) and the most successful one is PCM. The rest of them are pitches so low or so high you wouldn't ever want to listen. Although PCM didn't sound right either. The pitches were fine, but the quality was kind of bad. Well I guess you could consider my solution solved (unless anybody has a better idea on how to convert)?

Last edited by TheLegendaryJames; 15th November 2011 at 04:11 AM.
Old 15th November 2011, 06:17 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

i just left everything as default and it sounded fine
Old 16th November 2011, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsx! View Post
i just left everything as default and it sounded fine
How did you leave everything on default? Because I may have done something wrong. Sorry I'm totally a Winamp noob, but it would be nice to have specific instructions.
Old 16th November 2011, 12:19 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendaryJames View Post
However, when I try to send it to the format converter to convert to .mp3 an error message reading "Cannot find decoder" appears on the screen.
Actually this just means that the frequency isn't supported by the decoder. For most games this should be fixed using the "Round Frequency" setting in the 64th Note plugin configuration, so you won't have to use the disk writer plugin.

Quote:
So I looked at the folder and in that folder there is another file. A .usflib file. I noticed if I delete the file the .miniusb file will no longer play in Winamp. Even when I delete the .usflib file, Winamp will still not convert the .miniusf file.
I don't know where the Hell you found that archive, but never delete the USFLIB file. USFLIB contains all the music data for the game; there should be multiple MINIUSF files with a small amount of data for each individual song.

A series of USF files do not rely on a USFLIB resource.

Quote:
Okay so I went to Options<Preferences<Output and then changed the DirectSound to DiskWriter. I want to configure the plugin so it plays best quality, however there are many options such as PCM, AC3 etc. also there are many kHz options that I have no idea what it is. So now what?
But if you want to use the disk writer plugin, for Conker's, you should use 22,050 Hertz, 16-bit, Stereo with PCM. None of the other settings matter here, so you can just check "Single-File Mode" to gray all those out if you feel distracted by them.
Old 16th November 2011, 01:34 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
How did you leave everything on default? Because I may have done something wrong. Sorry I'm totally a Winamp noob, but it would be nice to have specific instructions.
i just installed 64th note and didn't touch the settings; but follow Meph's advice now :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephostophilis View Post
Actually this just means that the frequency isn't supported by the decoder. For most games this should be fixed using the "Round Frequency" setting in the 64th Note plugin configuration, so you won't have to use the disk writer plugin.
didn't work for me, but it probably will for others xD
Old 16th November 2011, 03:22 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I don't remember which MP3 output writer plugins I tested that the error message came from. It's been too long since I've had any of them installed since I've been working more with uncompressed audio lately. I do remember that Castlevania [or --LoD] uses 44.1 KHz frequency audio once the "Round Frequency" option is checked to correct the weird frequencies USFs get ripped under due to Jabo's audio code, so games like that should work for direct USF-to-MP3.

Otherwise the MP3 out plugin probably just doesn't support non-CD-standard frequency (44.1 KHz), like the 22.05 KHz frequency other N64 games like Conker's use. For Conker's, it's better to change the frequency to 22,050 Hz instead of leave at the default.
Old 17th November 2011, 02:47 AM

When I checked "Round Frequency" it still didn't work, but that's okay, because your other method worked just fine. The quality is great. Thank you both for helping me out!
Old 17th November 2011, 02:57 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Sounds good, thanks for testing this out.

Yeah, all the audio logging is done at slightly offset frequencies; that's why there's that "Round Frequency" option in 64th Note. But, forcing the frequency using "Single-File Mode" in the Nullsoft Disk Writer plugin is equally good if not actually even better.

Remember though, 22,050 Hertz is only for some games like Conker's. Mario64 and Zelda OOT use 32,000 Hz. CV uses 44.1 KHz. And then there are some unorthodox ones used by MarioKart, DK64 and others.

For N64 you should always use 16-bit PCM.

Last edited by HatCat; 17th November 2011 at 03:00 AM.

Tags
.7z, attachment, conker's bad fur day, miniusf, winamp