Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

View Poll Results: Should The Project 64 Team Consider an iPhone App?
Yes 5 41.67%
No 7 58.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29th March 2009, 07:57 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurorer View Post
My concept was well, just that, a concept. A working one, but still only a concept. My hope was that someone else would design a better one. The problem with using that iControlPad (or whatever it was) that xcdjy pointed out, is that the the iPhone's only access port is OFF LIMITS. I am serious, I have no idea in hell how that guy in the video was able to integrate that control pad into the game's programing. It is simply beyond me. And yes I know that they will eventually release their source code but that is beside the point. My dream is that this app, if you will call it, makes its way to the app store designated as "fan art" available for free to anyone that has an iPhone. For that to be a reality the game needs to be playable right out of the download so-to-speak, with no need to buy any extra hardware.
With no offense meant, that is rather improbable. Maybe on Cydia (for the jailbreakers out there), it would be more likely, but the App Store? Like I say, it's just improbable. Yet either way, I'd like to see something like this put into action, if only for the people willing to jailbreak.
Old 30th March 2009, 10:38 PM

That is what I originally had in mind. I even talked with Zod (the guy that made all of the other emulators for the iphone) and he was totally for the idea but he just didn�t feel like messing with it. And do you care to expand upon your claim that my idea about the app making its way to the app store is improbable? I mean it is not like I will be breaking any copyright laws. I planned on making the emulator into a shell that would incorporate an individual game with each app. Rather than making it an Individual app with downloadable emulators.
Old 31st March 2009, 04:22 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Emulators designed for an individual game should target what is unique about that game and possibly be able to support other games that are very similar to it in structure, but single game-specific emulators will not improve compatibility or functionality. They may lose attempted generic support for the other games for efficiency and speed, but to write an emulator for exactly one game is still a great amount of work done to support the facts revolving around the hardware and may as well support the others.

Tell us more about the meaning in this so we can understand.
"I planned on making the emulator into a shell that would incorporate an individual game with each app. Rather than making it an Individual app with downloadable emulators."

--R. Swedlow