Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v1.6

Old 12th June 2011, 03:51 PM

Question Some of my ROMs won't work... Help?

For some reason my Mario Kart 64 (American) ROM won't work it says its corrupt or something is missing...

Also, the following ROMs act oddly:
Kirby 64 The Crystal Shards (American)
Pokemon Stadium (American)
Pokemon Stadium 2 (American)

They seem to work fine at first, but when you want to make a selection you can't move around
(ex. Choosing a Pokemon to use)

Should I delete them? Should I re-download them? Should I get a different download for each game?

Please help.
-Wickeddude

P.S. If I don't respond anytime soon it may be because I'm busy with school.
Old 12th June 2011, 04:13 PM

What exactly is the mario kart error message? It sounds like the message for a plugin problem, but I guess it's not.
Sounds like you need another mario kart ROM, yes.
Try using GoodN64 to check a ROM is good.

Pokemon stadiums use the D-pad instead of the analogue stick. (as is detailed in the manual for it, which would be good to look at, and the GameFAQ bundled with PJ64, and in a thousand other threads).
Same with Kirby 64, and again, it's in the gameFAQ.

Last edited by Alunalun; 12th June 2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12th June 2011, 04:16 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alunalun View Post
I don't know if Kirby uses the D-pad instead of the stick, but try it. Also try getting a manual for it.
Yes it does.
Old 12th June 2011, 05:13 PM

Thumbs up I'll try what you said later...

Quote:
What exactly is the mario kart error message? It sounds like the message for a plugin problem, but I guess it's not.
Sounds like you need another mario kart ROM, yes.
Try using GoodN64 to check a ROM is good.

Pokemon stadiums use the D-pad instead of the analogue stick. (as is detailed in the manual for it, which would be good to look at, and the GameFAQ bundled with PJ64, and in a thousand other threads).
Same with Kirby 64, and again, it's in the gameFAQ.
Wow thanks. To double check with you, I'll make sure to get the error message next time I'm on my laptop. (Did this from my DSi XL) Sadly, it won't be for another week or two because I'm grounded for no reason... (Thank god for grandparents who sleep while I sneak some game time on my DSi ) Thankfully, Nintendo has their N64 game manuals on their website. Can you post a link for GoodN64?

-Wickeddude
Old 12th June 2011, 07:53 PM

Wrt GoodN64, to be honest I'm bluffing. I know it's the tool you're supposed to use but I have no idea how to get it or how to use it. (...someone else help out please?)

But anyway if you get a new ROM, and make sure it has [!] at the end then you've probably got a good one.
Let us know what the error message says.

Nintendo has N64 manuals on their website? Can you link to that? I can only find wii manuals on their website. I sometimes use replacementdocs.com but they're far from complete.
Old 12th June 2011, 09:10 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

GoodN64 is kind of overrated, but if you can find something abnormal like a perverse file size of the ROM image (not e.g. 2, 4, 8, 12, 16, 32, or 64 megabytes) or Project64's ROM browser (if you have that enabled in the program) saying it's a bad ROM based on the header CRC checksum compares, then you've got enough to work with.

Otherwise, GoodN64 is basically just a look-up database. MD5 checksum compares pwnz0r it with a 1,000x Kamehameha.

More importantly the exact error message you got as asked earlier in the thread.

Also it could have just been corrupt RAM rather than master ROM if some cheats were turned on.

Quote:
Nintendo has N64 manuals on their website? Can you link to that? I can only find wii manuals on their website. I sometimes use replacementdocs.com but they're far from complete.
Ditto on all of that. If Nintendo's main site has official manuals then I've been totally missing out.
Old 13th June 2011, 07:36 PM

Default Here's the Error Message

This is the Error Message from Mario Kart 64:

Attempt to open zip file failed.
Missing or corrupt zip file - check path and file.
You may need to restart the application.

By the way, I was wrong... Nintendo didn't have N64 manuals... I guess I got confused with the Wii and Nintendo DS manuals. Sorry about that.

Just wondering... Is there a page on the forums with ROMs?

-Wickeddude
Old 13th June 2011, 07:43 PM

did you try another ROM?
native saves aren't saved as zips afaik, so the only zip file it can be referring to is the ROM. You might try just unzipping it, because pj64 can read unzipped ROMs as well as zipped ones, but it sounds like you need another ROM.

The forum provides no way to help you get ROMs, because they're illegal. You might try searching the internet using some sort of search machine, though.
Old 14th June 2011, 02:14 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

For the sake of singling out the issue more specifically you might just try unzipping the ROM first. It's possible that the encryption ZIP method isn't very common or that the archive is password-protected, in which case Project64 can access the file but not the compressed data.
Old 14th June 2011, 08:25 PM

I just found a Mario Kart 64 ROM that works great. For some reason I didn't know how to unzip the old ROM because WinRAR made it confusing since they all come out as WinRAR ZIP Archives instead of Compressed ZIP Folders and it got confusing... Just wondering, what are the default D-Pad buttons (for Player 1) when playing with a QWERTY keyboard? I can't seem to find them on the Controller Plugin Menu that lets you change your controls. Also, how do I get a save back because for some reason when I went to play Paper Mario it said that it was unable to load my save state when I'm pretty sure I saved it because I played for about a week and I saved each time... Sorry if I ask too many questions... I'm new to some of this so it gets confusing at times...

-Wickeddude